SFBRP Listeners discussion

08/25 Luke Burrage gave 1 stars to: Deepsix (Engines of God, #2) by Jack McDevitt

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 26, 2010 09:54PM) (new)

Tamahome | 55 comments But was it better than Robert J. Sawyer? :) I remember liking Engines of God better than Deepsix, because it seemed like 2 novellas with 2 climaxes. I enjoyed Seeker, which is from a totally different series, and it won a novella. Perhaps that could be your next McDevitt.

message 2: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 53 comments The only McDevitt I've read is Time Travelers Never Die, which has all the same problems Luke identified with Deepsix, except the characters aren't quite as stupid. The main guy takes way too long to realize he has a time machine, but his friend immediately picks up on Bill & Ted logic -- i.e., they're trying to get into a locked house, so he suggests they take a walk around the block. When they get back, the door is suddenly unlocked. They go inside and he goes back five minutes, unlocks the door, and comes back to the present. There were some really entertaining bits, but it completely lacked tension because the characters kept getting distacted from their mission and would instead go to have drinks with Winston Churchill in the 1930s.

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Sweeney (joesweeney) | 5 comments I read Time Travelers Never Die too. It was entertaining and lighthearted, not to be taken too seriously. A nice change of pace after The Windup Girl