Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > ISBN 0874311810

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (dreamsenshi) | 5 comments This book was entered wrong by someone who obviously doesn't play RPGs or appreciate that it is an instructional book and therefore still a book. Future complications like this could be avoided by not allowing people to enter titles and authors such as "Not a book," which is clearly bogus and obviously not a person's name. Furthermore, there could be a quicker way to fix these mistakes by allowing individuals the opportunity to send a request for being fixed with a form containing the correct data rather than having to join a group and post a thread... what a time waster?

So, yeah, I just wanted to add this book and wasted my time trying to update it and then doing this. Fix!! :p

message 2: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Fixed. A librarian changed whatever data was originally there to NOT A BOOK. It happens occasionally, people get overzealous.

message 3: by Eva Marie (last edited Aug 26, 2010 04:57PM) (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Jessica, we use "Not a Book" for anything included in our system that isn't, in fact, a book. Many different things have ISBNs and are therefore added into the GR system and we "NAB" them.
If this was a mistake that it was just that, a mistake. I can assure you that with the "NAB" feature GR would be so clogged up no one could get anything done - ever.
I'm not sure about this exact listing so someone else will have to perform the edit but I did want to clear the Not a Book usage up.
As to your recommendation about the form, I think that would be a great waste of time. The majority of librarian perform a crucial service to GR and the ones that don't are removed quickly.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (dreamsenshi) | 5 comments Well, I'm sitting right next to the book, and it is, in fact, a book, with a legit ISBN. All of the other books in its series are in fact listed here without problem, so I don't know why someone thinks it isn't a book. It's the core 2nd ed. Star Wars Roleplaying book.

message 5: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I believe you that it's a book. Whoever NAB'd it probably just made a mistake. The reason we even have the NAN is because we get dolls, coffee mugs, posters, all sorts of things that have ISBNs that we don't want in the system since they aren't books.
Someone probably came across it and thought it wasn't a book and NAB'd it without checking. I'd have backed out myself since I'm not familiar with the book. At least I'd have done some checking and/or asking.
But those other things also have "legit" ISBNs - we just don't want them! :)
At least you found it so it could be fixed.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (dreamsenshi) | 5 comments Okey-dokey! Thanks for the clarification, as it was not clear who had entered it that way; since anyone can add books, it does create a problem where people do have the ability to enter them that way if they so chose just to be jerks; just a thought. :/

But, hooray if it gets fixed! My father-in-law sells books and specializes in difficult to find or out of print books, so my husband and I have books coming out our ears... Goodreads helps us keep them in some kind of order that we can easily view from anywhere and share with friends. I really only want things to get easier for everyone! :)

message 7: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments You'll probably do a lot of helping GR then with the books you have! I think some jerks do come along and more often it's people who add the books but don't know really how to go about it.
I didn't check this one out but Lobstergirl above said it's fixed! Thanks Jessica!

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41693 comments Mod
For the record, there IS a "form" that can be used to submit requests to change book data. On the help page, the "contact us" link can be used for that purpose. However, given that GR has about 10 staff members (not all of whom are involved in dealing with that sort of request, and some of whom are part time) and THOUSANDS of active volunteer librarians, I'd estimate that sending in a request that way probably averages 100 times as long to get a fix.

(The post-to-fix time of less than 5 minutes in this case is a bit faster than the average, but not unusually so.)