Jane Austen discussion

Summer Movies 2010 > August 27--The Man in the Iron Mask

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 673 comments Mod
Here, we're discussing the 1998 adaptation of Dumas' The Man in the Iron Mask starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Gabriel Byrne, Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, and Gerard Depardieu. Enjoy!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

An impressive cast, certainly!

message 3: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 673 comments Mod
I'm a bit surprised no one has commented about this fun film yet! Though there are flaws here--DiCaprio doesn't even try for any kind of accent to begin with--the story is one of Dumas' best, with the separated twins, D'Artagnan being their father (GASP!), and the daring plot to put the right Louis XIV on the throne. I love the valiant last stand by the Musketeers at the end. Aging but still intimidating warriors. And as Jeanette said, the actors really can't be beat.

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I watched this last night, and was not impressed by the quality of the acting.

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz Allen | 25 comments Personally I loved this movie. I think one of the last scenes, where the musketeers give one last stand is one of the best. Jeremy Irons is a fantastic actor, as with the others... but for me he's the stand out. I haven't read the book so I can't comment on adaptation to the silver screen, but it's certainly a wonderful movie.

message 6: by Margaret (last edited Sep 15, 2010 01:09PM) (new)

Margaret Metz | 112 comments I liked the movie as well. Good actors. I was surprised that DiCaprio didn't do an accent. It was a fun movie.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments I remember when this came out I was obsessed with Leonardo DiCaprio. I rented it and watched in like 10 times in one weekend.

Rachel I have to agree with you - I do so enjoy the story. The fact that Dicaprio had no accent too made me laugh, but I did LOVE the film.