Great House Great House discussion

Win an ARC of Great House!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) The blog associated with the College Students group here on Goodreads is having a giveaway and you could win this!

http://brokeandbookish.blogspot.com/2...

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Can anyone give a timeline of ownership of the Desk? I got a little lost: am I to understand that Weisz was Lotte's lover? Or was it his dad? TIA!

Timothy Schirmer Jamie wrote: "The blog associated with the College Students group here on Goodreads is having a giveaway and you could win this!

http://brokeandbookish.blogspot.com/2......"

I wondered the same thing. I think though that neither Weisz nor his father were connected to Lotte, otherwise, Weisz would have had an easier time finding the desk, and that the desk was given to her by someone unnamed who had taken it from the house during the war. I could be wrong, but this was the conclusion I had settled for. -Tim

☯Emily  Ginder Agree with Tim. If Weisz had given the desk to Lotte because he was her lover, he would have known where it was and who she gave it to.

Did anyone else think that Daniel Varsky was Lotte's son for most of the book? Why did she give the desk to him if he wasn't her son? What kind of relationship did they have?

Elana Crane I'm glad to have found this discussion. I read this book several months back and had the same question about how Lotte got the desk. Like Tim, I also thought she received it from someone who had taken it during the war, but I was a bit frustrated because it's not addressed more directly.

Carol Ryan Elana wrote: "I'm glad to have found this discussion. I read this book several months back and had the same question about how Lotte got the desk. Like Tim, I also thought she received it from someone who had ..."

I spent a sleepless night trying to diagram the characters' relationships. I don't think Krauss bothered with those details. She admits she was distracted when writing the book and boy does it show.

Carol Ryan Carol wrote: "Elana wrote: "I'm glad to have found this discussion. I read this book several months back and had the same question about how Lotte got the desk. Like Tim, I also thought she received it from so..."

Lotte got the desk from her baby's father, but who was that? Daniel was about the right age, but wasn't her son.

Mari Can someone remind me--who was Leah(?) related to ? she was supposed to be the daughter of Weisz right? but she said Varsky was her father when she claimed the desk.
I should probably re-read it knowing what I know now but short of that I would love to hear thoughts about the relationships. How did Dov and his father/family fit in? and the adopted son?--that was not Varsky right? (that dynamic was heartbreaking)

Timothy Schirmer It's been a while since I finished the book, but I do remember thinking that Dov and his family were only coincidentally looped into the events when he was hit by the car at the end. -Tim

message 10: by Mari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mari ahhh I didn't even realize he was the one hit by the car. I definitely have to re-read.
thanks!!

Sancho Valhalla i thought Weisz senior (Leah's grandfather) was Lotte's lover and gave her the desk (hence the Weisz family eventually wanting it back). She gave the desk to Varsky because he filled the void her son left (same age etc) and she felt connected to him, also being a writer. Leah lied to Nadia about Varsky being her father to get the desk. I'm still not sure bout the address Leah gives?