Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Wars of Light & Shadow--The Ships of Merior - first impressions, NON SPOILER!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Per request, each volume will have a 'first impressions' non spoiler topic so people can post comments that curious readers can view and NOT be spoiled (let them know what you feel, so other readers have a clue whether to take the plunge, or just dip in an experimental toe)

I will monitor all topics for all the books throughout this group read, so anyone new - you are not left out!

What did you think as you embark on The Ships of Merior, aware as you are now that Mistwraith was the stage setter. This volume, truly, begins to unfold the conflict and the characters in a big way - and there is a lot more room for play. Expect to laugh at some of the 'bigger than life' fun along the way, and don't forget to enjoy the tongue in cheek antics of Dakar.

I will add to this topic on a day to day basis - to give you a little insight into the 'non spoiling' aspects of how this book came to be inspired, written, and how the covers were executed.

message 2: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments FOR NEW READERS - while it is possible to start the series with this volume - all you need to know IS included - it could make you swim a bit.

Old readers - if you are just picking the series back up, and don't want a re-read:

LINK TO A SYNOPSIS TIMELINE OF The Curse of the Mistwraith with full SPOILERS:

http://www.paravia.com/JannyWurts/web...

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I plan to re-read Ships in depth soon. Whether I'll wait until finishing my re-read of Curse first depends on how much reading I can squeeze in this weekend. And whether I want to carry two notebooks with me wherever/whenever I take Curse or Ships out to peruse.

And I so want to continue reading with Grand Conspiracy . . . but patience is a virtue. :)

message 4: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Jon wrote: "I plan to re-read Ships in depth soon. Whether I'll wait until finishing my re-read of Curse first depends on how much reading I can squeeze in this weekend. And whether I want to carry two noteb..."

Greetings, Comrade,
I see that you are also caught up in the re-reading loop for Wars of Light & Shadow. We should petition for Paravian citizenship.

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Charles wrote: "We should petition for Paravian citizenship. "

I'm not worthy. :)

message 6: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) Charles wrote: I see that you are also caught up in the re-reading loop for Wars of Light & Shadow">

It is a loop, isn't it! Anyone who really wants to understand the world and the characters in it tend to go back and re-read it to catch all those little things that seemed so insignificant, but really aren't.

message 7: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments I'm reading and enjoying. Right now I'm at the beginning of chapter 3, so I'll pop over to the other topic when I finish it.

I think I'll be reading pretty slowly, so I hope I can keep up. There's nothing worse for me than dropping behind with a big group read and watching everyone slowly get ahead of me. It happened to me with the House of Niccolo series and I stalled in the middle of book 4. It and the last four are still sitting on the shelf waiting for me to have the time and energy to get back to them. I really don't want that to happen with this series, not when I've got so many people to discuss it with.

message 8: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 141 comments Kerry wrote: "I'm reading and enjoying. Right now I'm at the beginning of chapter 3, so I'll pop over to the other topic when I finish it.

I think I'll be reading pretty slowly, so I hope I can keep up. There..."

Lately, I have just been unable to read fast. I'm deep into Wars of Light and Shadow, and I'm on a third re-read. So there's no motivation to hurry. The nuggets I seek are sometimes deep underground or very small. Slow reading can be a blessing, in that way.

message 9: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Jon wrote: "Charles wrote: "We should petition for Paravian citizenship. "

I'm not worthy. :)"

Wrong. :)

message 10: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kerry wrote: "I'm reading and enjoying. Right now I'm at the beginning of chapter 3, so I'll pop over to the other topic when I finish it.

I think I'll be reading pretty slowly, so I hope I can keep up. There..."

Which group did the House of Niccolo? (I'm curious).
I have read that series and understand how convolute it became after book 4 - the payoff is complete, as always with Dunnett - she definitely makes you work and wait for it. (I also love her work)

The group here will give you plenty of cheering along - the contour for this series - while it is complex, tends to tighten the farther you get (as Arc III builds, you will see this) so you might find it a bit easier - time will tell.

message 11: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Amelia wrote: "Charles wrote: I see that you are also caught up in the re-reading loop for Wars of Light & Shadow">

It is a loop, isn't it! Anyone who really wants to understand the world and the characters in..."

Amelia - not so much a loop as a constant shifting of perspective. What you valued the first shot out of the cannon changed, because you get the unveilings that come later, or the volte face changes in the characters, as they grow - so when you look at the first book, it changes dramatically.

This happens with life experience, also.

For some readers, the story truly hits stride with Ships of Merior.

I think it's not so much of a loop as a spiral - when you look back at the events and the depths you 'missed' in the earlier sequences - you see from a much wider vantage.

There was just NO WAY to put all that into the story - it had to build on what came before. That is the glory of the long form work, when it is pressed to fullest advantage.

It will be fun to see how the discussion opens up when you bring that perspective back - though - many of the older readers (Yes, Charles) are quiet because they don't wish to spoil what is coming.

Makes the discussion a little crazy - readers get to a certain point and get VERY quiet - out of respect for those just starting in.

message 12: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) Janny wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Charles wrote: I see that you are also caught up in the re-reading loop for Wars of Light & Shadow">

It is a loop, isn't it! Anyone who really wants to understand the world and the ..."

That's kind of why I stopped posting so much in this group. I didn't want to inadvertantly spoil anything for someone else. I have been reading everyone't comments though.

I think I could spend a lot of time in your books, reading them again, catching more every time, and understanding the complexities of the world and the characters better.

message 13: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Amelia wrote: "Janny wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Charles wrote: I see that you are also caught up in the re-reading loop for Wars of Light & Shadow">

It is a loop, isn't it! Anyone who really wants to understand th..."

You would have a non-spoiling impression, though - from your perspective, what's kept you hooked? Because it is difficult (from stage I) to foreshadow what's coming - it would give away far too much - have you a different opinion, or has our opinion changed, from Book I/II as the series progressed?

message 14: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2117 comments Mod
I'm waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail so I can dig in - Amazon says it'll be here Tuesday. I'm reading short stories in the meantime so that I won't be in the middle of anything that I won't be able to put aside!

message 15: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) Janny wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Janny wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Charles wrote: I see that you are also caught up in the re-reading loop for Wars of Light & Shadow">

It is a loop, isn't it! Anyone who really wants to ..."

Hmm, you are right. Why did I keep reading the series? I think originally because it was something new and it was the next read in the Fantasy Book club. Now I've kept reading because I really want to know what happens to the characters and the world. The writing is very beautiful and has created some great pictures in my mind. In this particular book, I got to know the characters a little better and see how they've chosen to deal with the influences of the curse in their life. One brother has embraced it and the other brother is trying to fight it.

This story has a depth to it that I haven't had in many of the books I've read lately. It's influence had really caused me to think about the different moral implications that it talks about.

And in a way, I'm waiting for that last book when everything will be worked out. (That's what I imagine anyway. I'm sure Janny actual ending will be nothing like I imagine it will be.)

message 16: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments Janny - it's a Yahoo! group called DDANZ for Dorothy Dunnett Australia and New Zealand, but they're happy to welcome anyone from all over the world. They're a great group of people.

message 17: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Shel wrote: "I'm waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail so I can dig in - Amazon says it'll be here Tuesday. I'm reading short stories in the meantime so that I won't be in the middle of anything that I won..."

Shel - good - US distribution was momentarily sold out, but the restock has happened, the copies came in last week. So pleased you'll be aboard! I am impressed, considering your schedule.

message 18: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Amelia wrote: "Janny wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Janny wrote: "Amelia wrote: "Charles wrote: I see that you are also caught up in the re-reading loop for Wars of Light & Shadow">

It is a loop, isn't it! Anyone who re..."

Be fun to see your perspective, then, too.

message 19: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Kerry wrote: "Janny - it's a Yahoo! group called DDANZ for Dorothy Dunnett Australia and New Zealand, but they're happy to welcome anyone from all over the world. They're a great group of people."

Thanks for the info - I'm not on Yahoo.

message 20: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Jeff wrote: "My recollections of the first time I read this was really liking it alot. You start to learn more about not only the brothers, but the other characters as well as Athera itself. Really, as I thin..."

The books don't stop unveiling - in fact, in readying the finished manuscript of Initiate's Trial, the staging for the denouement of that arc (IV) will move all the markers, again. I think this series may not be fully grasped until it is finished - the stuff in book I, and each subsequent volume shifts angle so much, if book I is taken alone, (and measured against other contemporary works) the concepts it presents become skewed, since the driving factors change impetus and the characters grow radically over the course of subsequent events. Part of the fun is that wrong conclusions get blown to bits, later, and the pattern of moving the markers becomes more and more fun.

Does make it hard to discuss stuff, though, as it makes for a minefield of spoilers. The thread for a full denouement is coming. Yell very loud if you want it, now. (and we do have one for all volumes, extant, to Stormed Fortress).

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I'm glad to see someone else feel that Athera is another character in the series, Jeff. I definitely feel that way as the plot unfolds and the magic system is gradually revealed and layers peel away. The Law of the Major Balance is such an important factor, and is also so fragile that I fear for the survival of all involved, the more so as the story barrels along.

message 22: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Watson | 55 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "I'm glad to see someone else feel that Athera is another character in the series, Jeff. I definitely feel that way as the plot unfolds and the magic system is gradually revealed and layers peel aw..."I think that one might go so far as to say that Athera is alive and conscious.