UK Book Club discussion

Random Chit-Chat > I choose for You, You choose for Me

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Okay here's an idea I had to put to all of you to see what you think.

We've all seen groups where they do a Pick It for Me Challenge sometimes every month, sometimes less often, so I had this idea that we could do a similar thing but rather than just pick a book from your Partners TBR...maybe one that's been there for months and you think they wont read but know they'll like, pick one from your own list/knowledge that you know they probably would never try. The idea is to get people to explore their reading and books. This is not meant to be a 'sado fest' and by that I mean make someone read something thats way out of their comfort zone, but rather if P likes crime but has no classics on their shelf then suggest they read Charles Dickens...... Historical reader who likes a Touch of Romance? then they get Nicholas Sparks. You get my drift? The choice of books should be limited to those that readers could buy from a UBS, borrow from the library or of course purchase if they feel so inclined or maybe even borrow from their reading partner so nothing expensive or obscure. And of course you could always give your partner a choice of either choosing a book from a certain author or offering them two or three books to choose from. There would be a time allowance of say two months to read your boook to take into account library reservation systems etc. Soooo any victims erh sorry volunteers:)

message 2: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Great to have your interest SK:) hwen we have some more people interested I'll match people up, probably by names in hat so it's all fair. Then each couple can swap their titles via the thread to avoid PMs plus everyone can see what each other is reading.

message 3: by Adrienne (last edited Oct 26, 2010 12:10AM) (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Participants:~

Adrienne

sk

Lynne

Liz

Em

Saad

Zoe

Emma

Ruth

Mari

Chris

Becky

Bridgette

Haikufall

Michelle

Charley

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3622 comments Sounds like a great idea! Count me in!

message 5: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments Why not? I'd like to join you.

message 6: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3425 comments Mod
Great idea, can I join in too?

message 7: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments You're in Liz:)

message 8: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
Sounds like a good idea to me :)

message 9: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Hi Zoe:)
There are now 6 of us, so a nice even number. I'll wait to see if anyone else would like to join....If there's no further interest by Sunday I'll do the draw and then we can use this thread to keep in touch.

message 10: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3425 comments Mod
Zoe wrote: "Sounds like a good idea to me :)"

Zoe, Long-time-no-hear. How are you? You must be pleased that your group has grown and grown!!!

message 11: by Zoe, UK Book Club Creator (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 532 comments Mod
I'm alright thanks - had quite a bit going on - left university, been looking for a job, left my old job, moved house, got engaged etc etc so been busy! It's good to see that people have still been active on the group and that lots more people have joined! I'm definitely going to try to make time for this group at least every other day again from now on!
Got a lot of reading to do too if I want to get 50 in a year - still only on 11! Have to read 3 a week to complete my 50 books challenge. Oops!!

message 12: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 3425 comments Mod
Sounds like a busy year. Congratulations on the engagement. My reading always slows when life intervenes! I'm still quite a way off the 50 myself...

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) Would love to join in with this challenge?

message 14: by Adrienne (last edited Oct 14, 2010 01:23PM) (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments I've added you to our list:) sorry I haven't got round to partnering people up, but I've been occupied elewhere. Will post partnerships up asap:)

message 15: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1 comments Can I be added to the list too please?

message 16: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Of course you can Ruth the more the merrier:)

message 17: by MaRina (new)

MaRina Zakaria | 1 comments Great !!

message 18: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments You're in too Mari:)

message 19: by Christina (new)

Christina montez (Gabriellla) | 1 comments that sounds good let me join too

message 20: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments 'Cause you can Chris:)

message 21: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments I think SK has gone:( as all his posts have been deleted. SK if you're now registered under a different name and still wish to take part can you confirm.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky Chapman (beckyrae) | 2 comments Count me in please,this is a great idea!

message 23: by bridgette ✨ (new)

bridgette ✨ (bridgettef) I'd love to join! :)

message 24: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Becky and Bridgette your both in :)

message 25: by Haikufall (new)

Haikufall | 9 comments I would love to Join,

message 26: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments You're in:)

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mybelle) | 2 comments Count me in!

message 28: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Okay:)

message 29: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments As the interest in this has picked up somewhat I'm keeping the list open for a while longer:)

message 30: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sashays) | 2 comments Sounds fun! If you've got any room left, count me in too. (:

message 31: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 265 comments Yay! you're on the list Charley.