fantasy book lovers!! discussion

group reads > Mockingjay *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) what does everyone think about this book?

i am only on chapter 5 so far but i love it already and i hate having to put it down.

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 45 comments Just finished it a while ago. I could not put the book down. Thought about it 24/7. I think what kept me reading was wondering who Katniss was going to end up with. It's a great read but i give it 3.5-4 stars.

message 3: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) yeah i keep thinking about it too its very addictive

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 61 comments Hi guys i just finished reading it last night, and i still had to go back to reread the last couple of pages bcuz i was still kinda well speechless. It kept me reading bcuz i wanted to know who she ended with. Im a peeta fan but the way that it happend was well i actually felt bad about how things kinda ended dont get me wrong im extatic that she ended with peeta and they have kids but it felt wrong how Gale was not even an option after her sister thing, then he dosent even try to win her he just abandons her after giving her the sling to keep her arrow, i mean not even a goodbye or anything and all we know is he;s now in district 2, and the mom just writes her a letter thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT GET ME WRONG i love how her and Peeta eventually grew back together and that he satisfied the hunger she knew gale wouldnt be able to but still it was well i have no words to explain. Then the epiloge that peeta wanted kids bad and it took what 15 years and that the kids will learn that their parents were in the hunger games. Oh and that they wrote a book about everything that happened to them............. I dont know what to think im glad about her life with peeta but they only what mentioned 2pages of them finally together, i DONT know what to say.
Anyone what to talk about it with me i could totally want to hear what you all thought cuz im still kinda "What thats it, everything they went through"

message 5: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i feel the same way it sounded like she settled for Peeta when throughout the book she seemed to prefer Peeta.

message 6: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 45 comments I so agree with you both. I prefered Peeta over Gale but for Gale not to even fight for her felt so wrong. I wanted him to fight for his love and he didn't. Peeta even went back to Katniss and he was still afected by being hijacked. He was confused about his feelings but still managed to make it back to her. I am also happy that they had kids but that it took them that long and not knowing anything about all the other characters left me wanting so much more and craving another ending.

message 7: by Kasey (new)

Kasey I haven't finished yet, but I've liked Gale from book 1. I always felt bad for him, he didn't get much of a chance once she went to the games. Everything kept pushing her and Petta to "pretend" to be together. But Gale is more my style. Peeta was just to perfect to me. I liked him, but I always prefer the guys who well just aren't so perfect.

I already heard about Gale not fighting and her seeming just fine about him leaving. For them to have been best friends and all before this possible romance I think I'm going to have a hard time believing that as realistic.

I also find Katniss still to childish for what she has been through. She is seventeen I know lots of soldiers who have fought in the war who are just a year older and they come back far more changed than she is. They grow up, it makes you. I get she is still a kid, but I find her less likeable for me than in the first book. It just seems like she has gone down hill for me (I know everyone is not going to agree, that's just my opinion) I think I would have liked to see her mature a little more. She had some moments, but overall it just didn't seem realistic for her to not have grown up more than that.

That being said I'm only about halfway through right now, but I am liking it. But I'm not expecting it to be five stars worthy.

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo I really liked the book but it wasn't what i was expecting. The ending more than anything. I was expecting them to win and for it to be full of hope but she ended up in 12 pretty much alone and everyone had abandonned her. I was most shocked by Gale and her mum. Gale because he loved her and her mum because she had just lost one child and she had abandonned the only family she had left. I thought this book was a lot more depressing than the others and also a lot more grown up. Lots of bad things happened but they didn't all get better. That's realistic but a bit morbid for a YA book. If i had a child that was about 13ish i wouldn't want them to read this. I would let them read the first too but this one just made me think about how unfair life is and even if you win the war, it doesn't mean you are much better off. There is the aftermath and all of the psychological problems that people have to deal with after. But overall i really liked the book, i would have liked a bit more at the ending showing how they dealt with it and how Katniss and Peetas relationship developed.

message 9: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 102 comments I loved this book. The fact that they ended up together made my day, especially since they're both damaged, and now the two broken people might make one whole. I love it. It was sad, but necessary and just a brilliant ending IMHO!

message 10: by Kasey (new)

Kasey Okay I've finally finished the book. I thought it was pretty good. Katniss drove me crazy in the beginning.and several times throughout, but I felt pretty bad for her in the end. She was all alone for so long. And what is with a trial that the accused doesn't even attend. And to play her up as mental ill to get off. Why not the fact that Coin killed those kids, her sister, trying to start a new Hunger Games. These people are idiots sometimes. I think Peeta was the better choice for Katniss. I on a personal level like Gale more, but I thought Peeta became a more layered character after he came back. Gale and Katness' relationship just slowly changed. I think they may have ended up together if she had never gone to the games, but from the time there was a rebellion they saw things to different and wanted to go in such different directions. Funny was as soon as Joanna came back into the picture I thought she was more on track with the type of person Gale is. I think I felt a little bereft with the ending, but oh well. I would have liked to know more of Peeta and Katniss falling in love and what the heck happened to Gale and her mom.

message 11: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 61 comments Kasey wrote: "Okay I've finally finished the book. I thought it was pretty good. Katniss drove me crazy in the beginning.and several times throughout, but I felt pretty bad for her in the end. She was all alo..."

Hey Kasey, well Gale stayed in district 2 (got a good paying job there) without saying bye or anything to katniss and her mom went to district 4 to help start a hospital cuz she couldent bare to go back to 12 b/c of the momories of her husband and daughter death, which leaves katniss alone!

message 12: by Kasey (new)

Kasey LOL ;) nope I got the gist of that from the book. I was just meaning. They kinda bailed on her. Those were the people she loved, her family. She spent so much time trying to protect them even before the games with the hunting and all. And then after the games constantly worrying about them being used against her and hurt just like Peeta was. Then of course her sister being used that way. Usually families try to help each other in times like that. I kinda felt like I needed more than that for them to just abandon her like that. It seemed so cold.

I'm glad her and Peeta aren't alone, but I have to say it was a pretty sad ending. The two faces of the rebellion both used by everyone and abandoned to district 12 as far away as they could put them once everyone got what they wanted from them.

message 13: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 45 comments That is so true Kasey. They used them to get what they wanted and then they just abandoned them like they never existed and didn't matter.

message 14: by Kasey (new)

Kasey Yeah I just kept thinking about it last night. In all honesty I think Katniss and Peeta probably would have chose a quiet life. It just kinda irritated me that it wasn't a choice. And they would have been able to travel visiting or have options of jobs to keep them busy and make them feel better like her mom got.

And I don't remember hearing who became president and much about this new government they fought for. Is it fair or more fair.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 11 comments I thought the ending was very sad. It was perfect in the sense that nothing can be beautiful any more. Their love cannot be beautiful anymore, nor easy. They went through war and come out damaged and different people. She never knew if she really LOVED Peeta and it shows all the way up to the end. She didn't "settle" for Peeta so much as she went to what was good and right for her. Love is not an emotion it's an action, as my grandmother would say. Peeta showed that he loved her and she turned where she should naturally go after what they have been through. I love that she writes so brutally. It is very painful to read, but if she did not write it that way, then it would not have been realistic and true to the rebellion, the characters and the nature of what war can do to you. I gave it 5 stars.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

lots of sad in this book. but quite happy with the ending. loved that she chose peeta. :D

message 17: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana | 4 comments I liked the book,but that's about it...I was expecting strong Katniss,not the feel sorry for herself the entire book Katniss.Her mission to kill Snow felt pointless and complete waist of time since she did not do it except killing all her friends and people I liked on her way.I didn't even get to see the ending of the war since she woke up in the hospital,so it was a bummer for me!One thing I was excited when she killed Coin...

message 18: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Loved the series and the final instalment was no exception, however the ending was a little disappointing. I would have loved to actually read about Katniss and Peeta ending up together in the end instead of being told about it, if that makes any sense. That said I have read the book about six times, lol.

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 61 comments I havent picked up the book since i finished it but even know thinking about it i agree the ending was a little like : What thats it?

message 20: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 61 comments Hi everyone have you all seen the trailer for The Hunger games???????

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

YES! IM SOOOO EXCITED!

message 22: by Rimsha (new)

Rimsha Salam (rimshasalam) | 3 comments Wendy wrote: "Loved the series and the final instalment was no exception, however the ending was a little disappointing. I would have loved to actually read about Katniss and Peeta ending up together in the end ..."

same here the ending was totally unsatisfying, i really felt like there was some thing missing there should have been something ...

Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* | 7 comments Rimsha wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Loved the series and the final instalment was no exception, however the ending was a little disappointing. I would have loved to actually read about Katniss and Peeta ending up togeth..."

agreed. the ending was like 'meh'.
altogether i wouldn't say that i LOVED the books but i didn't hate them either. the first one, in my thoughts, was the best of the series.
i just didnt really like the way it was written and didn't much care of the characters. if it was written in third person i would have liked it better because you wouldn't have known if Katniss was going to die or not. other than that i liked it. and will give Collins this, she does a GREAT job at suspence. :)

Cat *living for the One who breaths life into me* | 7 comments Svetlana wrote: "I liked the book,but that's about it...I was expecting strong Katniss,not the feel sorry for herself the entire book Katniss.Her mission to kill Snow felt pointless and complete waist of time since..."

agreed. i was expecting the last book to be better than it was. but . . . at least things worked out for Katniss and Peeta :)

message 25: by Tom (new)

Tom Krug (thomas_krug) | 3 comments It felt very rushed to me. Gale was just sort of brushed aside, which would have been acceptable if it wasn't done so unconvincingly. The death of Primrose wouldn't have been so bad if it'd been pulled off well, but as it was, I just didn't feel an emotional connection to that scene. The same goes for Katniss's bittersweet ending.

All in all, the book seemed rushed. I was disappointed. I remain a firm fan of book 1, however.

message 26: by Tori (last edited Sep 06, 2013 10:29PM) (new)

Tori | 1 comments I did like this book a lot, but I didn't love the ending. Although the love story is not the main point of the series, I was always team Gale and I hated how they made his charactar change so drastically from book to book, but specifically in Mockingjay.

Also, I thought the ending was pretty abrupt and rushed, not really talking about how Katniss and Peeta came back together, which again, I know is not point of the story but it would have gave the ending a little bit more clarity.

Other than that it was a fantasic read and I can't wait for the movie to come out :)

message 27: by Kimodo (new)

Kimodo Dragon | 1 comments I honestly think the 3rd book was amazing! I mean, definitely wouldn't top the 2 other books but I think apart from the rushed and abrupt ending, the book played out the story's ending perfectly.
The thing I love about it is that the character development is accurate. Like Katniss; how in this book she's just so weary and tired because of all that happened to her so she's on the verge of breaking down but she still has some strength in her or Gale and how he's just so desperate for revenge he doesn't thing things through.
Also the messages the author wants to get across through this book are just so true and apply for the present day. Think about it, how the government plays with peoples' minds just to obtain power and wind up abusing their position just like the old one. A true leader is one which cares about her people and in the book that message was clearly brought out.
So in my opinion this book had a very satisfying ending to the Hunger Games series. To be honest I was really sad when I finished the final book but I was also satisfied with how it ended :)