Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Mockingjay - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Aug 25, 2010 12:32PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

For those of you who are currently reading, or about to read this book. This thread will most likely contain spoilers!

Also, before posting **PLEASE** MAKE SURE TO UNCLICK THE "ADD TO MY UPDATE FEED" BOX AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN BEFORE POSTING. It is located on the lower right hand side directly below the comment box and above the "email me when people reply" box.

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (bookaddict27) | 12 comments I have heard a lot of people say that they really didn't like this book. Is it still worth a read or better to just leave it at the end of the second book?

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (racheleb76) | 60 comments I would definitely recommend reading it, if for no other reason than to have some closure. That ending of Catching Fire was a killer cliffhanger for me!

But I can see why some people wouldn't like this one as much. I thought the feel of this book was much different than the others, because of the focus on the rebellion. And personally I thought the character development and especially the ending was a lot more realistic, in a sobering way, than most YA books.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I just started reading today. Honestly, this book has me kinda excited and kinda scared, all at the same time!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Danielle wrote: "I have heard a lot of people say that they really didn't like this book. Is it still worth a read or better to just leave it at the end of the second book?"

I say it's worth the read, just to get a sense of closure. The book is darker than the first two, but it still has a partially happy ending (well about as happy as you can get when you know characters that you care about have died, but if you've read the first two books this shouldn't come as a surprise).

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (racheleb76) | 60 comments What did everyone think of the change in Gale in this book? I wasn't completely surprised - he had some vengeful tendencies throughout the series - but his role in the bomb developments was a bit surprising.

I thought the resolution to the love triangle was pretty realistic (as compared to Jacob becoming attached to Bella's daughter in the Twilight series, for example!) But I agree with Stacia; this definitely was darker than the other two in the series.

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri Russell | 3 comments I have to say I think she did a good job with the ending. I was surprised, but I think about how a rebellion really would affect people. And I think she might be right on target.

message 8: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 54 comments I thought this book was not only action packed but so emotionaly charged.
#6- I was never Team Gale so I wasn't all that surprised with his changes.

Yes it was dark but really it had to be for awhile I was thinking they were all going to die and the deaths that did occur were heart wrenching I cried when the parachute bombs went off and when Katniss had to set off the holo.

I liked this book so much and I think they deserved their happily ever after even though I would bet it took awhile to get there for Katniss & Peeta.

message 9: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments When I first read the ending, I wasn't very happy with it. I felt like the romance almost was decided for Katniss, rather than her making the decision between the two. But the more and more I've thought about it, the ending was a lot more realistic than it could have been. Also, I think that Katniss did really make the decision when she started to realize that she doesn't need Gale's fire and that personality. She has more than enough of that herself. She needs that calming influence of Peeta. This is going to be a book that I will probably have to re-read several times to really get everything out of it!

message 10: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 54 comments It sure is a series that stays with you long after your done reading it!
I feel she made her decision as soon as she accepted the fact that it was Gale's weapon and idea in the parachutes and Gale knew it too he knew it was over and so did Katniss.

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan (libraryhag) I loved this book and the ending. It had me crying and I usually don't do that. I think the focus on the war was good. I loved that there were no clear good guys. SPOILER Why did Katniss vote for the games. I think she did not want to piss off the new administration. She did not want to miss her chance at that shot. I think she knew the games would happen regardless of the vote and she needed to stop them the only way she could.

message 12: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I agree Jan but I wish that Collins had maybe let us into her head a bit for that decision! Let us know what exactly Katniss was thinking. Plus I'm not 100% sure that she had already planned to make the shot at that point. I think that it was running through her head, but I felt like that was mostly a last minute decision. And maybe Coin's proposal of the games is part of what threw Katniss over that edge. I mean, if she can propose it for this, who's to say that she wont put another games into place later on. Anyone that can do that to a group of kids once can easily do it again, in my opinion.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (racheleb76) | 60 comments I agree - I kept rereading that part to try and find some clue as to what Katniss was thinking when she voted for the games. And what Haymitch was thinking when he backed her up. Like Jan, I concluded she wanted to lull the administration into thinking she was in agreement with them so she could get her shot.

message 14: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) This is one of the most intense books I've read in years. THG & CF were intense, but this one left them in the dust. I was never Team Gale either, so was not surprised with the man that he actually became. And I believe also that Katniss voted for the games because she had already decided about Coin's fate and Haymitch knew it, too. How sad it was to me that the one true guiding light thru all 3 books had to be as abused & tortured as he was. Peeta was the real hero in my eyes. He understood what war does and what it ultimately means in the end....nothing.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mockingjay (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Suzanne Collins (other topics)