Olathe Public Library- GoodReads Branch discussion

Librarian Book Reviews > The Rhinestone Sisterhood: A Journey Through Small Town America, One Tiara at a Time

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 5 comments The Rhinestone Sisterhood:A Journey Through Small Town America, One Tiara at a Time
by David Valdez Greenwood

----
Greenwood offers an entertaining look at small-town festival queens. These royals are not your stereotypical beauty queens; they kiss frogs, mount cattle, and chase pigs, all while wearing enormous tiaras and flashing winning smiles. Greenwood portrays festival queendom in a respectful manner, giving the reader an inside-look at the festival circuit. At times, the material seems too thin to warrant an entire book; however, it’s easy to get wrapped up in the quirky tradition of festival royalty

message 2: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 48 comments Mod
Ah yes...don't know about other parts of the country, but the midwest is royal territory. Seems every small town festival has its own version. And don't forget the rodeo queens!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 22 comments I'm picking up this book at the library today. Your review made it sound really interesting!

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie | 5 comments Rachel, I hope you like it. One other thing I didn't mention, though, is that I wish Greenwood included more pictures! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 22 comments Katie wrote: "Rachel, I hope you like it. One other thing I didn't mention, though, is that I wish Greenwood included more pictures! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it."

I started reading last night. So far I'm really enjoying the book. I like the descriptive language the author uses. When I started reading I was surprised to see that the author was a man. I wouldn't think that many would be interested in this topic.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 22 comments I finished reading this book a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it! I agree with you Katie, that I would have liked more pictures too. I think this book would make a really good movie. It reminded me of The Sisterhood of the Traveling pants. There were a few parts though that I had a hard time keeping track of the girls and what titles they held, but I don't hold that against the book.

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie | 5 comments Rachel, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I agree; I think it would make an excellent documentary.