SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

All Book Discussions > One star ratings?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Emma asked about your last 5-star rating, but what books have you given only 1 star to?

I've got three, I'll give 2 of them:
The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo (New Age crap, very boring)
Salem's Lot by Stephen King (so tedious and NOT scary)

The other one... well I've ranted and raved about that in plenty, I think all the regulars will know what I mean :)

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Hhaha we know what you mean :P

I have only given it to one: Cry, the Beloved Country (a struggle book, fun...)

message 3: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Lol Lauren... The suspense is going to kill us :P

I've got two; Mayada, Daughter of Iraq: One Woman's Survival Under Saddam Hussein and The Body Farm.

I couldn't get past page two of Mayada even though I tried to read it about three times.

As for The Body Farm... There was just nothing in it to hold my attention. I've read a few of Patricia Cornwell's novels but somehow I can't remember them.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Shame Naz, you can't give a book one star after reading only two pages!

message 5: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments I know I know but honestly is wasn't good. I read Princess only because it was highly recommended by a friend and it was ok but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and won't read it again either.

I hate giving 1-star ratings though. I think that all books apply to someone at some point. Maybe not everyone but there will always be someone who enjoys it and someone who doesn't. Mostly I try having an open mind and try to see where the story goes.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Well, the rating is supposed to reflect how you felt about the book, not how you felt combined with how others might feel, so there's no need to feel bad. Some books are crap, period. If every rating had to take into account the potential feelings of others, every book would have a 3.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Mmmm Lauren, I'm currently reading one of those one star rated books that you'd rather not mention :)

I have some books that are one star rated:
Raka (Oh my goodness, I still dont know what exactly went on there)
King Lear (Super boring and I dont know what all the fuss is about)
The Queen's Fool (Some of Gregory's other books are great! This was a snooz fest)

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Niecole wrote: "Mmmm Lauren, I'm currently reading one of those one star rated books that you'd rather not mention :)"

LOL, spotted it in my news feed. I never read that one though; I stopped at the first. I'm actually a complete blank on the plot, although I know more or less what happens in the other books.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hehe...Dont you think we all know you so well by now :)
Ah same old same old, girl loves boy, boy loves girl, another boy loves girl, boy a vampire, other boy a werewolf, just like all the romances LOL

message 10: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) | 270 comments Ahhh, Lauren not a fan of sparkly vampires, yes? I can totally relate to that one.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL, I think if you wanted to torture Lauren you would tell her to read all the Twilight saga books :)

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I have had a look at my list of books that I have read this year and these are a few that I would give 1 star ratings. Its not normal that you find a book that you cant give more than 1 star as sometimes you find atleast something in te book of value, so to give a book 1 star is a testament to how bad it really is.

Here are a few of mine:

Need By Carrie Jones
Fallen By Lauren Kate
Beyond the Highland Mist By Karen marie Moning
Breaking Dawn By Stephanie Meyer
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I have hated anything that is on Oprah's book club selection.

Middlesex By Jeffrey Eugenides
Edgar Sawtelle
The secret life of Bees

message 13: by Kacey Rai (new)

Kacey Rai | 59 comments The only two books I've rated as one so far on goodreads is Of Mice and Men and Lord of the Flies.

message 14: by Bigal-sa (new)

Bigal-sa | 16 comments The Revelation Project
Eden

Another really bad one I've commented on on Amazon (I couldn't get past the Kindle sample): Birthright

message 15: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments So Mote It Be, Dead Witch Walking and Would-Be Witch.

I see a pattern here...