Green Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Climate Change > Climate Change & Extreme Weather

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M (last edited Aug 27, 2010 01:01AM) (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) | 337 comments " Any exploration of the biology of climate change needs to clarify what it meant by climate as distinct from weather " Jonathan Cowie

message 2: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK The OEED dictionary definitions seem clear enough:

climate = the prevailing weather conditions of an area, a region with particular weather conditions.

weather = the state of the atmosphere at a place and time as regards heat, cloudiness, dryness, sunshine, wind and rain.

message 3: by Larry (last edited Aug 31, 2010 04:18AM) (new)

Larry (hal9000i) Are we still ok to include fiction here? If so I would recommend Portent by James Herbert. It is a story set in the very near future in which climate change is manifesting itself catastrophically. Giant hail stones, horrendous storms etc.
Portent by James Herbert

message 4: by M (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) | 337 comments Larry wrote: "Are we still ok to include fiction here? If so I would recommend Portent by James Herbert. It is a story set in the very near future in which climate change is manifesting itself catastrophically. ..."

Of course, we still read fiction at The Green group. It's a pleasure!
I'll add your suggestion at the thread " What are you reading this Autumn ? " There's soo many books to read, in any genres, with environmental themes. For instance, some members of our community might be interested by environmental books written by scientists, other members do prefer fiction or non-fiction.
It's The Green group which has always suggested at its members an eclectic choice of books.

message 5: by Marts (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) | 11 comments This post may be going in the wrong place but I don't think its much of a problem. But I saw the thread started with a couple definitions and I remembered that theres this really cool online geography book, its quite simple and can be used as a reference tool, its at the following link:
http://www.physicalgeography.net/fund...

message 6: by Marts (new)

Marts  (Thinker) (thinkersutopia) | 11 comments Added that James Herbert to my to-read list Larry, wow, its seems rather interesting. Thanks for the book idea!!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.