Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > Sept 2010- Zoe by TA Ford *Spoiler thread*

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Aug 26, 2010 09:17PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Zoe by TA Ford

Genre: historical romance

WARNING !!!

This is the "free" discussion thread. Comments in this thread will most likely have spoilers.

message 2: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I haven't gotten very far, but so far I'm really enjoying Zoe. I know its an historical romance, but it doesn't feel as "dated" as most of the other hr novels that take place in the same time period.

message 3: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
I agree, Michelle. I do love how she brings the time period alive though. Feels as if the reader is right there in the thick of things! :-)

message 4: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Maybe I just have gotten far enough in to the story yet, but so far, I'm just not impressed with Gianelli. Somebody please tell me he does something to redeem himself, ugh!

message 5: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Hey Michelle! Gianelli = Julien, correct? (Just to make sure).

He's a bit of a cad in the beginning I have to agree but he definitely redeems himself (at least to me). Based on some things that happened to him in the past, he's become the man he is today but I remember he kicks major butt in the end when he finally gets on the ball to help Zoe instead of putting her in the way of trouble! I actually like the way the author wrote him because he's not cut and dry but a complex man who goes through some interesting changes.

message 6: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing how he redeems himself. While I was reading that first scene with him and Zoe, I was thinking "puhlezze!" I was not impressed with his seduction technique, LOL!

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1373 comments I actually finished the book but I will wait a bit before giving some of my impressions. However, will say off the bat I thought she Mary Sue'd Zoe. And get a bit ragey when I have a Mary Sue heroine.

But I love, love, love TA Ford's writing. There is such a sense of time and place in the story -- it is very----luxurious is the only word I can think of right now.

There is another thread this list about editing issues with IR books. I see that Zoe was self published and I have to say that this is an author that got it right.

message 8: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Tina, if I may ask (and I hope this isn't too OT), but how does Zoe hold up in relation to her second book? I really love her writing as well but I was so bummed to see it's a contemporary romance and not a historical. Any similarities in characters or anything?

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1373 comments No character similarities at all. She really does the Historical romance "thing" in Zoe. I thought Julien really embodied that aristocratic, arrogant hero that really populates historicals. And as I mentioned above, Zoe was a bit of a Mary Sue.

Aaren and Jarrod are very much modern people. Jarrod isn't Julien -- at all even though he comes from a wealthy background. Aaren is bitter and has many issues. Also Aaren and Jarrod grw up together and had a past.

Honestly, the two books are so different plot and character wise, and since there are only two books, that I know of written by this author, there doesn't seem to be a a singular "voice', imo.

The only similarities, between the two books is that there is a feeling of foreboding as you read them.

message 10: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Tina, I am so glad that I'm not the only one feeling like Zoe is a Mary Sue! At least that's the way I'm feeling right now. I thought that maybe I was just being my usual critical self. I don't know why, but hr heroines tend to "irk" me quite a bit. But, TA Ford is an excellent writer. I haven't read anything else by her, but I honestly think she should keep writing historical romance. I'll have to get my hands on a copy of Aaron this weekend. Judging by what I've read so far, I think that one will be pretty good too.

message 11: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

I may be strange but I didn't get the Mary Sue vibe from Zoe. Do you guys mean she seems perfect at everything she does and everyone loves her no matter what? (That's how I understand Mary Sue-ism).

I actually liked that Zoe was strong minded and it was believable (at least to me) considering her father prepared her for how the world would treat her. It dances close to 'over-the-top' but never quite crosses the line.

I have to agree that TA Ford gives a great sense of time and place. Luxurious indeed. :-)

Oh and thank you for the info on Aaren, Tina. I'm a bit overdosed on contemporaries outside of categories at the moment so I'll put it on my 'to grab later' category. I bet it'll be a good read though. :-)

message 12: by Dyanne (new)

Dyanne | 10 comments I'm coming out of lurk mode to ask, "What's a Mary Sue heroine?" I'm assuming she's annoying and unliked but it could be the opposite so, please explain. LOL

message 13: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Dyanne wrote: "I'm coming out of lurk mode to ask, "What's a Mary Sue heroine?" I'm assuming she's annoying and unliked but it could be the opposite so, please explain. LOL"

Well, for me, a "Mary Sue" heroine is a goody-goody in both thought and deed, to the extreme. That being said, I do like Zoe. LOL!

message 14: by Dyanne (new)

Dyanne | 10 comments Thanks Michelle,

I have never ever heard that expression. It goes to show the old saying is true. You live and learn. (grin)

Dyanne

message 15: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1373 comments Yeah, as Michelle mentioned a Mary Sue is perfect in thought and deed. I would add also perfect of form and face and every man who sees her instantly wants her. They also tend to be extremely selfless and self sacrificing.

Cinderella was the ultimate Mary Sue and I guess this relates b/c Zoe is a take off on the Cinderella tale.

I was not crazy about Zoe because I thought she made some unwise choices. I remember reading about her going into Julien's room on what, the second night thinking a girl in her position, given what she knows, her background and expectations should know better.

I think as far as the book goes, I liked the whole of it more than i liked the individual pieces.

message 16: by Dyanne (new)

Dyanne | 10 comments Okay, got it. Thanks for the additional info, Tina.

Dyanne

message 17: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Dyanne, the Mary Sue phenomenon started in fan fiction mainly for SF fandom for characters who were inserted in stories that were completely infallible and loved by all the crew members. It's grown and spread into other genres since then and seems to pop up a lot in urban fantasy fic (especially with it's heroines who are usually wanted by every man whose paths they cross - a la Sookie Stackhouse). :-)

Tina, that's a good point. That was not a wise choice, I agree. She's a smart gal and I would almost chalk that up to naivete but given how on the ball she is about other things, that probably wouldn't fit as a reason for her decision.

message 18: by Dyanne (new)

Dyanne | 10 comments LOL. Wanted by every man that cross their path. Now I'm getting it. I will make sure to remember it when I write.

D

message 19: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I finished reading Zoe a few days ago, and I really enjoyed it. It's one of those novels that I think deserves to be turned into a movie! I'm still up in the air about who I'd cast for it. Let me just say that I've already purchased my copy of Aaren by T.A. Ford . I love, love, love TA Ford's style of writing. I found myself getting so angry while reading Zoe, and I love it when an author can make me feel something (I hope that makes sense!). I think my job me trying to kill me, so I better get off goodreads, but I'll definitely post some more specific points tomorrow :)

message 20: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Michelle, I would LOVE to see Zoe as a movie as well. :-) Please let us know what you think of Aaren!