Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Rate your latest movie: 1-5

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) What's the last movie you watched - old or new - and how would you rate it? 1 is bad and 5 is great. And please tell why you gave it this rating.

message 2: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) The last movie I saw was All About Eve, an oldie but goodie, starring Bette Davis. I give it a 5 because of the great plot and because Bette does a superb job of being an aging woman who overcomes her insecurities and finds happiness.

message 3: by Bill (last edited Aug 27, 2010 07:56AM) (new)

Bill (kernos) | 141 comments I watched Target's with Boris Karloff last night. It is a surprisingly engaging movie and in a way is a celebration of his life's work. My only complaint is a rather tinny soundtrack, but I wonder if even that was done on purpose? I gave it a 7/10 for enjoyment and for my love of Boris Karloff, his wonderful face and voice and the chance I will watch it again. I don't involve myself too much in the technical aspects of cinema.

message 4: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta I watched "Nine" starring Daniel Day-Lewis and a whole slew of great women. I would give it a 3 because as much as I loved the movie while watching it, not one song was memorable. I would never buy a soundtrack. I would never find myself humming one of the tunes. What a shame.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I saw Bright Star the one with the girl he had a thing for. It was so good, the cinematography was amazing. It made me cry at the end, and I have only read a smattering of Keats works. Definitely a 5.

message 6: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin Legend of The Guardians:The Owls of Ga'Hoole Definitely 4 1/2 stars.

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI -- 5/5 stars

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I never liked that movie for some reason, Alec Guinness, right?

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments CONFLICT (1945) -- Humphrey Bogart, Sidney Greenstreet, Alexis Smith, Rose Hobart. 3-1/2 out of five.

Pretty much any Bogart film will get a certain amount of approval from me, although this isn't one of his best. But I liked Greenstreet's portrayal of the psychiatrist who figures out what really happened to Bogie's missing wife.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Cindy you always come up with some good flicks. never heard of this one. Will try to check it out.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Robin wrote: "Cindy you always come up with some good flicks. never heard of this one. Will try to check it out."

:) What can I say? I'm a film freak. And since I'm also a voracious reader of film history and film criticism, I'm always stumbling across strange and wonderful films. Thank god for Turner Classic Movies, which is where I see most of them sooner or later.

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10492 comments SPOILERS:

just got home from seeing catfish, a new film that looks like a documentary on a facebook "relationship". i think i read that the film is a hoax, in that, it isn't really a documentary but a scripted film.

not sure how i felt about it, if you take it as a documentary, it definitely pushes a lot of buttons - we were talking in the grey gardens thread about exploiting people with mental illness, and this film sort of veers into that territory.

knowing it's a drama allowed me to see it differently - i guess i'd give it 3.5 stars - not sure how i'd rate it if it were a straight documentary.

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I used to love Turner Classics, something about those old Black and Whites even as a child I remember watching the Prisoner of Zenda with Ronald Colman, and I was hooked. Now have to view Maltin's reviews or look at the library listings. But I enjoy all types of film also. Used to love watching when George Clooney's father hosted the ins and outs of movies.

message 14: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 31 comments I watched In Bruges last night and it's a 5/5 for me. I love the dark humour, complex characters, unpredictability and the setting itself....Bruges.

message 15: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10492 comments in bruges was a treat

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Never heard of the above flick.

message 17: by Lani (new)

Lani (lani14) | 7 comments I just saw Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. Slow and hard to follow if you don't get the financial world.
I give it a 3 because Micheal Douglas is always interesting

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I get the financial world, believe me.

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments I quit watching films with Michael Douglas in them when it seemed every one had a scene where he was baring his ass.

message 20: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments Cindy, you should see WONDER BOYS. Michael Douglas' career best performance, and we are thankfully mercifully spared the sight of his ass.

Don't miss it.

message 21: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Surreality wrote: "I watched In Bruges last night and it's a 5/5 for me. I love the dark humour, complex characters, unpredictability and the setting itself....Bruges."

One of the best of the last decade. Martin McDonagh can do no wrong, no matter what medium he's working in.

Another weekend of the horrendous for me, though I did watch one doco that got 3.5 stars (Ready to Work: Portraits of Braddock, currently airing on IFC). Last movie: Paul E. Clinco's horrendously low-budget Death Magic from 1992. 0.5 stars.

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments I'm glad to see so much love for IN BRUGES, a movie which got very little attention when it was first released.

Robert, did you see A BEHANDING IN SPOKANE? Even the most diehard McDonagh fans (me for example) would have to admit that he dropped the ball on that one...

message 23: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Tom wrote: "Robert, did you see A BEHANDING IN SPOKANE? Even the most diehard McDonagh fans..."

Not yet. It's on the list for next year. The Pillowman and The Lieutenant of Inishmore are among my favorites, though.

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments I loved every bloodsoaked minute of LIEUTENANT OF INISHMORE. I laughed even harder the second time, and the final development at the end (you know what I mean, I'm sure) stopped the show dead, I've never heard such an astonished gasp followed by howls of laughter from an audience before or since.

Maybe McDonagh could film that one, with Colin Farrell as Padraic? I'd pay to see that, damn straight.

message 25: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Tom wrote: "Maybe McDonagh could film that one, with Colin Farrell as Padraic? I'd pay to see that, damn straight. "

That would be an opening weekend must-see, definitely.

message 26: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Tom wrote: "Cindy, you should see WONDER BOYS. Michael Douglas' career best performance, and we are thankfully mercifully spared the sight of his ass.

Don't miss it."

I always meant to see WONDER BOYS -- even rented it once -- but never got around to watching it. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

message 27: by Myra (new)

Myra | 123 comments Watched "Elegy" with Ben Kingsley, Penelope Cruz, and Dennis Hopper a couple of weeks ago. It was such a slow moving film, with a cloudy, wintry feel to it. But the actors were all very good, very well cast for the roles. I'd probably rate it a 3. But you should know that I rarely give anything the highest mark when the marking system is so subjective.

message 28: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10492 comments a few of my friends really liked elegy - the theme didn't seem so interesting to me, but i heard the performances were really good and made it all worth the while. i've got it on my netflix instant queue ... maybe i'll catch it some time soon.

message 29: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 141 comments The Day the Earth Stood Still - 5/5

message 30: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10492 comments the original or the remake?

message 31: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Easy A. I was under a misconception as to what it was about and didn't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would. In fact, I'd rank it about even with the John Hughes flicks the lead character is so fond of. 3.5.

message 32: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Kate wrote: "I've heard it's sort of an adaptation of The Scarlet Letter. "

Not quite, though TSL does figure heavily into it. (I had assumed, given the title, it was a "your classmate dies you get a good grade" urban-legend thing, and with the exception of The Curve, I have a very, very bad track record with those.)

message 33: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 141 comments I finally got a DVD of Sleuth and watched it last nite. It is as brilliant as I remembered: 5+/5.

message 34: by Myra (new)

Myra | 123 comments Kernos wrote: "I finally got a DVD of Sleuth and watched it last nite. It is as brilliant as I remembered: 5+/5."

The original was wonderful! Michael Caine and Laurence Olivier were both extraordinary! It was hard to believe that they were the only actors in the whole thing.

message 35: by Maya (last edited Oct 02, 2010 12:15PM) (new)

Maya (mrskitty) anyone see Buried yet just saw it today i really liked it it was really intense definitely will be getting it when it is released to DVD 4/5 stars

message 36: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 31 comments I'm probably taking a minority view here and won't be offended if everyone disagrees but after watching The Hurt Locker I felt as if I'd just watched a brilliant documentary. As such, I could only give it 3 and a half stars because in a movie I expect more. I wanted the same interaction that I felt with Black Hawk Down and Munich. Despite that, I felt Jeremy Renner was superb in the main role.

message 37: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments Surreality, what what did BLACK HAWK DOWN and MUNICH give you that HURT LOCKER didn't give you?

I saw NEVER LET ME GO yesterday, and liked it a good deal. A very very sad film, with some very fine performances from Andrew Garfield, Carey Mulligan and especially Keira Knightley, who I'd be very glad to see remembered at awards time this year.

message 38: by Phillip (last edited Oct 03, 2010 08:44AM) (new)

Phillip | 10492 comments disagree on the hurt locker comments - i found it to be grounded in realism, and tried to get inside characters who had lost their spiritual center as a result of war. that's the point - these guys are hollow people who have been relieved of their humanity. it wasn't as "detached" as it was not attached to anything you might call human, or humane. despite this quality, i was riveted to my seat from start to finish. it wasn't trying to be an action film, like blackhawk down. it wasn't meant to be entertaining - because war isn't entertaining. for my money it was one of the better war films in the past two decades - along with der untergang.

message 39: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments I was just bored to tears by HURT LOCKER: I never gave a damn about any of them, or what they were doing. I actually fell asleep watching, which almost never happens.

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments Airplane and I give it a 3.8. It is funny and has a wellI guess happy ending for most of the cast.

message 41: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10492 comments Tom wrote: "I was just bored to tears by HURT LOCKER: I never gave a damn about any of them, or what they were doing. I actually fell asleep watching, which almost never happens."

these things happen

message 42: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 31 comments Tom, Black Hawk Down and Munich were both loosely based on true life incidents and there was a definite purpose in the storylines, which was clear to the viewer. I think The Hurt Locker would have benefited from having some central focus instead of seemingly random episodes.....even the meeting with the British group was just another scene......too much of the movie was left to individual interpretation. Sgt James had obviously been a Ranger but even his characterisation was relatively superficial, and if he was meant to be the focus of the film then I needed to relate to him, as I did with James Shannon in The Dogs of War.

message 43: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments Thanks for the words, Surr.

message 44: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Phillip wrote: "disagree on the hurt locker comments - i found it to be grounded in realism..."

I think that's what they were getting at with the "brilliant documentary" comments. I felt the same way WRT brilliant documentary status, but that's exactly why I called it the best movie of 2009; it did have that cinema-verite feel, rather than having some sort of unrealistic plot grafted onto it. (Not to mention because Katherine Bigelow has been one of America's best unheralded directors since at least Near Dark.)

Surreality's comment that too much of the movie was left to individual interpretation is something else I saw as a strength, rather than a weakness, but then I love Bela Tarr movies...

message 45: by Caporegime (new)

Caporegime | 3 comments "Knight and day" (Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz)

Even if its action scenes are larger than life, it is so enjoyable and funny movie. If its comic way didnot dominate, i can call it as Mission: Impossible IV.. I gave it 4/5

message 46: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 31 comments A fair comment Robert although with a situation like Iraq I don't think an added plot needed to be "unrealistic". I realise also that the word I should have used with The Hurt Locker was "confusion" not "interpretation", which would better suit a film like "Picnic at Hanging Rock"......which you might enjoy if you haven't seen it.

message 47: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments TOUCH OF EVIL -- 4/5. I've seen this film several times, and I like it more every time I see it.

message 48: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Surreality wrote: "A fair comment Robert although with a situation like Iraq I don't think an added plot needed to be "unrealistic"

Probably not, but we're dealing with Hollywood. Let's tack on a sappy romantic subplot to Pearl Harbor, shall we?

Loved Picnic at Hanging Rock.

message 49: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 31 comments No disagreement there.......watch Tora! Tora! Tora! instead.

message 50: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5310 comments I remember watching PEARL HARBOR, and thinking that I really shouldn't be rooting for the Japanese to wipe these idiots off the screen.

« previous 1