What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Children's lit: boy living in grey town finds crayon and starts to draw cows or pigs

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Anna My brother and I read this like 4-5 times/ day as kids and I would love to find a copy of it:

A young boy lives in a town with very boring, grey houses. One day he finds a crayon and starts to draw images (either cows or pigs) on the walls. An old lady is inspired by this and starts to draw on the houses, too (either pink pigs or cows).
More and more people start to draw things on the houses, and in the end of the book the entire town is covered by colorful images of cows, rainbows etc.

(You can tell I'm born in the mid 70's, right ? ) ;-)
It is NOT Harold and the Purple Crayon, I checked that already. :-)

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ThisIsThatVeryMab) | 72 comments The description kind of reminds me of The Chalk Box Kid by Clyde Robert Bulla except in his book the boy used chalk (not crayons) and drew a garden (not animals.)

Here's a description from Amazon.com:

"Gregory's family moves to a smaller house in a poorer part of town; the father has lost his factory job. There is no yard at the new house in which to play, but Gregory explores a nearly burnt-out building that formerly was a chalk factory. Gregory finds plenty of chalk in the debris as he cleans up, and the artist in him soars. Even though the kids at the new school don't accept him readily, Gregory is happyfor him the blackened walls of the building become his giant canvas."

Have you found the book you were looking for since your original post 3 years ago?

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6981 comments Mod
oh wow--I have GOT to bump this one

message 4: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (last edited Dec 10, 2013 07:37PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 21683 comments Mod
Anna has left the group so I guess Query Abandoned.

message 5: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2047 comments Mod
I've moved the thread. Thanks for helping out with housekeeping, LG. :)

message 6: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 21683 comments Mod
No problem.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Chalk Box Kid (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Clyde Robert Bulla (other topics)