Goodwriters for Goodreads discussion

Writing > Writing Prompts

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Something that really helped Lacey and I out in Creative Writing class a couple years ago were these writing prompts. It really helps when one is stuck and since lately the Writer's Block topic has been really active I figured I'd start these prompts in case anyone wanted to try them.

Every morning (on the weekdays, my friends) I'll add a little writing prompt to get that author's brain working :)

I know it's not morning, but I'll start this all today. Here goes...

"Love is fickle... -Think of a time when this was true in your life, or your character's life-"

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 26, 2010 05:11PM) (new)

Thursday morning's prompt:

"Write about what happens when your character gets stuck in an elevator with their least favorite person."

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Friday's prompt:

"What object best represents you? Write about why."

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Monday's prompt:

"What is the one thing in the whole wide word that your character wants the most? Write about what happens when they get it."

message 5: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) In many of my stories, my characters want someone to depend on no matter what. For many years in their lives they have relied on themselves or the person they used to trust more than anything let them down. The way my characters learn about each other is usually by saving the world as they know it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

If only all characters could take charge as such lol.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 31, 2010 08:32AM) (new)

Tuesday's prompt:

"Your character loses their scarf (insert desired item here if they don't wear scarves). Who picks it up? Write about it."

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Sep 01, 2010 07:01PM) (new)

Lisa Kumar (lisa_kumar) | 77 comments I decided to try Tues. prompt using some of my characters. Never have tried this before, so hope all goes well :)

Maggie kicked on the leaves crunching underfoot. Ever since coming back from Eria, she had felt aimless, lost.

But what did she miss? Or what is who? There was Kenje -- friendly, smiling Kenje. And Avrin, whose genteel sophistication warmed while it soothed.

She frowned. There was also the king, Talion. She definitely didn't miss him. She shivered in the cold Wisconsin wind, hands going up to tighten her scarf.

It wasn't there. Sighing, she started to turn around to backtrack, only to abruptly stop when a gentle hand wrapped a woolen scarf around her neck. Her scarf.

She whirled around, mind alive with suspicions. There were only so many people who could sneak up on her like that, and they all came from the same place. Eria.

The sight that met her eyes made her freeze. It was him.

message 9: by Lacey, The Page Turner (new)

Lacey | 161 comments Mod
Hey Lisa, I liked it! Oooo!! Very good!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kumar (lisa_kumar) | 77 comments Lacey wrote: "Hey Lisa, I liked it! Oooo!! Very good!"

Thanks!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

That was really cool, Lisa! I'm glad someone tried a prompt lol!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

And since I forgot about today's prompt (had an interview to go to *grimace*) here it is:

Wednesday's supposed to be prompt:

"Your preteen daughter wants you to tell her how she'll know when she's in love. What do you tell her?"

The above prompt is borrowed from a book from our group's reading shelf, OUTWITTING WRITER'S BLOCK: AND OTHER PROBLEMS OF THE PEN by Jenna Glatzer.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kumar (lisa_kumar) | 77 comments Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was okay to post my little snippet here, but I didn't know where else it would be visible as a response to a prompt.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Here is perfectly fine! lol I liked that prompt!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Thursday morning's prompt:

"You character gets hurt. Badly. Who does she call?"

GHOSTBUSTERS! lol sorry... couldn't resist.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kumar (lisa_kumar) | 77 comments Katie wrote: "Here is perfectly fine! lol I liked that prompt!"

Me, too! You gave a very good prompt :)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Friday morning's prompt:

"It was a dark and stormy night..." Spice this one up with your own personal style!

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kumar (lisa_kumar) | 77 comments It was a dark and stormy night, Cal thought without humor, pulling her coat tighter around her. All she wanted was to be home with Relian, cuddling. But no, she was stuck out here, sloshing around in the puddles. All because of Maggie, who hadn't bothered to show up. She swiped away the concern. Maggie was fine. After all, she had been acting flaky, so Cal shouldn't be surprised.

She quickened her pace. Just around the corner, home awaited -- and Relian.

Flinging the wet hair out of her eyes, she reached for the doorknob, only to have the it ripped out of her hand when the door opened.

Relian grabbed her to him, mindless of her dripping attire. Her scowl turned to a smile. Well, if he wanted to greet her that way and didn't care... She melted into his embrace, knowing he would warm her.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "It was a dark and stormy night, Cal thought without humor, pulling her coat tighter around her. All she wanted was to be home with Relian, cuddling. But no, she was stuck out here, sloshing aroun..."

Awww! It makes me smile lol. Where can I get my own Relian?

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kumar (lisa_kumar) | 77 comments Katie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "It was a dark and stormy night, Cal thought without humor, pulling her coat tighter around her. All she wanted was to be home with Relian, cuddling. But no, she was stuck out here, s..."

Glad it made you smile :) Relians are in short supply on earth. You'll have to go to Eria to get one of your own. There are also many other elvin males who would be happy to take Relian's place :)

Unfortunately, that land only exists in my mind and, of course, in my novel!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

:( No fair! lol

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Monday's Prompt:

"Write a letter to your favorite author."

Borrowed from OUTWITTING WRITER'S BLOCK.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Since I'm going to be starting a new job tomorrow and probably won't have time to post anything until very late, I'll just give you Tuesday's prompt too:

"What is your character's greatest trait? How does it conflict with your character's worst trait?"

message 24: by JC (new)

JC (ainathiel) See this is one of my problems, I can see all the good things about my characters. I don't always see the bad. Even when I decide they will have this problem. I don't think I express it clearly.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kumar (lisa_kumar) | 77 comments Katie wrote: "Since I'm going to be starting a new job tomorrow and probably won't have time to post anything until very late, I'll just give you Tuesday's prompt too:

"What is your character's greatest trait..."

Have a good first day tomorrow.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "Katie wrote: "Since I'm going to be starting a new job tomorrow and probably won't have time to post anything until very late, I'll just give you Tuesday's prompt too:

"What is your character's ..."

Thanks, Lisa! It went well, but it's raining all through the lunch rush and even afterwards annnd he sent me home early, but hopefully tomorrow I'll get some more good training in!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

What kind of job is it? I really want to work at Barnes and Noble or something so that I get discounts.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a sandwich shop lol. I get to wear a hat and tuck my shirt in :/ But at least everyone of us looks like that! hee hee. I'm just glad I have a job.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

That's so cool. I would love to work at a place like that.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol really? It's not too bad, I guess lol.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

It reminds me of this little sandwich and ice cream shop that my sister used to take me to. It was very cute and I loved it.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol it's pretty good... It's not open real late, which is also pretty nice...

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Wednesday's Prompt:

"Your character has come face to face with their greatest fear... What do they do?"

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kumar (lisa_kumar) | 77 comments Katie wrote: "Lol it's pretty good... It's not open real late, which is also pretty nice..."

My first job was working in a GL Perry store, which was a cross between a Kmart and a Dollar Store -- at least that's how it seemed to me :) Paid just enough for gas, spending money, and most importantly, books ;D

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol yeah. I worked at a hamburger place 6 months ago. That was my first job. It wasn't so bad. But the only thing I don't like about this new job is the uniform. I have to wear a hat, and every day after work I come home with hat hair lol.

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Kumar (lisa_kumar) | 77 comments Katie wrote: "Lol yeah. I worked at a hamburger place 6 months ago. That was my first job. It wasn't so bad. But the only thing I don't like about this new job is the uniform. I have to wear a hat, and every day..."

I would hate having to wear a uniform,or a hat, for that matter. My second job was working in a group home with MR (mental retardation) residents. That job was fun but challenging.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol yeah, that sounds like it would be a challenge.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Thursday's prompt:

In light of my getting a job this week,

"What was your first job? Write about your first day of work." (Or your dream job, if you haven't entered the workforce yet lol)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Agh! I can't believe I haven't been keeping up with these! I'm sorry everyone! I must do some catching up for Friday's and today's :)

Friday's prompt:
"If you could have any super power, what would it be and how would you use it? (can also be used for any of your characters)"

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Monday's prompt:
"Stranded in the desert... when you or your character finds something invaluable. What do you/they do?"

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Tuesday's prompt:
"He left his hat on the table... She picked it up." Write about it. Make it your own.

message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 14, 2010 12:13PM) (new)

"Fine!" William slammed his hat on the table. "I'm done!" And he stormed from the house.

Marie was seething. She was angry beyond words. Nothing she ever did was right. No matter how hard she tried, she was always wrong in his eyes. Why did she even love him? She couldn't remember when William had been sweet and caring. All she saw was the bitter man who scorned her. The times when she was all he needed were like another life. So distant and cold. Her heart yearned for the warmth of their young love. Marie had been so full of fiery passion that she almost couldn't stand it. What went wrong?

Suddenly, a shrill tone rang out. Marie's ears were red. "Now you want to apologize?" she muttered. But once she answered the phone and heard the sirens, all the blood drained from her face. She could barely understand the man on the other line, but what she caught, she understood.

"I'm sorry, ma'am." And the line went dead.

The phone slipped from her hands, hitting something off the table. The hat. Marie dropped to her knees in hopes of maybe turning back time. He left his hat. She picked it up.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Megan wrote: ""Fine!" William slammed his hat on the table. "I'm done!" And he stormed from the house.

Marie was seething. She was angry beyond words. Nothing she ever did was right. No matter how hard she trie..."

:0!!!

You can't leave it like that!!! :(

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

It was so weird. I saw your prompt and suddenly I had to write. I felt very proud of myself. haha

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Megan wrote: "It was so weird. I saw your prompt and suddenly I had to write. I felt very proud of myself. haha"

It was very good! lol I'm glad you shared it! :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Since I know that I'll be wanting sleep in the morning before work, I'll just post the next prompt :)

Wednesday's Prompt:
"After waking up in the middle of the night, your character sees a shadow on the wall. Who, or what, does it belong to?"

That one feels a teensy bit creepy to me, but oh well! Makes for a fun halloween one! Darn! Now I'll have to come up with another scary one for that holiday!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Thursday's prompt:
"What is your greatest fear?" Write about what happens when you come face to face with it.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

And since I work a long shift tomorrow 11-5 central time, I'm just going to post friday's tonight :)

Friday's prompt:
"They were the best of times... They were the worst of times." Make it creative.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Monday's prompt:
"The candle went out..." Try it :)

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Good news everyone! I'm off for the next two days! Bad news! I might be coming down with bronchitis! Agh!

With that said, let me post tomorrow's prompt :)

Tuesday:
"I was drowning..." In what? Where? How? Why? Answer these :)

« previous 1 3