Cozy Mysteries discussion

Buddy Reads > The Moonstone

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) There appears to be some interest in reading Wilkie Collins' classic. Although I've read it before, I certainly wouldn't mind revisiting it. Shall we set a date for beginning and ending, my mystery-loving mavens?

message 2: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) | 134 comments I am definitely interested in a buddy read for The Moonstone. I have the book so I am ready to go.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 161 comments Whenever you all want. I just started The Dunwich Horror yesterday & haven't read much so can switch to The Moonstone easily. Or we can wait a bit if you'd rather.

message 4: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (booknerd69) | 243 comments Can we wait a bit? With school just starting for a lot of us and our kids getting back into the swing of things, it would help if we could maybe start in October. But, if majority wants to start now, then I can figure out a way to get into the read as well :)

message 5: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) | 134 comments October is good for me.

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 161 comments Oct. sounds great!!

message 7: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) Perfect! October it is! It'll be my birthday gift to myself to read 2 truly thrilling mysteries in the perfect month for it!

So, beginning date for the buddy read will be October 1st, ending October 31st. *shivers* I'm super excited! Eeeek!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love to join in and read the Moonstone if that's okay ( I just joined this group). Agatha Christie is my favorite "cozy" reading but I think October is the perfect month for something more spooky!

message 9: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 27 comments I'm in!
I was going to get it on audio this month but I'll wait till next months credits on audible.

message 10: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (booknerd69) | 243 comments I can't wait to get started on this book! I have had it in my TBR pile for years and now I have the perfect reason to pull it out and read it. I'm all a twitter :)

And Maurissa, come join the fun!! We love having people join in and bring in new perspectives and thoughts. Glad to have you with us!

message 11: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) Exactly. The more the merrier, and everyone is welcome to join in.

One of the really good things about this book is that the language is very readable, as in it's not full of vocabulary that needs to be deciphered.

message 12: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17375 comments Mod
Hey, what's wrong with vocabulary?! *VBG*

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 161 comments I'm looking forward to it. I'll be done with the Lovecraft book as it's very short, but good.

message 14: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) There's nothing wrong with vocabulary. :-)

I only said that because sometimes people get scared of reading classics because they think they'll have to read a piece of writing in which they'll need to decipher every other word.

And I'm all about encouraging people to read, especially the classics.

Great to hear about the Lovecraft book, Martha. How was it?

message 15: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 161 comments Very good!! It was a short story, The Dunwich Horror. Creepy & a good buildup throughout the story. It was the first Lovecraft I'd read & do plan to read more.

message 16: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments Back in the day I read a lot of Lovecraft. After you get used to his style (oy) and vocabulary, the books are creepy fun. Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos by H.P. Lovecraft and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by H.P. Lovecraft were good if IIRC.

message 17: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 161 comments Lots more books for my tbr pile!! :-)

message 18: by Sandra J (last edited Sep 21, 2010 05:49AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments Kari wrote: "My favorite was At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror by H.P. Lovecraft"

Oh, yeah. I remember liking that one, too. I ended up giving my Lovecrafts to my son when he went to college. He enjoys a creep factor in his reading. Now I think I'll have to get a copy of The Moonstone.

message 19: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 161 comments Starting tomorrow. At least I finished one book I was reading! I'm excited about this one. I read The Woman in White earlier this year.

message 20: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (booknerd69) | 243 comments I've cleared all other books, except one to get ready for the read! I'm so excited!! This is my first buddy ready :)

message 21: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) And the buddy read BEGINS!

*evil Dracula laughter ensues*

No, seriously. We begin today! Woo hoo!

message 22: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) | 134 comments I'm in the midst of reading Dracula and will begin The Moonstone as soon as I finish.

message 23: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) Ha ha! Me too, Daphne. Although I find Dracula a little creepy. Who knew books from back in the day could scare the living daylights out of you in this day and age?! Stoker was an utter genius. I've been slowly reading Siddhartha by Herman Hesse before bed to counteract the creepies from Dracula.

message 24: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) | 134 comments BookWorm wrote: "Ha ha! Me too, Daphne. Although I find Dracula a little creepy. Who knew books from back in the day could scare the living daylights out of you in this day and age?! Stoker was an utter genius. I'v..."

I can't believe I haven't read it before. It is such a good story with a lot of characters/story lines interwoven throughout. The descriptive creepy writing is putting me right into the Halloween mood. I am really enjoying it and think it will be a five star read for me. Hope Moonstone is as good.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll start reading The Moonstone tonight! We are supposed to have lots of rain and thunderstorms here- so it should be perfect weather for it ;-)

message 26: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments BookWorm wrote: "Ha ha! Me too, Daphne. Although I find Dracula a little creepy. Who knew books from back in the day could scare the living daylights out of you in this day and age?! Stoker was an utter genius. I'v..."

I read DRACULA the first time when I was in the 4th grade. I've since read it several times again and still love it!

message 27: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) Daphne, I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. The Moonstone although a mystery is slightly different. It's a cozy, British, classic mystery. It's like comparing dark chocolate to milk chocolate.

Maurissa, we're getting tons of rain over here too. It makes for the absolute best ambience. I simply brew a cup of tea, curl up on the couch and read my spooky scary novels. :-)

Melodie, are we reading twins? I first read Dracula when I was in elementary school too! It sparked my love of paranormal stories. And vampire stories.

message 28: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments BookWorm wrote: "Daphne, I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. The Moonstone although a mystery is slightly different. It's a cozy, British, classic mystery. It's like comparing dark chocolate to milk chocolate.

Ma..."

Yes, DRACULA sparked my vampire "fetish"! Put a vampire in it and it pretty much guarantees I'm at least going to pick it up and consider it! Of course, a few years after reading DRACULA Dark Shadows came along and Barnabas Collins sealed my fate! ;-)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm enjoying this so far- can't wait to see what's going to happen with this stupendous diamond.

message 30: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) Lol, Melodie! I know how you feel. It's a terrible curse, is it not? :-P

Awesome, Maurissa. I loved the description of the diamond and the history provided for it. It totally surprised me, since I was expecting the stone to be something totally different.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the description of the "shivering sands" and am wondering- do such sands exist very often on a beach? I've never heard or seen of them around here...probably would have fallen in given half a chance, lol.

message 32: by Sukhi (last edited Nov 17, 2010 09:08AM) (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) Never seen or heard of shivering sands, but should definitely google it up. The Victorians (another Goodreads group) is reading The Moonstone for their November read in case anyone wanted to read it but couldn't join in here.

Edited to add: Neer seen or heard of shivering sands outside of the book, I mean.