Book Club discussion

Advice

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Cicero | 71 comments Mod
What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a published author/writer?

message 2: by Daniele (new)

Daniele Lanzarotta (danielelanzarotta) | 19 comments This industry is really changing. I would say just do your research and consider all of your options... Mostly important, you have to believe in your work to make it happen!

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) I did a blog post on this recently:

Things That Authors Should Know

message 4: by Terry (new)

Terry Odell (terryodell) | 38 comments Be patient. Read. Write. Don't rush things. It's not a quick industry. Develop a thick skin.

Too many writers, I think, are rushing to self-publish when they don't get a book deal right away. Unless your 300% positive your work is perfectly polished, jumping the gun can backfire, because you'll be associated with an inferior product.

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

message 5: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Get used to the idea of rejection, because you're going to go through a lot of it. You have to learn not to take it personally, but you also have to learn to take your rejections into account and be willing to make changes to your manuscript.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) All good advice, but in a nutshell - be particular and be tenacious.

message 7: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 131 comments research, andlearn not to take rejection personally. I've learn there is no real set path for publishing which is why the advice is always scattered. I did self-pulishing for my first book I did possibly over 60 query letters for it and all were no, no bites to read more. It isn't doing too bad, but I have a publisher who might be interested in my second book.

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (traceya) Have a very thick skin, learn from errors and critiques and keep writing and keep trying. If you decide to self-publish make sure your product is as professional as absolutely possible

message 9: by Trish (new)

Trish Lamoree (tlamoree) | 9 comments I have a few tips --

Createspace.com -- to publish a paperback on a budget
dtp.amazon.com -- to publish to Kindle FREE
Kindleboards.com -- to promote your e-book
Yolasite.com -- to create a website FREE!
istockphoto.com -- to buy inexpensive images for book covers.
Nanowrimo.com -- to get you motivated in Nov. =)

And one other thing... self-publishing has a bad reputation. I understand. I really do. Most authors can't make their own covers, be objective about their own work, learn from their mistakes, format a beautiful book, and make less than a penny an hour for all their work. But if you can, do it. Fear shouldn't keep you from doing what you love.

AND if you find yourself associated with bad work, un-publish it and try again in a year (pen name anyone?) - what would your book be doing in that time anyway? Sitting in it's rejection envelope?

Happy Writing all!
Trish

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Great great great - thanks Trish

I would like to add another free website - I use weebly.com Very simple and I think it looks pretty nice.

message 11: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 131 comments I had a close friend of mine draw my cover, End of the Line by Ottilie Weber has a view point, I've gotten complents on it. I don't know if you have any artistic friends or family members

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (traceya) Covers are very important - especially if you're an Indie because you need to LOOK professional. The average buyer isn't really looking to see who published the book but they will be turned off by an amateurish cover. I invested, eventually, in an artist for my covers and I've seen a huge increase in sales since. Editing is also something you shouldn't skimp on because people will pick that up and it can mean the difference between building a fan base or building a bad reputation. I'm not fabulous, I know that but I try to make my books as professional as possible.

Someone once told me to think of Indie publishing like selling a used car - make sure it's mechanically sound, looks great and price it right and it'll sell.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Walls (annalwalls) Very good advice, Tracey. Nice analogy too.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie | 11 comments I have to agree. I really like that analogy Tracey!

message 15: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Johns (PJJohns) | 16 comments I agree with Terry. Don't rush it.

If I'm honest, I didn't spend long enough sending my book out to agents before I decided to try my hand at self publishing.

Also, if you decide to self publish, get a professional editor! Publishing houses would do this for you, but your on your own as an indie.

I've gotten a few good reviews, but a few have noticed typos, which remained despite a number of edits - a professional would spot these. Fortunately the ability to produce a new issue of the book has allowed me to fix them, but that's not the point. I've tried to make the book as perfect as possible, but as the writer, I miss things that an editor wouldn't.

Finally, you have to commit yourself to marketing your book. It's a long slog, and one I didn't quite expect, but it has to be done.

I'm still learning myself!

And yes, develop a thick skin!

Ps. I third Tracey's comment too. Very good analogue!

message 16: by Doc (new)

Doc (doc_coleman) | 36 comments If you're looking at e-publishing, there is also Smashwords.com. They're not as polished as other e-publishers, but they process your work once and produce a number of different versions of your e-book that are compatible with just about everything out there.

Doc

message 17: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Johns (PJJohns) | 16 comments That's true. Plus they're an aggregator, so If you follow their style guide to the letter, and your manuscript meets their standards, they'll even send it off to be available on the iBook store and barnes and noble

message 18: by Mandana (new)

Mandana (mandanatowhidy) | 4 comments Trish wrote: "I have a few tips --

Createspace.com -- to publish a paperback on a budget
dtp.amazon.com -- to publish to Kindle FREE
Kindleboards.com -- to promote your e-book
Yolasite.com -- to create a websit..."

i think you have some of the best advice on here. i would have said the same thing. i think when it comes to self-publishing or going indie, everyone should take a look over their shoulder way back at when this was happening to music. and you know...they seemed to land on their feet and all the good self-made and indie labeled music found its way. :) \m/

message 19: by Mandana (last edited May 17, 2013 10:52PM) (new)

Mandana (mandanatowhidy) | 4 comments listen...i have to say this has a lot to do with trusting yourself. if you decided to self publish...AWESOME. i mean, i know of a lot a lot a lot of rad rad writers and artists who have been self-publishing way before it became popular. it's the only way they would every want to do it. DIY. that's punk rock. of course try your hand at getting an agent. trust. i have the best agent ever and i'm with janklow and nesbit and he kind of fell into my lap. write for blogs and other things so you get your name out there. have a personality. don't try to come off as perfection. it's boring.
the market is being bombarded. but it will all settle at some point and everyone will know where to take their books (online/groups/specialized blogs) and where to find them (the readers)...cuz that's exactly how it happened in music.

trust yourself. believe it. feel it. do it. \m/

Arcadia
Arcadia by Mandana Towhidy
Mandana Towhidy

message 20: by Jan (new)

Jan (janmerry) | 1 comments Writing about your family is a potential minefield for authors. Today I heard Ashley Darnell of Farangi Girl discussing the dilemnas. I also found this useful site with some legal issues to bear in mind when writing autobiography.
http://www.rightsofwriters.com/2011/0...