Twilight Saga Obsessed discussion

Books for 'Twilight' fans to check out while 'Breaking Dawn' is in the works

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry Dexter (tdexter) | 5 comments Mod
The following suggestions are from Amanda Bell with the Twilight Examiner:

Let’s face it. There isn’t as much going on in the Twilight world as there has been for the past few years. Right now, Breaking Dawn is somewhere in pre-production land, and it’ll be a while until we really start to see any news related to that.

So, I’ve been on the hunt (bad pun) for new material that Twilight fans might like, and I have two recommendations so far. It should be mentioned at the outset that I haven’t been looking for vampire stories, necessarily, because I’m of the opinion that most of us didn’t like the Twilight series simply because it had vampires in it.

First of all, I read Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Heidi and Lauren from Twilight Facebook have been absolute champions of this story, so I picked it up and was not disappointed. Set in the south and told from the perspective of a high school boy named Ethan, the book is one which couples that youthful angst with otherworldly circumstances. It’s a story of young, rather innocent first love that faces extreme and mythical circumstances, and it is definitely a page-turner. One of the attractive qualities that stands out with Beautiful Creatures is the first-person narrative style. The authors have done a nice job of bringing forth a thoughtful, refreshing protagonist that has honest intentions and interesting perspectives on his small world. The characters are very compelling, and the plot is nicely composed. It’s definitely a fun, light read, and a sequel to the story, Beautiful Darkness, is expected in October.

Secondly, I’ve been positively devoured by The Hunger Games series (by Suzanne Collins) for the past few days. Kimmy and Nicky from HisGoldenEyes.com also run a fansite for this series called Mockingjay.net. As Nicky suggested, the series (the third of which just came out yesterday, by the way) is incredibly intoxicating and inviting. I found it particularly appropriate for Twilight fans because it is told by a teenage girl who has to overcome a very severe set of circumstances and dangers. It’s difficult to explain the plot of the story in the Hunger Games trilogy without scaring potential readers off, but suffice it to say that it is delicious. In some ways, the main character, Katniss, reminds me of the strong, fierce Bella we almost got to know in Breaking Dawn. I really, truly think this is a great series for fans of the Twilight Saga, and I encourage you to pick it up.

A couple of other suggestions that have come across the table so far have been The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare and the Shiver series by Maggie Stiefvater. I’m going to be checking those out to pass along thoughts to fellow Twilight fans, of course, but I’d love to hear your suggestions as well. Please feel free to post your recommendations.

message 2: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Great ideas, i'll try reading the first one bcoz I've read the hunger games, n it's fantastic! I'd reccomend 'darkest powers' bcoz it's a really good series wid all the supernaturals in it. Also, Artemis Fowl is a great series for those who are more for the 'clever' type. hope this is useful :)

message 3: by Terry (new)

Terry Dexter (tdexter) | 5 comments Mod
Thanks. I will look into those books also. I was told about the Vampire Kisses Books, but I am not sure if they are maybe too young. Have you heard of those?

message 4: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) Nope. i heard abt em too. doesn't appeal to me lol. I'm kinda into Kelley armstrong's books for now...