All Ears Audiobooks discussion

Narrators that Sound Like Teens

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by 4th-8th (last edited Sep 06, 2010 05:43PM) (new)

4th-8th | 17 comments Jack Gantos--The Joey Pigza series
The Red Pyramid-Kevin R Free, Kathrine Kellgren
Sleeping Freshman Never Lie-Full Cast Audio
Dunk-Full Cast Audio
Zen and the Art of Faking it--Mike Chamerlain

I will add more when I recall the voices.
Please help. I really think my pre-teen does not buy into the YA audo books unless the voices sound like teens.
Humor makes it all the better. Thanks for any ideas.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I thought Jesse Bernstein, who read the Percy Jackson series, sounded like a teen.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnaweyer) Emily Janice Card -

Orson Scott Card's daughter - sounded very teen like to me in her narration of Podkayne of Mars by Robert A. Heinlein Podkayne of Mars by Robert A. Heinlein

message 4: by Julie (last edited Sep 01, 2010 10:36PM) (new)

Julie (juliemoncton) | 248 comments Mod
4th-8th wrote: "...I really think my pre-teen does not buy into the YA audo books unless the voices sound like teens..."

Such an interesting observation - I never thought about how old a voice sounds. But it makes sense. I know many adults don't like books if the narrator sounds like a kid. I agree with the recommendation of Jesse Bernstein for the Percy Jackson series - my son and I still make jokes about his portrayal of Blackjack's voice. Some other recommendations are:

- William Dufris who reads the entire Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale. On his bio it mentions that he is the original voice of Bob in the Bob the Builder cartoon series.
- Jenna Lamia is great in her portrayal of teen girls. She has a very breathy almost ethereal quality to her voice. She was one of the narrators of The Help and some people complained that she sounded too young for her adult character.
- E.B. Stevens does a nice job in the Fablehaven series. His voices for the fantasy creatures are especially good - deep booming voices for giants and creaky voices for the dragons.
- I really liked Carolyn McCormick's voice for The Hunger Games trilogy. She is more known for her adult murder mystery narrations, but I thought she did a great job of portraying both boy and girl characters (ages 12 - 16) in the book.

I'll browse our young adult shelves and see if I can think of more!

message 5: by 4th-8th (new)

4th-8th | 17 comments Great suggestions! Thanks.

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyc) A couple of my favorites are Johanna Parker in
Meg Cabots Mediator series and Katherine Kellgren in L.A. Meyer's Bloody Jack Adventures.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Podkayne of Mars (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert A. Heinlein (other topics)