THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

Authors and Their Books > SUZA KATES- Whisper of a Witch

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB  | 7274 comments Mod
Suza Kates was born in Jacksonville, Alabama, the youngest of five children. Growing up surrounded by siblings and parents who were bookworms, she naturally developed a love for the written word. She attended Jacksonville State University, majoring in English and biology.
After receiving her degree, Suza pursued a lifelong dream to live abroad, teaching English to students from various countries. A long, cold, German winter caused her to pick up the pen and begin writing. Then she was hooked.
Upon her return home to the States, she taught at a local community college while going back to school herself for a degree in nursing. During the few hours that remained between classes, clinicals, and studying, she worked on her novel, She Who Is Hidden. This book opened the door to a world of romance fueled by history, adventure, and peril that developed into the She Trilogy.
Shortly after graduating, Suza moved to Savannah, Georgia. It is there among the moss-covered oaks and whispered secrets that she continues to find inspiration for The Savannah Coven Series and the various kinds of trouble her witches seem to conjure.
Whisper of a Witch by Suza Kates

message 2: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Thats awesome Rick! I'll have to find some of her stuff to read. I live about one to two hours from Jacksonville, Alabama so me and Ms. Kates already have bond, haha!

Rick-Founder JM CM BOOK CLUB  | 7274 comments Mod
Kyle wrote: "Thats awesome Rick! I'll have to find some of her stuff to read. I live about one to two hours from Jacksonville, Alabama so me and Ms. Kates already have bond, haha!"

wonderful Kyle- she is a member of James Mason- and would be happy to anser any questions or comments you have!

message 4: by Gary F (new)

Gary F | 170 comments Suza,

I find it very interesting how you came about first starting to write. Did you previously have any inkling of your love of writing or did you just discover it during that long winter?

message 5: by Suza (new)

Suza Kates (suzakates) Hi, Gary!
I had written a couple of poems in high school, but only for fun. I tried to write a couple of songs, but couldn't seem to think of what to say. It still shocks me that I'm working on my 5th book!
When I was in Germany, I had finished my very last book I'd brought from home (this was before I knew there was an English section in the local library) and the only way I could get the feel of immersing myself in a book was to write one. It started as something to kill time, then I was addicted.
That first book is still collecting dust, but maybe I'll re-work it some day.
Thanks for the question.--Suza

message 6: by Suza (new)

Suza Kates (suzakates) Kyle,

So few people know where jacksonville, Alabama is! Where do you live?

message 7: by Gary F (new)

Gary F | 170 comments Suza wrote: "Hi, Gary!
I had written a couple of poems in high school, but only for fun. I tried to write a couple of songs, but couldn't seem to think of what to say. It still shocks me that I'm working on my..."

Wow that is amazing. Have you noticed your writing style change or mature as you get to later books?

message 8: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) Suza wrote: "Kyle,

So few people know where jacksonville, Alabama is! Where do you live?"

Prattville, Alabama. We moved here in 2008 because of the military base in Montgomery.

message 9: by Suza (new)

Suza Kates (suzakates) Gary F wrote: "Suza wrote: "Hi, Gary!
I had written a couple of poems in high school, but only for fun. I tried to write a couple of songs, but couldn't seem to think of what to say. It still shocks me that I'm ..."

My goodness...I have seen my style change since I wrote "She Who is Hidden" which will be out in November. It's my third book to be released but only the second I ever wrote, It's definitely different! It's hard for me, because I still want to go back and change things in it.

THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Whisper of a Witch (other topics)