The County Library discussion

In the News > Should Chick Lit Die?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
Here's an article from NPR calling for the end of chick lit. What do you think?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/20...

message 2: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (bookcrone) | 14 comments I must say that I’ve noticed the lack of women authors in NYTBR and I consider books “by and about women” either women’s fiction or domestic fiction. Chick lit to me was/is Bridget Jones – had to have humor, looking for love, usually two choices one good, one bad and finding the right guy at the end –sort of a subcategory of romance. Then there is mom lit and lad lit. What is the world coming to? I do love Anne Tyler though –one of my must read authors.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I would hate for chic lit to go. It's what I take on vacation, or read in the bath. I think chic lit has it's place in the world of fiction.

message 4: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (bookcrone) | 14 comments I agree. I just hate to see it applied to anything written by women about women.

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) | 64 comments I was really surprised. I have always thought of chick lit as having very specific features that made it chick lit. Chick lit does not need to die but it looks like some folks need to figure out what it really is.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Jan wrote: "I was really surprised. I have always thought of chick lit as having very specific features that made it chick lit. Chick lit does not need to die but it looks like some folks need to figure out wh..."

That is a good point. What is chic lit really? Does any have an recommendations of good chic lit written by a male author? A list of what chic lit really is would help a lot.

message 7: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (bookcrone) | 14 comments Jennifer wrote: "Here's an article from NPR calling for the end of chick lit. What do you think?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/20......"

message 8: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (bookcrone) | 14 comments Jan I think you summed it up exactly right.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Katt wrote: "Jan wrote: "I was really surprised. I have always thought of chick lit as having very specific features that made it chick lit. Chick lit does not need to die but it looks like some folks need to f..."

Katt- here's a nice definition of chick lit that I found on the web at http://www.chicklitchicks.com/about.html.

Chick lit is a term used to denote genre fiction written for and marketed to young women, especially single, working women in their twenties and thirties. Chick lit features hip, stylish female protagonists, usually in their twenties and thirties, in urban settings (usually London or Manhattan), and follows their love lives and struggles in business (often in the publishing, advertising, public relations or fashion industry). The books usually feature an airy, irreverent tone and frank sexual themes.

Some of the most famous books in the genre are The Devil Wears Prada, The Nanny Diaries, Confessions of a Shopaholic and Bridget Jones's Diary.

I have never seen chick lit written by a male author. Actually, I imagine if a male author wrote a chick lit novel, he would publish under a female pseudonym for marketing reasons, since part of the appeal of these books is their claim of being quintessentially female.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Katt wrote: "Jan wrote: "I was really surprised. I have always thought of chick lit as having very specific features that made it chick lit. Chick lit does not need to die but it looks like some fo..."

This is what I think when I hear chick lit. Lately I've been reading book about older women and I've come to think of them as chic-lit too even though the women are no longer in their 20-30s. :) Do you think they'll extend the ages to enclude older female characters?

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Katt wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Katt wrote: "Jan wrote: "I was really surprised. I have always thought of chick lit as having very specific features that made it chick lit. Chick lit does not need to die but it l..."

I think they call that hen lit!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Katt wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Katt wrote: "Jan wrote: "I was really surprised. I have always thought of chick lit as having very specific features that made it chick lit. Chick lit does not need to..."

Hen lit! :) lol