SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Around Goodreads & the WWW > Series Info Tied to Books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments I think this is still "in the works", but I've noticed quite a lot of books have their "series link" now. YAY!!

To find series info:
Click "more detail"
Series link shown
Click on series name
New page opens with list of books in that series

description

message 2: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 346 comments I just noticed that today and was coming to post about it :)

message 3: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments :) Great minds ...

message 4: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Isn't it awesome? They've been working on that for awhile. We love you GR! ;)

message 5: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Aug 26, 2010 09:26PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Definitely! Much love to the GR staff & volunteers!

message 6: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments The only problem, if you create a new series, only do so on the book edit page for the 1st one.

To add subsequent books to the series, go to the series page and edit from there. Otherwise you duplicate the series not just add a new book to the existing series.

If in doubt post on the Librarian group and many people will rush to assist you. Waiting time averages about 5 minutes. Can't beat service like that.

message 7: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments I didn't realize you could edit them yourself. I think I'll just be leaving that to the people who know what they're doing. :)

message 8: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I'm guessing you can only edit them if you're a GR librarian, but I haven't done it yet--when I notice something without a series link, I'll give it a whirl.

message 9: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB | 169 comments I jsut found a series that was missing #2 and used edit to add it. It automatically adds to the bottom and you have to drag/drop to move it where it needs to be. Wasn't expecting to have to drag and drop... but it worked :)

I'm wondering if they will make it so you can search on these series since the searching for a series seems to be broken on the main search page.

message 10: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments Flib I think they're working on the search part of Series.

message 11: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Sandra wrote: "Flib I think they're working on the search part of Series."

Hopefully that'll be better soon.

I found that if you put the series name in quotes, ie: ["Chicagoland Vampires Series" Chloe Neill:] it works better. Hopefully that'll be fixed or switched back to the "old" way though b/c it used to be a lot easier before the changes. I love the series info on each book and the series page(s), but searching for them seems to have been affected by those changes.

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 36 comments Michael just let us know that series improvements aren't a high priority right now, so we actually need to put the series information in the titles as well as creating the new series pages. That is a lot of work for volunteer librarians though.

If you have a list of series you want corrected or that you can't find by search, I'll see what I can do to help.

message 13: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Thanks, Deborah, we'll let ya know.