Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Musings for Labor Day - Your Favorite Job

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
I thought we might begin our Labor Day celebration by thinking about our favorite jobs. Feel free to list yours and tell us why you liked the job.

And a Note from History -- Labour Day or Labor Day is an annual holiday to celebrate the economic and social achievements of workers. Labour Day has its origins in the labour union movement, specifically the eight-hour day movement, which advocated eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest.

message 2: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (foggyone) | 5 comments I think there are parts of jobs that are my favorite things, rather than one job being my favorite. I am currently a public librarian. If I didn't enjoy it, I don't think I'd be doing it. However, with this, and all jobs I've held, there are specific aspects I like:

Librarian -- Helping someone find exactly what he or she wants (even if he or she is not sure what that is).

Substitute teacher -- working one on one with students and see them "get it".

Car rental agent -- getting paid to do nothing but drive when someone needed something (more minivans, for example) at a different office.

McDonald's grill worker -- talking and laughing with my coworkers (and realizing that the entire place was being run by a bunch of under-18s).

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments My favorite job is writing books!

My second favorite job was working for an ophthalmologist doing front desk. I did it for nine years. The doctor had been in practice a long time and had many established patients, all very nice people. The thing with eye trouble is that patients can really be helped, either with meds or glasses. I enjoyed it.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Working at the Day school in New braunfels...loved the kids and got to play! :D Can't do that at Lifeway now. LOL

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Daley (margaretdaley) | 202 comments My favorite is writing books and my second one is teaching. I love combining teaching and writing when I teach at a conference.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (kathyeberly) | 138 comments My favorite job is writing books but since I haven't written too many of them, I like my present job which is being a human service technologist with mentally and developmentally disabled adults. It's just a simple word for caregiver. I like my job because I bring joy to those I work with. They don't ask for much and are happy with small things.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments Teaching is my favorite job, and I am blessed to be doing that at the present time. I adore working with children and marveling in their innocent outlook on things. Teaching at a Christian school gives me the joy of seeing the students eyes light up with new discoveries, and, at times, the exuberance of a new Christian faith. Each day is different and each class is different, so it's never boring, although some days do end up being trying or discouraging. My colleagues are all Christians too, so we are very supportive of each other and pray for each other.
I have also worked at two libraries, JoAnn Fabrics, and K-mart. I enjoyed each of those in certain ways also.

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments I used to worked at Mcdoualds for sixteen years until 2004. I used to volunteer work at library for short time. Now I am Petsitter, love it . It will be five years next year.

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments My favorite job is writing! I've never had so much fun. After that, research librarian comes pretty close. I love finding the answer to research questions. It's like solving a mystery without the danger.

message 10: by Sandie (new)

Sandie Mixa (goodreadscomsandie) | 19 comments My favorite job is being a mom. But my favorite job for money is being a teacher. As Barb said, the joy of seeing children learn and how excited they get about things. I teach in a public school and I'm so happy I get to influence these kids with Christian principles by my example, when they ask questions, and when we talk about the character counts values.

message 11: by Heidi (last edited Aug 30, 2010 12:27PM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Sandie wrote: "My favorite job is being a mom. But my favorite job for money is being a teacher. As Barb said, the joy of seeing children learn and how excited they get about things. I teach in a public school..."

I was going to say the same thing Sandie :) I LOVE being a mom and wife more than any job I have ever had! :) I love that you and so many other Christian teachers here show your Christian light, even in our public schools. That makes this mom with a student in public school feel good to know :) Thanks to all you teachers who do that!

message 12: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
I loved being a mom! And a teacher! And a babysitter! And weighing people at WeightWatchers--yes, for 13 years! And I love being a writer.

My best boss was the late Betty Gray in Waukegan and Betty Gray's Salon!
Hope you're all having a good last few days of summer!

message 13: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Kingery (goodreadscomlaurie_kingery) | 137 comments My favorite job besides writing was being a helicopter nurse, for Life Flight back in 1983. Most fun I ever had in nursing.

Happy Labor Day weekend, y'all!
Blessings, Laurie Kingery