Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive (BOTM) > SEPTEMBER ~ Darkfever

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Sep 27, 2010 03:02PM) (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning
This is the place to gather to talk about the September group read Darkfever.

How are you finding it? What do you like (or not)so far? Is the heroine kick ass? Got a great Alpha male? (sample Q's to get you thinking! I've not read this so they may not all be relevant!)

If you've already read the book feel free to jump in too!!

Please be respectful of spoilers - do a warning if you are posting one!

message 2: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
I am really looking forward to reading Darkfever becasue I have heard so many good things about it! I have very high expectations though, hope it lives up to them!!

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) I read half of it before I had to take it about to the library and it was good. I'm going to buy it.

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thesa) This will be a perfect opportunity for a reread before the release of Shadowfever!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane | 82 comments Hi Everyone!
I just ordered my copy from Paperbackswap.com so I'm in! Karen Marie Moning is new author to me.

message 6: by Mariya (last edited Aug 30, 2010 12:42PM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) you'll love her!

message 7: by Andi (new)

Andi | 74 comments I haven't read anything by this author before, but I am loving Darkfever. I was hooked very early in the story and found myself talking infuriatedly (to 'mum's gone mad!' looks from my children) to the main character. I've just got to the point where things are starting to happen. I can't wait to see what happens now.

message 8: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thesa) Andrea, I envy you novelty!

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess | 62 comments So far so good! I'm impressed how this one grabs you right away, can't wait to see how this turns out.

message 10: by Andi (new)

Andi | 74 comments Finished Darkfever yesterday. I really liked it. I liked the two main characters and their odd relationship. I was on the edge of my seat all the time as the plot was exciting and unpredictable. If I had to find fault at all with this book, it would be that there are quite a few loose ends which are not tied up by the end, so you can't really read it on it's own, you have to read the next one (and possibly the whole series). Fortunately, I loved the book and fully intend to read the rest of the series!

message 11: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i knoe. this is one of these books that at each ending of every book you have to read the next one rite away, b/c there is always a cliffhanger.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 276 comments I wasn't a big fan of this one. The characters ruined it for me. They weren't very likeable. I'm not sure if I'll continue with the series.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) The main character grows from shallow in the first book to tough/capable in the following installments.

I believe that the author made the character so shallow to begin with to show how much she grows as she becomes more comfortable with her position as a sidhe seer.

The first book never got more than a 3 star rating from me, but books 2 and 3 were four stars, and the fourth book was a five star read for me. So I'd almost ask you to see if you like the series better after at least reading book 2.

Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess | 62 comments Just finished and I loved it. Yes, the main character was shallow and full of herself and all the pink really got on my nerves. I love pink, but really? However, as the story progressed, and even with the lack of the romance part of paranormal-romance, I felt this book had a really streamlined feel to it. Can't wait for the next one.

message 15: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i also wasnt liking the first one as much as the other books in the series, but you guys should continue wit book 2, if u dont like bloodfever then maybe the series isnt for you. for me it was bloodfever that got me really into the series.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 276 comments Perhaps I'll cave and read the second one then.

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thesa) It's definitely the series as a whole that makes it great. You have to read each book and read them in order to truly appreciate the story. I enjoyed it from the beginning, but each book is better than the previous. It's one of those books that has strong character development from book to book. You have to experience Mac's trials and tribulations to appreciate her. She has depths that uncover over the course of the series. Like KMM says, individually the books are urban fantasy, but the series as a whole is paranormal romance.

I hope you give it a shot. IMO, it is an excellent, well written series!

message 18: by Regina (last edited Sep 06, 2010 03:41PM) (new)

Regina (reginar) I loved the first one, but I can see where people might not like it as much, as really the first one is basically setting up the world. The second one is where something starts to happen. But I don't think Mac is shallow at all. She has left her world of comfort to go find her sister's murderer, that is not shallow or self interested. Also, she witnesses things -- even in book 1 -- that are happening to other people that tear her apart. I think these factors demonstrate depth of character not shallowness. She is a pretty girl who has always got a pat on her back bc of how she looks, but that is just part of her character. She slowly learns over the course of the books there is more to her than her looks and she evolves physically as well.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 276 comments Okay, okay! I'll give it another go. :)

message 20: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) yea. we have bloodfever for the october group read so hopefully you'll give it another go. i absolutely agree wit regina.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 276 comments I read Bloodfever today. It was better, I didn't have the irresistible urge to strangle Mac like I did with the first book. I gave it 3 stars. I do want to continue the series now but I understand the next two have major cliffhangers and I'm not willing to do that to myself until closer to the release date of the last book.

message 22: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) hahaha. faefever and dreamfever both have the worst possible spoilers ever. ill say if u read faefever u need to have dreamfever handy and same goes wit dreamfever cliffhanger except the last book isnt out yet, it will be a good thing to wait a bit so u wont have to suffer wit the cliffhanger. but when u continue let me knoe wht u think of the rest of the series.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 276 comments Will do, Mariya. :)

message 24: by Schelle (new)

Schelle | 46 comments I really enjoyed the whole storyline of this book. I can definitely see how mac's character is moving away from the 'princess' image which I personally find rather annoying.

I'm looking forward to the new book but if it's a big ole cliffhanger I may have to wait until the following book is release - I hate cliffhangers!!

message 25: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) The cliffhanger is painful but sort of this enjoyable pain like waiting for Christmas.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm not sure why cliffhangers bug people so much. They really don't bother me for some reason. Maybe it's because there are always other books to be read. If I didn't always have a huge pile of stuff ready to pick up, maybe I'd be bothered a bit more about having to sit and wait and think about it.

message 27: by Schelle (new)

Schelle | 46 comments Stacia wrote: "I'm not sure why cliffhangers bug people so much. They really don't bother me for some reason. Maybe it's because there are always other books to be read. If I didn't always have a huge pile of ..."

I find it depends on how much I love the story - if I want it to end one way and it ends another then I get really annoyed - in fact I'm one of those terrible people who will often skip to the end to check out what is going to happen so I'm not 'worried' about it during the story - sad but true...

message 28: by Andi (new)

Andi | 74 comments Schelle wrote: "I find it depends on how much I love the story - if I want it to end one way and it ends another then I get really annoyed - in fact I'm one of those terrible people who will often skip to the end to check out what is going to happen so I'm not 'worried' about it during the story..."

Lol! I am like that too. I always stop myself skipping to the end, but often skip a page or so ahead. I can be more relaxed reading a book (or watch a film) for the second time as I know how it ends!

message 29: by Schelle (new)

Schelle | 46 comments Andrea wrote: "Schelle wrote: "I find it depends on how much I love the story - if I want it to end one way and it ends another then I get really annoyed - in fact I'm one of those terrible people who will often ..."

so glad to hear I'm not the only one!!

message 30: by Diane (new)

Diane | 82 comments I just finished Darkfever and was very suprised how much I liked it. I have to tell you, I do not read Fae stories much. They just confuse me too much. I got this book to join this group, without knowing it was a fae story. When I started reading the book, I had to force myself to not put it down once I found out it was about. It was so worth it! I really liked it and can't wait to get the next one!

message 31: by is mee... kissa (last edited Sep 11, 2010 04:46AM) (new)

is mee... kissa | 38 comments i love Darkfever!! Karen Marie Moning is a genius!!
i had read the series before this month but read it again anyways... the final one if coming out early next year.. can't wait!!!

yeah... Moning does have this thing with cliffhangers at the end of these books... Dreamfever is the worst! it's killing me not to know what's happening!!!

message 32: by Shelia (new)

Shelia (sheliad841) | 186 comments I couldn't get into this series. Don't know why as I love Karen Marie Moning. Maybe will try again later.

message 33: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) people usually dont get into it wit book 1, book 2 is the one that gets them to keep going, try again later.

message 34: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 11, 2010 12:10PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Book 1 is the weakest by far of the series. I almost quit out on book 1, but am so glad that I kept going. The payoff is well worth it.

*looks around at those that don't like the Shifters series.* Faythe is so similar to Mac in book 1. Same situation. The series gets stronger with each book, much like Fever. If you got frustrated with Faythe in book 1, compare the series to Fever and give it a shot. You'll be rewarded.

message 35: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) you knoe wht the say about book 1 in a series. it has the book syndrome fever. book 1 is usually the weakest...and that wit a lot of series of me where i was like book 1 wasnt good and onto book 2 then OMFG. i love this series. so give bloodfever a chance you guys.

haha. i havent gotten past book 1 yet for the shifters series, gotta get back on the series sooon.

message 36: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Mariya wrote: "people usually dont get into it wit book 1, book 2 is the one that gets them to keep going, try again later."

I would say some people don't get into it. I know I was hooked before the end of #1 and I have several close friends who were too. But definitely there are people who aren't into book 1. I do think Moning may have made a mistake -- not much happens in book 1, there is no great resolution or anything (there is in book 2, 3, and 4), so I can see why some people are not hooked. But I agree, the firsts in series tend to be the weakest and if you like Moning, it is worth sticking through.

message 37: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) haha. when i read book 1 i was like okaiexz...it was pretty good, but i wanted to continue to see what the hell barrons was..haha and the ending wit barrons and mac made me want to continue wit book 2, then i was hooked.

message 38: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 11, 2010 12:21PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I think a lot of series fall into too much world building in book 1.

Magic Bites was like that for me. The book was painful for me to get through. Through much prodding and threats of strangulation from friends, I will be continuing on with the series because everyone promises that it will get better.

Shifters, Fever and Wilson's Tairen Soul (fantasy/PNR hybrid) are some of my all time favorite series, but each one of those has a weaker first book.

message 39: by Mariya (last edited Sep 11, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) haha. READ KATE DANIELS SERIES!!! hahaha. im on book 3 magic strikes and i gotta tell you it gets nothing but better, i cant put the book down, except for the fact i gotta finish up on my homework and i got work tonite. damn it. haha.

but i didnt feel like the first fever book was completely weaker then the rest. i gave it a 4 star rating and the rrest a 5 star rating. i kept going b/c i loved the characters mac and barrons.

message 40: by Andi (new)

Andi | 74 comments I haven't read the rest of the series, but loved Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning . If this is really the weakest and the series gets better, I can't wait to read Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning for the October group read!

message 41: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I am with you Andrea! I loved the first one. :)

message 42: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) i loved how mac and barrons first encounter in darkfever.

message 43: by is mee... kissa (new)

is mee... kissa | 38 comments i just love how they act around each other

message 44: by Andi (new)

Andi | 74 comments Yes, that's something I really liked about this book. It is a very unusual relationship between the two of them and it keeps you wondering what's going on with them. I can't wait to see how that develops and just hope I don't read any spoilers before I do.

message 45: by is mee... kissa (new)

is mee... kissa | 38 comments haha... i love it... but try to read slow or something because although you've got the fourth book ready to read after the cliffhanger in book 3, the cliffhanger for Dreamfever (4th book) is sooo... something.. and the last one comes out next january... read at your own risk... ah! i can't believe she gave us that cliffhanger!

message 46: by Andi (new)

Andi | 74 comments Got plenty to be reading before I get to read the rest of the series, so will be just about ready when the 5th book comes out :)

message 47: by Bianca (new)

Bianca | 117 comments Stacia wrote: "I think a lot of series fall into too much world building in book 1.

Magic Bites was like that for me. The book was painful for me to get through. Through much prodding and threats of strangul..."

I had the exact same thing with Magic Bites, I was wondering what all the fuss was about but decided to try the second one anyway and now Im hooked!

message 48: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) yea. if ur not hooked wit book 1 usually book 2 or 3 pulls you in.

message 49: by Kim (new)

Kim | 14 comments I love the fever series! I was a bit skeptical at first, but was wrapped into "Mac's" world instantly. Although, I have to agree with you guys. The cliffhanger for book 3 is torturous!!! Thank God she pused up the release for Shadowfever to 12/10. Can't wait! Those of you that are currently reading the series enjoy.

message 50: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Sorry to tell you shadowfever is out 1/18/11 not December 2010

« previous 1

Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Darkfever (other topics)
Bloodfever (other topics)