The History Book Club discussion

FAVORITES! AND NOT SO FAVORITES > BOOKSTORES WE LOVE AND WHY

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 05, 2014 08:04PM) (new)

Bentley | 44167 comments Mod
Everybody has a favorite book store. This is a thread where we can discuss our favorite bookstores, why they give or gave us that special feeling, what we liked and what we did not like about them (if anything). And why we wish other bookstores were more like them.

Do you think great and intimate bookstores are becoming the thing of the past with the big conglomerates elbowing their way in and squeezing out the little bookstores like what happened to Meg Ryan's store in the movie You Got Mail. The Shop Around the Corner which was a staple in the neighborhood was finally closed because of the likes of Fox Books. With conglomerates, the economy and the internet; the likes of these wonderful intimate bookstores may become a thing of the past. Of course, we hope not. But then again so many of us for convenience shop on line.

I thought this thread would celebrate these favorite bookstores and if they have a website, you can place that as well on line. But before you do that you have to tell us the following:

Name your favorite bookstore
Tell us why you love it
Where it is located (address would be good)
Strengths and Weaknesses (if there are any)
Why you feel cozy there and in your element
And of course if they have a website and/or you can add an image of the bookstore itself that would be great.

Hooray for those wonderful bookstores. And even more fun for this thread is the idea that we will hear about book stores from around the world and from every country where we have members. Please if you can add an image of your fave bookstore too; that would be terrific. Please feel free to also post an entry for more than one if you have a few favorites in different places. We really would like to hear about book stores from every country in the world and every state.

Bentley

Note: This is not a thread for self promotion; but a tribute to those bookstores we love.

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

OK I will start.

I love the Concord Book Store in Concord, Massachusetts. Of course, I am rarely in Massachusetts any more; but if I am in Concord or even in Massachusetts, I love to go there.

Here is their history on their site. They have been in business since 1940.

The history of the Concord Book Store:

In late August of 1940 a small notice at the bottom of the front page of The Concord Journal announced that a Bookshop and Lending Library would open on the 27th under the proprietorship of Mrs. Raymond Baldwin and Mrs. Edward H. Warren.

The idea for the Concord Bookshop had taken shape in the spring of 1940. Fidie Warren persuaded Joan Baldwin to join her in starting a bookshop in the other half of Miss Mary Curtis's new shop in what had been the Ford Motor Company showroom at 27 Walden St., just across from the Post Office. Ray Baldwin suggested that before they committed themselves, they should consult with Henry A. Laughlin, the recently appointed president of Houghton Mifflin Company, and a resident of Concord, who might be able to advise them.

They called him at home and outlined for him their ideas for starting a bookshop.

He listened sympathetically and agreed that running a bookshop in a town like Concord, where the reading and writing of books was highly regarded and seriously pursued, would be interesting and enjoyable. However, speaking practically, he discouraged them from going ahead with their plan. Concord was still feeling the effects of the Depression, he reasoned. Furthermore, the war in Europe might spread to involve the United States with unknown consequences for a small business. Finally, as far as he knew, neither Mrs. Warren nor Mrs. Baldwin had any business experience. For these reasons, he urged them to forget the whole idea.

They thanked him for his advice and went home to think it over.

Over 60 years and many moves later, the Concord Bookshop still serves a community in which the reading and writing of books is highly regarded and seriously pursued. We are still an independent, full-service, general bookshop offering a diverse and distinctive selection of books for all ages.

Here is the Concord Bookstore's location:

The Concord Bookshop
65 Main St
Concord, MA 01742

This bookstore was discussed in the following book:

Unfortunately it is not in goodreads (either the title or the author)

Hilary Ledlie Loring is the author and her book was titled
Tales of a Village Bookshop: The First Fifty Years.

I think what I liked about it was the quality of the staff itself. Their staff always included former school librarians, editors, educators and writers, all of them enthusiastic readers who could and would take the time to track down just about any book in print. When you go into a B&N, that kind of service or know how is just not found. In fact, if their single distributor does not have it; you are out of luck and there is no more pursuing of the title you would like.

I like the town too and the storefront mirrors the tight zoning laws which keeps Concord as beautiful as it is as a community. Inside the layout of the store shows real love for the store itself and consideration for the people who visit the store. They have historically had a wonderful little children's room in the back which has been enjoyed by many growing up. The bookstore and the town itself has a love for the past; for its rich history and its surroundings. If you visit this bookstore you are just streets away from the homes of the Alcotts, the Emersons, and the Thoreaus and Hawthornes. You are about a mile from Walden Pond and Thoreau's cabin and of course you are less than a mile from the historic Old North Bridge, where the minutemen fired the "shot heard 'round the world'. So if you love history; then this environment is the place.

Here is an image and its website

http://www.concordbookshop.com/

message 3: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) For those folks who may be visiting New South Wales in Australia or who are residents here may like to drop by this lovely second-hand book shop set in a relaxing rural setting with a nice cafe next door with views, with a nice log fire and comfy lounges to relax in while checking out a few books. Here is a link to give you an idea:

Berkelou's at Berrima

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 25, 2010 04:45PM) (new)

It looks like a fabulous place. I bet you have spent more than a few wonderful hours there.

Thank you for your add and I hope we get adds from all over the world. When you get to Sydney on holiday, you will have to tell us about your favorites there.

message 5: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Hi Bentley, it’s a lovely place to visit, I have spent many hours at Berkelou's and a fair bit of my money! :)
I'm not too sure if you guys have something similar in the US but in some locations in Australia they have book maps which show all the book shops in one location so you can drive or walk from one book shop to another.

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

No we do not have that in the United States. Maybe they view that as competition. But what a fabulous idea: book maps.

Barnes and Noble for instance would probably only tell us of Barnes and Noble locations. Such a generous country you must have and book store owners.

Yes Berkelou's looks like my kind of spot.

message 7: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) It’s a great idea and it works for all (customers and shop owners). I couldn't remember what it was called before but I just found it and its called "Book Trail". You can pick up a map at any participating book shop but here is a link to give you an idea:

Australian Booktrail

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 25, 2010 05:23PM) (new)

That is such a fabulous idea and great for the customer and book lover too. It has to benefit each book store in the long run. It is just that in the US (the huge conglomerates) are dwarfing some of the other book stores. The Concord Book Store for example is fine because of where it is and there are no franchises allowed in the downtown so it is terrific for that kind of town, the kind of environment and the people who live and travel there. But I can see in other areas they are getting pushed out if the conglomerates are allowed to come in. Some of these book stores have so much character and charm and make you fall in love with reading all over again.

message 9: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) I live in Seattle, WA in the US, a city known for having the highest number of bookstores per capita of any city in the US. We have everything here, chains and independants plus the company that arguably invented online book sales, Amazon.com. There are a plethora of choices in my fine city and I frequent many of them. All worthy choices. But I have to admit my favorite bookstore is not in Seattle, but some 200 miles away in the lovely city of Portland, OR. It's a booklovers paradise: Powell's.

It's a huge, quirky, cozy store. Used and new side by side, rare to mass market, a plethora of sections and topics neatly organized, creaky well-worn hardwood floors, and knowledgeable, passionate, quirky, helpful sales people to help when you need it and stay out of your way if you don't. Places to sit, little cubbies to stand, isles big enough to browse, you can get lost in the place but oddly feel instantly at home the minute you walk in the door. For those who have been there and who love books it has something of a cult following. Funky, hip, beloved, unpretentious, something for everyone, much like Portland itself.

The do sell online but I've never tried that because I am close enough and in Portland often enough where I can drive. I've heard their online service is quite good. You'll have to check that out for yourself.

A little bit about Powell's from their website:

Powell's City of Books is a book lover's paradise, the largest used and new bookstore in the world. Located in downtown Portland, Oregon, and occupying an entire city block, the City stocks more than a million new and used books. Nine color coded rooms house over 3,500 different sections, offering something for every interest, including an incredible selection of out-of-print and hard-to-find titles.

Each month, the Basil Hallward Gallery (located upstairs in the Pearl Room) hosts a new art exhibit, as well as dozens of author events featuring acclaimed writers, artists, and thinkers such as Roddy Doyle, Joyce Carol Oates, Michael Chabon, Annie Leibovitz, and President Jimmy Carter.

The City's Rare Book Room gathers autographed first editions and other collectible volumes for readers in search of a one-of-a-kind treasure.

Every day at our buyers' counter in the Orange Room we purchase thousands of used books from the public. Powell's purchases special collections, libraries, and bookstore inventories as well.

A few facts about the City of Books:

• 68,000 square feet packed with books.
• We buy 3,000 used books over the counter every day.
• Approximately 3,000 people walk in and buy something every day.
• Another 3,000 people just browse and drink coffee.
• Our parking garage provides space for 40 cars (ok, so there are bigger parking garages).
• We stock 122 major subject areas and more than 3,500 subsections.
• You'll find more than 1,000,000 volumes on our shelves.
• Approximately 80,000 book lovers browse the City's shelves every day in Portland and via the Internet.

So is our mother ship the world's largest bookstore? Heck, it may be bigger than your whole town.

The Washington Post called Powell's "perhaps the best bookstore in the world." If you're in the local area, we offer walking tours of the City to individuals and groups. You can also browse our store map online in .PDF format.

Their website is here: http://www.powells.com/

Their location is here:
Powell's City of Books
1005 W Burnside
Portland, OR 97209

message 10: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) This sounds like an excellent bookshop Alisa, no wonder you don't bother shopping online and prefer to drive into Portland to browse the store at your leisure!

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Alisa wrote: "I live in Seattle, WA in the US, a city known for having the highest number of bookstores per capita of any city in the US. We have everything here, chains and independants plus the company that a..."

What a great tribute to Powell's. You really have captured the essence of this bookstore. Having been in Powell's and none in our party left empty-handed, I can say without a doubt that it is a spot not to be missed when in Portland.

message 12: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) And then there is Voodoo donut down the street where you can get a bacon maple bar, but I digress. Why do I have the feeling Aussie Rick is looking up airfare as we speak? :) Glad you are fond of the pace too, Bentley. Its a fun spot.

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

It is a fun place and the folks who work there add to it. They are also very helpful. Some have red streaks with blue in their hair; I figured at the time it was an American motif - red white and blue. But they are hip and with it and made me feel quite staid and maybe geeky. But you could lose days in the place just wandering around.

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 05, 2014 08:06PM) (new)

Here is a good image of the outside of Powells:

As Alisa stated; a very worthwhile visit.

The place is huge.

message 15: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Oooh, that does look nice!
Maybe I should see if I can talk my wife into a trip to the United States :)

message 16: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Not a bad idea. But she may not see you for days.

message 17: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Bentley I think that pic is the new part. The other side of the block is the original part with the red and white marquee. There is a pic on their website. Still, hard to miss it.

message 18: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Yes, very true. But this gives a better feel at how large it is.

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 25, 2010 11:14PM) (new)

One I like better than a lot of the others when I am traveling in Asia and specifically Singapore is Kinokuniya. Of course the corporate offices are in Japan.

There are three locations in Singapore and the one I like best is the main one located at:

Singapore Main Store
391 Orchard Road
#03-09/10/15 Ngee Ann City
Takashimaya Shopping Centre

Here is a photo of it which will explain a lot:

It is quite large for an Asian bookstore; has a great selection of books in English as you would expect in Singapore. However, it is crowded and has few places to sit. It has a great selection of business management books, etc. Great travel selection and pretty remarkable how efficiently the store is designed to maximize space. However, the cushy places to sprawl out are non existent.

Still a worthwhile spot for browsing.

Here is its website which also shows a bit of what I mean:

http://www.kinokuniya.com.sg/

message 20: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) You'll be happy to learn Bentley that there is a Kinokuniya book shop in Sydney which I'll be visiting this weekend. They have a pretty good history section and lots of seats and lounges scattered about so you can sit down and check out the books plus I think there is a cafe situated next door so you can keep your enegy levels up.

message 21: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Wow...seats and lounges..what a concept. (Smile) There is a cafe situated to the side of the one in Singapore but you cannot lounge around in there until you have purchased your books and it is quite small. Sounds like they tried to match expectations of the customers in Australia. Maybe space is less expensive in Sydney but I have no way of knowing that for sure. You will have to send us some photos.

message 22: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) I will see if I can get some photo's for you but knowing the Japanese they may think I'm a industrial spy (only joking no offence intended).

message 23: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Well that would be interesting since most of them take photos all of the time. If there is a group of ten folks in a delegation from Japan, every one of them has a camera (ten cameras).

From what you say the layout and atmosphere is different.

message 24: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) It is a bit different, obviously they have a heap more space in Sydney and they have maximized the best use of the layout with chairs and lounges places in areas out of the way.

message 25: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

It sounds like their Singapore design could have used that concept too but maybe with the crowds; they simply wanted to be efficient and move folks out quickly.

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 75 comments I'm so glad that Powell's already can up! I love Powell's! I would call it a destination bookstore: well worth the hotel, and travel time.

I recently lived in Pullman, WA which is devoid of anything like a good bookstore. There was a reasonable used bookstore, but the books were overpriced. There was a Barnes and Noble which was the bookstore for the university, and had a branch in my neighborhood. But it had more shelves than books.

Now I live in Seattle! I'm surrounded by great bookstores.

My very favorite is University Bookstore. I love it because it is big and has a really great history selection and an even better Sci-Fi section.

If you are a university student at UW, or an alumni of UW you get a 10% rebate. When I was a student, one quarter that was enough to go on vacation. Once, my mom used hers to get a new glasses prescription filled. This is especially cool since the textbooks were at that time included in the rebate. I think that since I graduated the textbook raquet has made that impossible to continue.

University Bookstore is located on The Ave at 4326 University Way NE. http://www.bookstore.washington.edu/d...?

It has a pretty upscale coffee shop, too. Pricey, but the ingredients are top of the line so the prices are almost worth it!

My second favorite is Eliot Bay Books. Mostly because it is beautiful. I haven't ever bought anything there. It used to be downtown, but it looks like it has moved. http://www.elliottbaybook.com/

In my neighborhood, and just a few dangerous blocks from my house is a great used bookstore: The Couth Buzzard http://buonobuzzard.com/main.htm It's got a great selection and an awesome name!

message 27: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Shannon, couldn't agree more re University Bookstore, it is favorite of mine too. The staff are really helpful and I love the little notes they write reviewing their picks. Great spot. I sometimes frequent the one in Bellevue but it doesn't have the same ambiance.

Elliot Bay moved to Capital Hill. I haven't seen it yet, I favored the Pioneer square location. Great suggestions! We do live in a great city for books!!

message 28: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 05, 2014 08:12PM) (new)

You guys should get together for coffee at one of these bookstores since you live so close.

I wanted to look up these fabulous bookstores and try to get some images and addresses for folks who might be visiting that area.

Is this a photo of the University Bookstore at 4326 University Way NE?

message 29: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 05, 2014 08:15PM) (new)

This I am pretty sure is Elllot Bay Book:

This seems to be their history:

The Elliott Bay Book Company, an independent, family-owned bookstore, was founded in 1973 by Walter Carr in the space at 109 Main Street in Pioneer Square. In 1976, with the generous support of the Globe Building's owners and numerous friends of the store, we moved the store to corner of the building and took residence at 101 South Main Street. That original space was comprised of two rooms. In subsequent years we grew, room by room, to occupy five rooms with various nooks and crannies. One of those expansions took us downstairs, and the Elliott Bay Café, Seattle's original bookstore cafe, was opened in 1979. This reader's haven, with its tasty foods, tempting desserts and beverages, and convivial setting, has and continues to serve as one of the city's meeting places from the day it opened.

In April 2010, we relocated the bookstore to its current new home at 1521 Tenth Avenue on Capitol Hill. In May 2010, a second Elliott Bay Café, will open inside our new store.

We strive to offer both breadth and depth in the books we carry in numerous sections throughout the store. If there are titles we do not have, we will gladly try to special order them for you.

Part of the daily life of Elliott Bay for over a decade, our author reading series has now provided over 3,000 afternoons and evenings of poetry, fiction, and a wide range of nonfiction topics. Some of the world's preeminent writers have read here (in Japanese, Spanish, Arabic, French, and Estonian, among other languages). Here many of the country's most renowned writers are continually and centrally featured. As with many of the books we highlight, there are many authors who have read here as relatively unknown, and who have gone on to wider acclaim. Readers and audiences here have long been among the first to help move these writers and their work out into the larger world.

We publish a monthly list of our readings, as well as many literary events in the area. This flyer, with information on the month's authors and books, dates, times, and admission information, is always available at the store or on our web site, or can be obtained by subscription.

We are also pleased to present our full-scale book review, written by our staff, on a bi-monthly basis throughout the year. Elliott Bay Booknotes includes brief reviews, in-depth features, and all sorts of tips for finding good reading. This publication is freely available on our web site.

An independent bookstore in the best sense of the term (meaning we're truly interdependent with our community and with you, our customers), we pride ourselves on being a knowledgeable staff of booksellers who do our best to locate just the books you are seeking. We also offer special order services, book group presentations, a fine selection of books on tape, signed first editions, magazines and journals, handbound books, limited editions, and more.

More than anything, we are sustained by the support, curiosity, and enthusiasm for reading that you, our readers, constantly demonstrate to us. For that we are more than grateful.

Please join us soon—whether it's a quick dash in for a particular book you already have in mind, or several pleasurable, mind-meandering hours of browsing.

And I guess their address is:

1521 Tenth Avenue
Seattle WA 98122

message 30: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Apr 05, 2014 08:15PM) (new)

Shannon, you also mentioned the Couth Buzzard. I guess the address in Seattle for that bookstore is:

2010 Couth Buzzard Books . Espresso Buono™
8310 Greenwood Ave N. Seattle, WA . 206.436.2960

I think this must be an image of the place:

Sounds like you have some wonderful bookstores in Seattle.

message 31: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 75 comments Yes. Those are all the images. I don't know how to post images. I think that for Eliot Bay Books you have one picture of the new exterior and one pic of the really classic old interior. You can see why a history major would like the old interior.

message 32: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Yes, I can.

message 33: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) I've never been to Couth Buzzard, will have to check that out! Those are the right exterior pics for the other two. The interior shot at Elliot Bay bears a stricking resemblance to the old location but they must have an internal stairwell in the new space so maybe that is it. What is so darn likable about those well-worn creaky hardwood floors in a bookstore? (Elliot Bay, at least.)

message 34: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I think it is the authenticity of real wood, real things in a world that has gotten so plastic.

message 35: by John (new)

John E | 105 comments I, too, am in the Seattle area and relish living here. I'm disappointed that when Elliot Bay moved from Pioneer Square they dropped selling used books.
Powell's is, of course, the GOLD STANDARD of book stores. Powell's shelves all its books, new and used, side by side and makes it a joy to shop there. Our trips to Portland are only to go to Powell's and especially to find the most recent books on Elvis (for the wife).

message 36: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Elliot Bay no longer sells used? Hmmmm. I have not been to the new location yet, will have to check it out. Powells RULES, I agree with you John. And I too have always considered living in Seattle a treat. We're lucky.

message 37: by Janet (new)

Janet I can't vouch for the Morris Book Shop's quality, but the story of why it exists is unique: http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/10...

Morris Book Shop
408 Southland Drive
Lexington, Kentucky 40503
http://www.morrisbookshop.com/

message 38: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Powell's has been doing a little updating and they are about to re-open their technical book store across from the downtown city of books location. From today's Portland Business Journal ~

Powell's to open relocated technical store
Portland Business Journal - by Andy Giegerich Business Journal staff writer
Powell’s Books is nearly ready to open its technical outlet across the street from its mammoth City of Books store.
The store is set to open at what the company calls Powell’s Books Building 2. The building, at 40 N.W. 10th Ave on the corner of 10th and Couch Street, is about two blocks away from the technical store’s previous North Park Blocks location.
The relocated store will open Friday, Oct. 1. It specializes in selling hard-to-find math, science, computing, engineering, construction and transportation books, and offers an expanded science section.
Powell’s officials noted that workers at the technical store helped launch Powells.com — one of the country’s first retail Web sites — in 1994.
“Our goal was to bring (the technical book store) closer to the millions of visitors at the City of Books and to connect that inventory to our main store location,” said Emily Powell, the store’s president, in a statement.
Powell’s collected around $45 million in revenue last year.

message 39: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 329 comments Name your favorite bookstore- Chapters Canada
Tell us why you love it- this is going to take awhile. Ok so one of the main reasons I am loving Chapters is because at all there bookstores in my city when you search for a book the computer is touchscreen and you can print out a description of details like it's ratings,title,author,publication date and a brief description of the book. Also the store is put into sections. I am forever in the teen read section always finding books that i probably would never have known about if i didn't see it there. next they have a tiny Starbucks with in the main chapters at our biggest mall(trying to give away where i live for obvious reasons but lets just i live in Canada).

Where it is located (address would be good)-ontario

Strengths and Weaknesses (if there are any)-touchscreen computers,chairs to sit on and even beanbag chairs in the teen section oh and a fireplace as well.

Why you feel cozy there and in your element
reasons stated above with the beanbag chairs.

And of course if they have a website and/or you can
add an image of the bookstore itself that would be great.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/?s...

< img src=http://home.flash.net/~ral1/starbucks..." width=40 height=100>

ok sorry but i really don't understand html it's confusing and i just don't know how to get the image to show in the post.

message 40: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I think I have it - am I close

message 41: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 329 comments the 2nd one because the store next to it would be my favourite shoe store.Globo.

message 42: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Ok glad it worked out.

message 43: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) Books, shoes, coffee - that is my idea of a shoppers Bermuda triangle. Fun!

message 44: by Tom (new)

Tom My favorite is 'New Enagland Mobile Book Fair'
it's a 30000 sqft wharehouse dedicated to books. all books are 20% off unless it is a best seller then it is 30%. I get lost in there for hours just looking at books.

http://nebookfair.com/

pictures :
[image error]
[image error]
[image error]
[image error]
[image error]
[image error]
[image error]

message 45: by Alisa (new)

Alisa (mstaz) wow, that looks like quite the place! the pictures remind me of Powell's in Portland, OR. easy to see how you could spend a lot of time there. do they sell only new or is it new and used?

message 46: by Tom (new)

Tom Its all new books, a large section of the store is markdowns. The last two pictures are in the markdown section.

message 47: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Geez, that looks like my type of book shop :)

message 48: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Tom that looks terrific.And Alisa you are right; that looks like Powells.

message 49: by vard (new)

vard | 2 comments Yes, it does look like Powell's! (I live in Portland and I enjoy visiting not just the main Powell's but its several outposts.)

On a business trip to Shanghai a few years ago I discovered a wonderful little English language bookstore called "Chaterhouse Books" (not a typo) tucked away in the same complex as my hotel, the Ritz Carlton. The Ritz Carlton address is 1376 Nanjing Xi Lu so that's where the store is.

It is not very big but the selection is quirky and interesting. I ended up buying about twelve or fifteen pounds (weight not currency) of books to add to my suitcase when I packed to come home! Good selection of travel books, quirky nonfiction. I can't really describe it except to say that whoever selects the books has a fabulous eclectic taste. I'm sure they had the big bestsellers up front but the store wasn't dominated by them. Just a nice little spot. Here's their website:
http://www.chaterhouse.com.cn/en/main...

message 50: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Tom, you are a lucky man, double wow.

« previous 1 3