Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > Collins, Suzanne - Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) September 2010 BOM

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 27, 2010 05:13AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This is to start off our discussion of Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins. Let us know what your thoughts are of the book, what your favorite part was, etc. There will be spoilers.
Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 25, 2010 10:03AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I read the book and loved it. Here is one of my favorite conversations between Gale and Katniss:

Gale finally says, "You're still angry."

"And you're still not sorry," I reply.

"I still stand by what I said, Do you want me to lie about it?" he asks.

"No, I want you to rethink it and come up with the right opinion, " I tell him.

Here is another one I loved. Leaving the first and last sentences off so anyone who sneaks a peek doesn't have the ending spoiled.

"What I needed is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again."

message 3: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 25, 2010 05:47PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments So not the ending I would have predicted. I really started to like Gale at the beginning of the book. There were bits and pieces here and there, however, that kind of gave his character away. The way he instantly disliked Katniss' prep team was strange. The way he kept things from Katniss. The way he had no qualms about killing lives, even those not part of the capitol was a little upsetting. He had a lot of hate in him and couldn't let it go. He and President Coin were two peas in a pod. Katniss couldn't have thrived with that kind of person.

Peeta's brainwashing was a twist I didn't see coming, but was a nice added dimension to the suspense.

When Katniss runs into Prim I'm as confused as she is. I actually had to read that part twice to figure out what she was doing there. Sending rescuers to their death so the new President would look good was horrifying.

At first I thought Katniss' silence at the end was due to perhaps some sort of drugging by President Coin. I thought since she tried to have Katniss assassinated by Peeta, maybe she decided to keep Katniss silent by some other means. Interesting how Paylor, the commander from 8, is the one who let's Katniss talk to former President Snow and later takes President Coin's place.

Do you think Paylor let Katniss in to see Snow on purpose? Do you think Katniss' Mockingjay status saved her or do you think those higher up realized that Coin was like Snow and let her go under the guise of being sick? I keep wondering about it.

message 4: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) I really couldn't have predicted that ending. It was shocking.

I was all for the Gale/Katniss relationship and I actually started enjoying Gale as a character, some moments made me hate him though.

Peeta's brainwashing was a wonderful twist! It really gave the book more to work with, I don't think it would have been as good if it wasn't in it.

I cried over the scene with Prim. It was a big twist but at the same time it was so devastating I just tears the whole time. It was more than horrifying to use the rescuers like that.

I think Paylor let Katniss in to see Snow on purpose, so Katniss would make the right choice.
I'm not sure what I think about the Mockingjay status. Somehow I think it saved her but not completely.

The only problem I had with this book was the amount of deaths. I wish Cinna, Prim, Boggs and Finnick survived. Especially Finnick.

I found Peeta's recovery and the whole 'real or not real' game really good.

Also Haymitch. I love that guy. He is so annoying and such a drunk but he has some of the best lines in the book.

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Elise,
I agree too many deaths occurred. I think Finnick's death was worse than Prim's because you know what he went through and that Annie will now be alone. That is devastating. I'm guessing he sacrificed himself for her because he never wanted her in that vulnerable position that the Capitol put them all in, especially the Hunger Games victors. What is worse is knowing there was no reason for the death of all those who went on that last mission. I think Coin just wanted to get rid of any potential troublemakers. Finnick wouldn't have voted for another Hunger Games. Boggs was actually questioning things, etc. I wonder if false information was programmed into the little device that told them where potential threats were.

I did like the real or unreal game. Peeta's inner struggle with reality was heart wrenching. Later, I loved when he went and found Primroses to plant in memory of Prim. He was and is my favorite for Katniss.

I didn't like that Gale did not visit Katniss in the hospital. Even if she would pick Peeta he was her best friend. If he was dealing with the guilt of having a possible hand in the construction of the end bombs or in not protecting Prim he should have risen above it to see her. That was perhaps where he lost the biggest points in my book.

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments The other thing I forgot to mention was the fact Peeta saved Katniss from committing suicide after she killed Coin. His putting of his hand over the pill was touching. That's was a turning point for him. That's when he knew he would never hurt Katniss. While in the capitol before Katniss was injured he was still afraid he'd hurt her.

message 7: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) Yeah! Finnick's death got to me the most because all I could think about was Annie.
I was thinking about that after! Perhaps the Holo was programmed to tell them there was no threat when there was. Because Boggs had the Holo when he got his legs blown off.

Oh the Primroses had me in tears! Peeta is always my favourite for Katniss. Always was, always will be.

Yeah I think Gale lost points for that for me as well. He was also making Katniss feel bad, well it felt like he was. Kinda like making her feel guilty for caring about Peeta.

message 8: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) Lisarenee wrote: "The other thing I forgot to mention was the fact Peeta saved Katniss from committing suicide after she killed Coin. His putting of his hand over the pill was touching. That's was a turning point fo..."

Yes! That was a perfect Peeta thing to do :)

message 9: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments It brought back Katniss' words to Peeta just days earlier which I believe were don't leave me.

Remember how she kissed him right before those words? I remembered what Gale said when she kissed him. Something like - I knew you would kiss me. You only kiss me when I'm hurting.

I think that kiss with Peeta may have been the moment when Katniss truly decided who she wanted whether she realized it at the time or not. She subconsciously knew.

message 10: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) Agreed 100%

I didn't like when she kissed Gale and he said about the "I knew you would kiss me" I was like "oh come on!!! just!!" Kind of made me dislike him haha

message 11: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 30, 2010 05:20AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Gale's telling her about other girls didn't help matters any either. :) He sounded a little too free with his kisses.

message 12: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) Agreed. I wanted to slap him. I wish Katniss had of slapped him haha

message 13: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments So I keep hearing people say the epilogue was unnecessary. Do you agree? I liked the epilogue because after all those cliffhangers where you wanted to know who she chose, I wanted to know she and Peeta did end up together.

message 14: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) I liked the epilogue. If they didn't have that it would have been too big a cliffhanger. It was a really good ending and it was so beautifully done.
I'm the same I wanted to know that Katniss and Peeta ended up together forever.

message 15: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Remember Putarch's statement when they was dropping off Katniss? He rambled a bit about how after the war would be a time of peace. A time when everyone would agree. Then went on to say that eventually things would probably go back to being corrupt. He paused and kind of thought about things. Then said that maybe this time it'd stick.

I think the fact Katniss, a person who never wanted to have children, did suggests things did and would stick.

message 16: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) Very true. I never thought about that!
I think it's wonderful she had children.

When I was reading the epilogue I kept having little images in my head of Katniss and Peeta sitting down with their children when they are older and watching their Hunger Games and the rebellion and just talking about it and crying together and sharing memories.

Katniss talking about Rue and Prim and Finnick etc.
I just kept thinking that and I thought how sad and powerful that moment would be with her children.

message 17: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments She would need to explain the situation with Coin as well and her banishment. They would be one of a handful who knew the true reason Katniss did what she did. I would love to hear what rumors went around about why Katniss did it. I know they spun a story of her being sick, but I still wonder.

message 18: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) It would have been interesting to hear what rumour went around about why Katniss did it and people's reaction to what she did.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments OK, I had to find this tread so I could finally respond. I pretty much agree with everyone's comments and thoughts. I have always been a Team Peeta and was worried that he might be lost to Kat cause of what Snow did to him but it was a good touch. Never did like Gale and I kinda thought he had something up his sleeve. As soon as Kat's group was heading toward Snow's compound I knew several would die. I hated that we lost Boggs as he totally grew on me and Finnick, but with Annie being pregnant he will still be with her. I think Kat being the Mockingjay did help her during trying times.

It killed me when Prim died and I didn't think it had to happen. I mean, both Kat and her Mom suffered a lot with losing Kat's father but now her sister? I wish her Mother would have visited her.

I loved how Peeta wanted to keep Prim's spirit alive by planting the roses and I especially loved the epilogue but think it would have been a twist, mind you a sick twist if the Hunger Games were still going on..

message 20: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 06, 2010 07:08PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Heather, After reading Catching Fire I was wondering if the Hunger Games would be a game inside a game. I'm kind of glad it wasn't. I think Collins was trying to send a message with her book. War is ugly and some people, even those in high positions, are sometimes looking out for no one but themselves. Kind of a heavy lesson for youth.

Anyone else think there was a lesson/message that Collins was trying to convey with this book?

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Lisa, I agree with you about it being a heavy lesson but where else are they going to learn about it? I barely remember learning about any war in middle & high school. With my generation, it was all about nuclear war w/President Reagan.

message 22: by Sashana (new)

Sashana So, I've managed to avoid looking at this page until today. I've managed to avoid all Mockingjay spoilers before I read the book and here are my final thoughts:

I didn't like it nearly as much as the first two. In fact, I think it fell kind of flat and I was thoroughly disappointed. Don't be mistaken, I enjoyed it BUT I spent the whole book waiting for something to happen. The ending was a bit sudden and I felt like Collins rushed it. I felt like I was reading about a different Katniss this book; one who was weaker and more selfish.

message 23: by Rollie (last edited Dec 03, 2010 04:43AM) (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 24 comments Sashana wrote: ". I felt like I was reading about a different Katniss this book; one who was weaker and more selfish.
"

Yeah I really agree with you. It is as if she was another character, not the Katniss I've known from the first two books. :)

message 24: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Rollie wrote: "Sashana wrote: ". I felt like I was reading about a different Katniss this book; one who was weaker and more selfish.
"

Yeah I really agree with you. It is as if she was another character, not t..."

And she spent 98% of the book ignoring Peeta only to end up with him? Then she always wanted to be around Gale and she ends up not talking to him anymore? I really think Collins should have made this series longer than 3 books because the whole thing is just rushed.

message 25: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 24 comments Yeah, the story must have been rushed. The ending was kinda short for me.. Or she could have added pages just to lengthen the story so that the story would be more detailed, but she didn't. Did she have a quota of pages for this book?

message 26: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I guess in a sense all authors have a certain quota to fill. And when Prim died I was like wtf just happened? It took me a whole page just to realize that she died. And I thought someone else would end up being President...I'll give you this, at least we can say that the end was completely unpredictable.

message 27: by Rollie (last edited Dec 03, 2010 05:03AM) (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 24 comments Yes. Really agree because I thought Katniss would end up badly insane. LOL! I didn't expect that Peeta will end up with her either.
And as for Prim, I was really lost there. I never thought that she died not until their confirmation in 13. :)

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Sashana, I was thinking the exact same thing! I hated the fact that Collins killed her off. There was no point. I will give you points that we didn't see kind of end happening.

You would think authors would listen the readers regarding characters and plots..

message 29: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments From the beginning I always knew the Katniss would choose Peeta. Gale represented the life that she once had and could never go back. Peeta was her present and future. Katniss was just unable/unwilling to completely let go of what could have been before the Hunger Games happened to her. Gale would never have truly understood what it was like to be in the arena and to be personally threatened by the president and be the mockinjay. Peeta understood these things, which is one of the many reasons they were perfect for each other. I felt that a lot of the time Gale was being selfish and holding her back when they both knew that it just couldn't work between them.

In a way I'm glad that Snow didn't die at the hands of Katniss. I feel that if she had shot him it would have been all too neat and tidy. I thought that Katniss would rise against Coin, but I thought it would be with her words and her support, not with an arrow. Before Boggs died, I thought that he would become the new leader in the capitol and I'm kind of sad that that couldn't happen.

message 30: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I thought Boggs would have been a great leader and was sick when he died. Oh and Finnick, to finally be able to love whom he wants - it was just so sad that he died.

I'm glad she went with Peeta too. Gale and her may have ended up together if she hadn't went to the Hunger Games, but she kept mentioning that a lot of his ruthlessness he had voiced before but she didn't pay attention because feeding her family was her priority and she thought he was talking about stuff that he couldn't change. I don't know even if she had never got to know Peeta, whether Gale and her would have stayed together if there had been a revolution. I loved this series and was so sad when it ended.

message 31: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 338 comments HUNGER GAMES SERIES SPOILERS

I loved this book, but for a YA series there was just too much sorrow. Prim should have lived a long life in district 12 with her mother, opening a hospital or clinic.

I was happy that Katniss and Gale did not end up together. The author told us repeatedly that the relationship between Katniss and Gale was that of family. In some cases, she portrayed Gale as a father figure, taking care of her family and teaching her to hunt. I would have preferred if Gale had a HEA though, perhaps with the Mayor's daughter, if she had lived.

I felt that Katniss and Peeta belonged together from the first day with the bread. I think they could have left out the brainwashing and just have given him a temporary amnesia.

I felt very invested in the characters and was happy with Katniss and Peeta's ending. I do wish Suzanne Collins gave District 12 a little more happiness.

message 32: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I think Collins likes to give happy endings to her main characters, but has a habit of having another character, not the main, die before the end of the series/trilogy. Perhaps she wants to make her books to replicate life a little bit. Would it have been boring if none of the characters we liked had died? Would we be talking about this series as much if there was a fairytale ending? I think her goal was to invoke our emotions and make us think.

message 33: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 338 comments That's a good point Lisarenee. I've been thinking about this series a lot and replaying it in my mind. I just finished the series two days ago and I'm considering a re-read already.

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments Just read this one again before going to the movie yesterday. Anyone else re-reading and want to chat?

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I think Collins likes to give happy endings to her main characters, but has a habit of having another character, not the main, die before the end of the series/trilogy. Perhaps she wants to make he..."

I agree with this perspective. I like that she didn't try to make Katniss into something she isn't with the ending, and I think that she made the ending as realistic as possible for their circumstances. Knowing Katniss and her responsibility to her family, (view spoiler)

message 36: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I'm in! Haven't read it in awhile but I remember the big points.

Personally I always liked how, throughout the series, the romance was extremely secondary to the actual plot. Katniss couldn't think about that kind of thing because she had so much other stuff going on, between the Games and worrying about her family and Snow and all of it, and I was so glad that we finally had a female main character in YA who wasn't particularly interested in who she was going to end up with in the end. There were points when I really didn't care if the series ended and she wasn't with anyone, to be honest.

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments I completely agree. I love how the books are really about Katniss, her PTSD, and the survival of the people of Panem through her POV. Even when Gale and Peeta are trying to share how they feel, we don't get the full impact because through her eyes, she is focused on the survival of herself and her family, not love. Once everything is settled, she can finally explore how she feels. I am so very glad that Collins wrote the epilogue. I wouldn't have been able to stop thinking about this world without knowing Katniss and the rest of the country ends up ok.

message 38: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie The PTSD bit was fascinating, and I loved the continuity of her being deaf from the explosion/s and all of that, something else I feel is rarely seen in YA books (or perhaps books in general?)

And yes, thank gods for the epilogue. Imagining their kids growing up learning about the Hunger Games is a really intriguing thought.

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments For those of you who have seen the movie and read the book:
(view spoiler)
I can't believe I have to wait an entire year to see it!

message 40: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments I've finally got back to the book and started it again so I'll be back tomorrow with some discussing :)

message 41: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments Great! Can't wait to chat more.

message 42: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I JUST saw the movie holy friggin crappppp I need part two NOWWWW

message 43: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Michelle wrote: "For those of you who have seen the movie and read the book:
[spoilers removed]
I can't believe I have to wait an entire year to see it!"

I came so close to bawling like 5 times just from part one last night, it was ridiculous. Part two will break me.

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments Right?? An entire year will be torture.

message 45: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments Ok, I'm up to chapter 14 so far :)

I've still got Catching Fire on my shelf to watch so I think I'm going to have a Hunger Games week and then go and see Mockingjay next week with a friend.

message 46: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments Back to the book.... I like the way Katniss is portrayed. She's human, she's not a perfect fighter who isn't affected by anything, she's broken. Even so, she thinks about everyone else first, Peeta, Prim, Gale, the other districts. When she returns to 12, everything she rescues is for someone else. She may think she's being selfish about wanting to do things but even the request to hunt, benefits everyone else.

Prim is by far my favourite character, I love the way she sees the world, and how wise she is. (view spoiler)

message 47: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments I think you're right about the fact that it doesn't focus on a romantic interest. Yes, there's a love triangle, but it's a politically induced one that, while integral to the book, doesn't overshadow it and certainly is the last thing on the main character's mind.

message 48: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments I've finished :-)

message 49: by Michelle (last edited Nov 25, 2014 10:23AM) (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments ✿Claire✿ wrote: "Back to the book.... I like the way Katniss is portrayed. She's human, she's not a perfect fighter who isn't affected by anything, she's broken. Even so, she thinks about everyone else first, Pe..."

I agree, Claire. Part of Katniss's appeal for me as a character is because she is human and her flaws are out there for everyone to see. But because of that honesty and just being herself, she makes others want to fight with her. She's the underdog, and everybody loves an underdog (except President Snow!)

(view spoiler)

message 50: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments Michelle wrote: "✿Claire✿ wrote: "Back to the book.... I like the way Katniss is portrayed. She's human, she's not a perfect fighter who isn't affected by anything, she's broken. Even so, she thinks about everyo..."

I would say even Snow has at least a grudging respect for her as an opponent, more so than Coin does.

The others didn't bother me as much as the one I mentioned, I don't know why, maybe it's just the innocence of the character.

(view spoiler)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mockingjay (other topics)