Role Play for All discussion

Help, Assistance, and How-To's > How to make a character

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RedPath, RAWR. (last edited Aug 25, 2010 05:40PM) (new)

RedPath | 578 comments Mod
A very important part of every RP is the character you use. For every awesome roleplay, there is almost always a group of amazing characters that make things fun.

This topic is here to teach about the 'do's and 'don't's in character making. Hopefully, this will help you create unique, believable, and just plain epic characters.

Normally, a character profile consists of the following:

Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Family:
Crush:
Other:

NAME

Your character's name is important, but doesn't have to be some mystical sounding thing (unless the topic of the RP calls for it). Simple names like 'Rose' or 'Jeffery' are perfectly acceptable. It's your choice, really. If you're very particular about names, there are a ton of naming sites that have the origin and meaning of any name you want.

This is a touchy subject. Really, the age of your character depends on the RP you're in. Some RPs can have age ranges from 5-69 yearsold (unless the maker of said RP has said otherwise). Then there are some RP (Highschool roleplays, for example) where the youngest and oldest characters are only a few years apart. Again, the age is your desiscion.

Male or female, usually.

APPEARANCE

Normally, when some people do this part of the character profiles, they post a picture/picture link. And most of the time it's anime. Most people are okay with this, but some RP makers tell their members to post only real pictures. Many peple (such as me) write a description instead. BE SPECIFIC. "Sparkling, light blue eyes that convey his/her emotions perfectly and often grow wide with excitement" gives me a better mental image than " pretty blue eyes".

PERSONALITY

This is honestly THE most important part of your character. It often kills me when people say this:

"TBA"- Tell us now!
"Like me" -I have no idea what your personality's like.
"Sweet, nice, caring, funny, great" -That's nice. Too nice. She needs flaws! And complete sentences!
"Cruel, nice, funny, and serious a lot" -Don't they contradict each other? Unless he has multiple personalities, which you really should mention.

Basically, tell us about their flaws, their redeeming qualities, quirks, anything about them that makes their personality! (And preferably with too many commas and sentence fragments).

FAMILY

Any family members they have/ influenced them greatly.

CRUSH

No, your character DOES NOT HAVE TO HAVE A CRUSH. But sometimes a little romance in a roleplay is cool. But if they fall for each other, please let them get to know one another first.

OTHER

Anything else about your character that hasn't already been covered by any of the above. Pets, past history, likes, dislikes, what ever comes to mind.

I hope this helps anyone who needs it. I seriously do think that the characters make the RP and are just as important as the plot. Of course, in every RP, the standards change. But these are the basics.

Love,

RedPath

message 2: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 177 comments Great explanation- and I'm sure that there are many people out there on GR and in this group who needed that (though for old pros like us, it's just a nice refresher) teeheehee

message 3: by RedPath, RAWR. (new)

Lol thank you! I'm thinking about copyrighting it and posting it elsewhere...

message 4: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 177 comments tehehee. thats a good idea. you know, we could have a blog devoted to the ins and outs of RPing.....whatdaya think?

message 5: by RedPath, RAWR. (new)

Hmmmm, perhaps so O.o

message 6: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 177 comments hahahaa. It's just an idea. :)

message 7: by RedPath, RAWR. (new)

Could work!

message 8: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 177 comments :) so you wanna do it?

message 9: by RedPath, RAWR. (new)

Sure!

message 10: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 177 comments :) you wanna start it? i dont have much time. (we gonna use blogger? i'll message you my email so you can add me as a moderator so I can post.)

message 11: by RedPath, RAWR. (new)

Blogger shall work. I will create it this wekend, then make you a mod.

message 12: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 177 comments :) okey dokey! lolz.

message 13: by RedPath, RAWR. (new)

Wow, still haven't done it XD

message 14: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 177 comments no. you're a slacker. lolz

message 15: by RedPath, RAWR. (new)

Yep! Meh, I'll get around to it.

message 16: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 177 comments eventually. lolz