Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Author name - Petronius

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose (new)

Rose | 5 comments For The Satyricon and other works by Petronius, the author's name is written in different ways, meaning that I can't combine the books. In other cases, only the translator is given as the author. I wanted to check what others thought would be the best way to standardise the Roman name.

The book is typically described as being by "Petronius", full name Gaius Petronius Arbiter. The name is also frequently given as "Petronius Arbiter" or less commonly, Gaius Petronius.

Wikipedia says that a mediaeval manuscript gave his name as Titus, rather than Gaius, and there is an edition on GR with the author down as "T. Petronius Arbiter".

What would be best to have as the standardised author name? Gaius Petronius Arbeiter might be best for searches, but it's less commonly given than Petronius or Petronius Arbeiter.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
Did you check the Library of Congress? Which version of his name do they think is the preferred one?

message 3: by Rose (new)

Rose | 5 comments Looking on LOC Authorities, I get several results that all refer to him.

However, "Petronius Arbiter" has far and away the most bibliographic records associated with it. Should I go for that, then?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
Sounds good to me.

message 5: by Rose (new)

Rose | 5 comments Thanks for your help, Rivka.