College Students! discussion

Let's Discuss This Book/Author > Omnivore's Dilemma

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Please tell me there are other members who loved reading The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals. In my opinion it was such a good book!!! Also one of those rare books that change your life. Maybe not right away, but little by little. This man is a genius, and what he discovers about the food industry is just astounding. I tried to talk to a friend about it who hasn't read it and she mentioned she didn't care that much about the treatment of livestock. It's so much more than that! If you are one of those people who roll their eyes at PETA members, that doesn't mean this book isn't for you. I think everyone should have the self awareness to educate themselves on where their food comes from. I can't recommend this book enough!

message 2: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 78 comments Emily, I also loved The Omnivore's Dilemma! Michael Pollan is a genuis and his portrayal of FOOD in general is absolutely fantastic. While I was reading it I called it 'the book thats going to make me stop eating' because I was so horrified at all the things I didn't know about agriculture, food, pharmaceuticals, etc. I also recommend this book to anyone who will listen. My only caveat is that this book is VERY dense, expect to be enthralled but read slowly... at least thats what happened with me.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily yay! glas someone else liked it! yeah, it took me about a week to read it, because it was too overwhelming to consume too much at once. Whether or not it changes peoples habits, I think the most importnat part is being aware. If you're interested in the subject, but don't want to read the book I suggest watching the documentery Food Inc. its pretty much the book in movie form. So interesting!

message 4: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 78 comments I agree, Emily. I really liked the way that Food, Inc lent images to the info in the book. I think the movie is a combination of some books though, not just The Omnivore's Dilemma.