Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > Clare, Cassandra - Clockwork Angel (September 2010 BOM)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 27, 2010 05:10AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is open for discussion of Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. Be prepared for spoilers.

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare

message 2: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This book is the prequel to the City of Bones. After reading it I can say assuredly you can read this book without having read the Mortal Instruments series. I really liked how it went in depth as to what the Shadow Hunters are and how they came to be.

message 3: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 05, 2010 01:54PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments ********************SPOILERS***************************

I loved how this book went into the middle of the Vampire society. Tess' ability to change into others and retain their memories was interesting. The Clockwork army was a little strange.(I think I've been watching too much Doctor Who and I kept picturing an episode with robotic angels. Not something I recommend watching before reading this book. It distracted me.) I'm still not sure what I think about them.

I did love the Clockwork Angel which was worn around Tess' neck. It was like a guardian angel. I have to wonder where it went for so long before it came back to Tess?

I still am creeped out by the plans of the Magister. Tess was 16 and was going to be forced to marry him. Since this book takes place in the 1800s my guess is this was to be able to control her. Men in that time period had complete control over their wives. I still wonder if the man was truly human. He said he put things in place so that Tess could be born. So how old was he? How did he just disappear?

Definitely a cliffhanger in this book and I must confess I can live with this one. So thank you Ms. Clare. I wonder what Tess' mother was as well as her father? If Tess' mom had no clue she'd cheated on her husband does that mean Tess' real dad could do what she does? Is she truly a Warlock or something entirely new. I keep wondering if the Clockwork Angel is a clue? Could she be part angel? Besides assuming the outward appearance of another creature/person does she also have all the functioning parts? Do the fangs of vampires actually work? How about the runes/marks of shadow hunters? Does she acquire their fighting abilities? I mean if she can capture their memories and personalities why not their abilities? And what more can she do? The silent brother said something about her having more powers. What could those be? Tess is such a fun and interesting character.

Loved seeing Magnus Bane in this one. I wonder how old he actually is in this book? I can't remember how old he said he was in The City of Glass, but I do wonder. I also liked seeing the names Wayland and Lightfoot. Are they Jace's and Clary's grandparents? May need to look up names. I'm not positive whose last names those are from the City of Bone. Will need to whip out my books. I need to see if Cassandra Clare provides a family tree somewhere.

Okay, I'm sure I'll come up with some more things, but am itching to start another book. I'll write more later.

message 4: by ~~*Julie (last edited Sep 12, 2010 06:34PM) (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 43 comments I am not done yet so i skipped through all the posts-- I just needed to get this out.... I read the MI series and loved them but i have to seay I think her writing is even better this time areound! I was hooked from the first page. I can't wait to see what everyone else thought
(ass soon as I am done)!
OHh- but I would have liked a family tree somewhere!

message 5: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 43 comments Did everyone see the Q&A group with Cassandra Clare that starts Sept. 18th?

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Yep! We listed it in our Author Signings/Appearances folder. But thanks Julie. We probably should have listed it here as well.

message 7: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 43 comments Oops.. I guess that's what I get for skipping around!

message 8: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 19, 2010 09:56AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I noticed that Magnus thought Tessa was a Warlock so I asked Cassandra Clare the following question in her Q&A Session:

"Cassandra, Magnus feels Tessa is a Warlock. Usually when people talk of Warlocks they are referring to male witches. What is your definition for..."

She responded,"Anyone with a human parent and a demon parent is a warlock, regardless of gender. Witches are humans who have taught themselves to do some magic. It is a rewrite of the definition, but not a totally out-there one."

message 9: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 19, 2010 10:01AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Next, I asked Cassandra, "Is Mortmain truly human? He seems to know so much about Shadowhunters and all the other creatures out there."

Cassandra said, "He's human."

message 10: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 19, 2010 10:04AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments After thinking about Cassandra's response I asked, "Cassandra, You altered the definition of Warlock slightly. So would it be a stretch to say you also altered that of a witch as well? Yeah, you know what I'm thinking, but I won't ask it. I know I can't get anything more out of you. ;)"

To which I got no response. Do you think I'm on to something?

message 11: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 19, 2010 10:29AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Cassandra also said the following about Nate, "Nate is not brainwashed or enchanted. He is acting of his own free will. This is not to say he can't ever be redeemed, but he's responsible for his own actions."

message 12: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 19, 2010 10:29AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I also asked, "I'm curious about the Clockwork Angel necklace. For most of the story it was just a necklace. Henry looked at it and found n..."

Cassandra replied, "The Clockwork Angel necklace comes from Tessa's mother — and all Tessa's secrets are bound up in what happened to her parents/between her parents and Mortmain, etc. Why is she special and not her brother, etc. It was impossible to reveal everything about the Clockwork Angel without revealing the secrets of the next books, but I also don't think it would be very fair (or good plotting!) to never reveal them. The angel's origins and what it does/was meant to do will be revealed before the series ends."

message 13: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I also asked about a family tree and Cassandra said,"A family tree now would be a huge spoiler! There will be one, when the ID series is over."

message 14: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 19, 2010 10:34AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I also asked, "I was curious however, is the reason Mortmain wanted to marry Tessa because at the time (late 1800's) men pretty much owned their wives or is there another reason that will be revealed later?"

Cassandra said, "Well, "owning" Tessa is part of it, but basically you need to know more to understand what he wants."