Science and Inquiry discussion

Additional Book Discussions > The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W (last edited Oct 04, 2010 04:24PM) (new)

Jennifer W The Making of the Atomic Bomb

I took a class in college on the Manhattan Project and this was our text. I loved how this book looked at the main players involved in the Project and gave their stories. It made the whole thing more real. It also gave a good history on the discovery of atoms and the work that lead up to the idea for fission. I recommend this book. Has anyone else read it? What did you think?

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Vos Benkowski (paulvb) yes Jennifer I have read it and I recommend it to just about everyone I meet. This is one of those rare non-fiction books that encompass so many ideas, events and characters that you don't notice the great narrative. This book also got me started on the slippery physics path. Books like Quantum, 6 Easy Pieces and Einstein (his life his universe) have all been great, though nothing like The Making of the Atomic Bomb.
PS. No Nukes.
Paul

message 3: by David (new)

David Rubenstein | 857 comments Mod
This looks like a great book. I've put it on my "to read" list.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt | 26 comments I have this book. It is a great read. The author's other book "Dark Sun The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb" is excellent.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 363 comments This is an excellent read. I give it five stars. And reread it about every five years or so.

I've read Dark Sun, which is interesting, but not, I think, quite as good as Making of the Atomic Bomb.

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I got the book a couple of months ago based on the recommendations here. I thought it was a bit pricey but then I got it and realized it weighed about 20 lbs.! A hefty tome to be sure. This is one I really wish was available on the Kindle. It's on my TBR list and I hope to get to it soon.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 363 comments Yeah, I imagine it would be easier to read on an ereader, just because of the weight.

message 8: by Afiq (new)

Afiq Asyran (afiqasyran) Im just wondering whether this book is heavy physic engineering or an easy one. Anyone here?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 363 comments The first half of the book is basically a history of physics from about 1890 to 1940. The second half is about how they physically built the bomb.

message 10: by Matt (new)

Matt | 26 comments No, it is not heavy on the physics or engineering.