Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

210 views
Individual Book Discussions > MOCKINGJAY ****SPOILERS***

Comments Showing 1-50 of 186 (186 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
WARNING! FULL ON SPOILERS!
So what are your thoughts. Discuss everything and anything here.



message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments I thought that the part where prim died was really sad.


message 3: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments Yeah it was!!! I was so conflicted after after finishing Mockingjay, I'm not quite sure what I think. I finished it in one day though!


message 4: by Jordan (last edited Aug 25, 2010 10:33AM) (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Ahhh, I was waiting for this topic.

I finished it in three hours.

I think that this was definitely the darkest book of the three. It was still good, but at the same time, extremely depressing. The deaths were horrible, and I'm disappointed that we didn't learn more about the Avox girl (Lavinia) and Cinna. Speaking of Cinna, since the intelligence "believed" him to be dead, but didn't have proof, I was waiting for him to show up. And then he didn't. *sigh*

Conflicted is a good word. I've also heard shellshock, and grieving for the characters, and those work too.


message 5: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments I also was waited for Cinna....just like I was waiting for Peeta to remember eveything about Katniss and to love her all at once again....didn't happen. Grieving for the characters, thats me today.


message 6: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments I know! I hated how quickly she left Gale for Peeta. I mean, I like both Peeta and Gale but still. That was hard to read.


message 7: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments I loved the part where Finnick and annie got married, but That just made is death 10 times sadder.


message 8: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) I wrote my review. It was really, really hard... http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I'm still not sure about my rating. I do think it deserves those 5 stars...but my heart aches over it.


message 9: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) She limits each of her books to so many parts, chapters and pages. I think that's why it was like that. I think it was a bit rushed, too, but I still liked the ending. It would've been a horrendous ending if it just stopped right when Prim's dead. I like that we get to see Katniss is, in fact, alright in the end.


message 10: by Hope (last edited Aug 25, 2010 02:32PM) (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) Yeah, I will admit that quite a few things were a little strange. I think Katniss resented Gale a little when he wasn't there for her at the hospital or after she shot Coin, and that might have been why she said the thing about him kissing another pair of lips. And he felt guilty about the bombs, and that's why he didn't see her in the hospital, maybe he was too hurt by her inability to forgive him for it to even go to the execution thing? I don't know. It's a limited POV, so it's hard to know exactly what's going on since Katniss doesn't know what's going on most of the time.

Oh thanks. :) I see a lot of problems with the book, too, but I wanted to keep it spoiler free. At least for now. ;) Still not 100% sure on my rating... :/


message 11: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) I was always a 100% Peeta shipper, but I did feel a little bad for him. Though the story about how Gale fell for Katniss was sorta, well... lame, I guess. I don't know why. I think she must have felt it a little, too.


message 12: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetaaaaaa......... <33 I mean i was ok with gale.... until he wanted to blow up the mountain AND the train tracks.... then i was just like "whoa. whats up with you?" And finnick dying was the worst.... :( And what happened to Pollux!?!?! I liked him!!


April*procrastinator and proud* (boo-bop) | 6 comments I found that the third book had a sort of beauty and feeling to it the other 2 didn't have.
I thought it was amazing. I cried on the last pages where they made the book and the epilogue.
The epilogue was heart warming and sweet.
I kept on saying that Peeta would make a great father for Katniss's kids and they were all like "no she's not going to have kids, never." But she did!!


message 14: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments Yeah! It was so good, so sad....but I enjoyed it. Peeta....I love him, always did. <3


message 15: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) I loved the ending. Peeta + Katniss forever. <333 I like that they were able to be happy again in the end. There was a huge sense of loss, and you could feel that, and that's what made it so hard to swallow. But I still loved that it ended with those two together. They both need each other, and I'm so glad about the kids. Only thing is, I wish we could know their names.


message 16: by Kendall Anne (last edited Aug 26, 2010 07:00PM) (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments Yeah me to. Love the ending, even though at first I was like "What, thats the END?" Haha I'm slowly getting over my Mockingjay sickness XD


message 17: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments Hope wrote: "I loved the ending. Peeta + Katniss forever. <333 I like that they were able to be happy again in the end. There was a huge sense of loss, and you could feel that, and that's what made it so har..."

i totally agree!


message 18: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments CiCi♥Matt and Kate Forever♥ Airborn Fanatic! wrote: "Yeah me to. Love the ending, even though at first I was like "What, thats the END?" Haha I'm slowly getting over my Mockingjay sickness XD"

i know right? haha i hope someday i will get over my withdrawal.... haha... thats a... thats a reference...


message 19: by Diana (new)

Diana I just finished Mockingjay. I took me awhile to figure out everything that was happening at the end. It all happened so fast. I don't really blame Katniss for killing President Coin, I really didn't like her.


message 20: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Chandloski: I will admit that I was slightly disappointed. Some of the points you made I COMPLETELY agree with. But here is my take on the whole thing.

Mockingjay has a deeper, darker feel to it than the two previous books. It is much more intense. It is much more thought- and emotion-provoking. I mean, Prim's death? Nearly tore my heart out. I still imagined her as the little twelve-year-old we met her as, even though she'd matured beyond anything up til her death. Unfortunately, Prim dying was actually a prediction I made prior to the release of the book. I so wish I had been wrong.

Ok, I know I'm totally jumping around here, but the thing that absolutely irritated me the most was the fact that Katniss literally forgets all about Gale. Or so it seems. He was her BEST FRIEND. He was there for her when no one else could be, and vice versa. They were together for everything that happened, and then.... Poof. Gale goes bye-bye, and we never see him again. It doesn't help that I was Team Gale. Or that Gale, Finnick (more to come on this later) and Prim were my favorite characters. I adored Gale, because he had the guts to do what everyone else didn't. And he had been Katniss's best friend. And then in the epilogue, with Katniss and her kids and Peeta... Where on earth is Gale? I WANT GALE. Gale needs to be there. Gale needs to be there with his own wife and his own kids so they can all share the heartache they still have. That's how it should have been. But was it? No. Gale skips off into the sunset in 2, and we never hear from him again.

My point? There is no closure with Gale. It's left hanging. We really don't know.

And then Finnick. I was so incredibly sad for him while he was in 13 without Annie. And when Annie came, and when they got married, I was so completely thrilled for him. And for her. It was meant to be. And then he dies. Just kind of out of the blue, he dies. And not even in a way he can control, if you know what I mean. This made me SO upset. And then, I completely expected Annie to die or fall into some sort of depression from grief. But no! She's functioning well enough to attend a meeting and make conscious decisions calmly. And she's pregnant? Did I miss the part where they told us she was pregnant? Cuz I just remember the bit about "the picture of Finnick and Annie's newborn baby".

Despite all of this, I still thought it was a good book. It wraps up the series well enough. Most of the book is so completely enthralling that I didn't put it down for most of the night last night. And the emotion behind it really kept me going.

But... I still don't know. I'm still REALLY conflicted about how I feel about this one. I think I'll reread the series, and see where I am after that.

I apologize about the length of this. I was just kind of spewing thoughts, and whatever came to mind was a lot of stuff.


message 21: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Taylor wrote: "Ok, I know I'm totally jumping around here, but the thing that absolutely irritated me the most was the fact that Katniss literally forgets all about Gale. Or so it seems. He was her BEST FRIEND. He was there for her when no one else could be, and vice versa. They were together for everything that happened, and then.... Poof. Gale goes bye-bye, and we never see him again. It doesn't help that I was Team Gale. Or that Gale, Finnick (more to come on this later) and Prim were my favorite characters. I adored Gale, because he had the guts to do what everyone else didn't. And he had been Katniss's best friend. And then in the epilogue, with Katniss and her kids and Peeta... Where on earth is Gale? I WANT GALE. Gale needs to be there. Gale needs to be there with his own wife and his own kids so they can all share the heartache they still have. That's how it should have been. But was it? No. Gale skips off into the sunset in 2, and we never hear from him again. "

I completely agree, but I think part of that is due to Katniss blaming Gale for Prim's death. And he's probably guilty, too.


message 22: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I can see that, but it still bothers me to no end. He. Was. Her. Best. Friend. End of story. And neither of them even made an effort. I guess that's what bothers me more than anything.


message 23: by Lydia (last edited Aug 27, 2010 06:56AM) (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments chandloski wrote: "Taylor wrote: "I feel like Katniss/Peeta only happened the way it did because she was desperate. Gale said it eariler in the book when he noticed that Finnick and Katniss were getting close: Desperate people can do some crazy things (paraphrasing here). And Katniss did exactly that. She clung to Peeta because he was the only one there. She needed to escape the pain and the nightmares and the fact that he stayed was convienent for her. Had Gale stayed instead, then Katniss would've turned to him and ended up with Gale. "

But you could argue the exact same thing with her ending up with Gale. And Gale pretty much abandoned her. Katniss was in no shape to go after him and he never made an attempt to comfort her. But who was there for her? Peeta. He came after her right when he could. I think Katniss saw that.

But I do agree with you when you say if Gale stayed she would have ended up with him. But he didn't, whoever had stayed she would have ended up with. Peeta had the compassion to stay and be there for Katniss when she needed him, while Gale did not. She needed someone.... and in the end I think it was Peeta who needed her too.

Sorry, I'm tired, woke up early. Rambling on..... :)


message 24: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments but i am a Peeta shipper.... sorry :)


message 25: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) I dunno, guys...I think she loved Peeta more. I don't think it was "settling." Remember, she said that it would have ended up that way anyway. I think Collins put that so we WOULDN'T be saying she'd have chose Gale if they'd both been there. Because it's silly. But here we are, still arguing about who she would've picked in a different situation. She and Gale were never meant to end up together, and they never would have. I firmly believe that Collins had it planned out from the very beginning that Peeta and Katniss would be together in the end.

And, I don't think Katniss ended up a shell of herself. I saw a few people say that they did.
I think she ended up herself again. Changed, yes. But not a shadow of her former self.


message 26: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments Hope wrote: "I dunno, guys...I think she loved Peeta more. I don't think it was "settling." Remember, she said that it would have ended up that way anyway. I think Collins put that so we WOULDN'T be saying s..."

You do have a point :)


message 27: by Diana (new)

Diana I hated the end where Gale just went and left. You'd think that since he and Katniss are best friends, he'd be there for her.


message 28: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments exactly!


message 29: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments I gave it 5. Because i want it to be. I am ashamed :(



but keeping the 5 :\


message 30: by Diana (new)

Diana Lydia wrote: "I gave it 5. Because i want it to be. I am ashamed :(



but keeping the 5 :\"


Same here. I only gave it five stars because the other two books were really good.


message 31: by Kendall Anne (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments I'm either going to give it 5 or 4 because the rest of the series is so good!!!!!!


message 32: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments I give it a 4.5. lolz
I was SO mad when Prim died! I was literally yelling at Sazanne COllins for that. SHe's killed off my 2 faveorite characters! Prim and Cinna! But you could tell that Prim had really grown up in this book- and she was like, 13!


message 33: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments Amber wrote: "Finnick was amazinggg in Mockingjay. Not gonna lie."

Yes :) i loved him


message 34: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I loved Prim. And Finnick.

Dang it.


message 35: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments Amber wrote: "They just had to go off and die. *sigh*"

haha sad but funny... just how you worded it i mean


message 36: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (benjamintkw) | 16 comments The first time I read it I skimmed it, then reread it, then the 3rd time I reread it I sucked in st of the little details and I did this in a day. I though it was so sad when Prim died if she were to die I wish it had been a calmer death.


message 37: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments I know. So sad.


Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) Hmmm....
Raise your hand if this book
- disappointed you in any way.

Because I just finished it last night, and I felt a major letdown. Like, "I've been waiting and anticipating for THIS?!?!"

And it's a bummer.


message 39: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments it did disappoint me a bit... but i gave it 5 stars for the series as a whole... which i know is bad but....


message 40: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (benjamintkw) | 16 comments I totally agree Amelia


message 41: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments ya.... :(


message 42: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (benjamintkw) | 16 comments Although on the good side I was happy she ended up with Peeta and I loved the ending :D


message 43: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Hartman | 321 comments ☆★Ben★☆ wrote: "Although on the good side I was happy she ended up with Peeta and I loved the ending :D"

YES


message 44: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (benjamintkw) | 16 comments Although still on a basis mostly a disappointment I want another epilouge with the capital children hunger games.


Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) The series overall (counting all 3) would be 4 stars for me... but I couldn't give this one more than 3. Yeah, I liked the ending, but I didn't really feel like Katniss earned it, you know? I still am unconvinced that she loves Peeta. I mean, Gale just left, so it kind of made her decision easier, didn't it?
I just hated her after the way she treated Peeta. It wasn't his fault what happened to him! And she made next to no effort to help him because she couldn't be bothered! Ugghhhh Katniss! ZERO emotional development!


Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 592 comments Amelia (Imagination in Focus) wrote: "Hmmm....
Raise your hand if this book
- disappointed you in any way.

Because I just finished it last night, and I felt a major letdown. Like, "I've been waiting and anticipating for THIS?!?!"

..."


I was mostly disappointed by how the deaths were just skimmed over. Madge was mentioned twice. Finnick's death was given a few paragraphs. Cinna was just presumed dead throughout the book. We don't know any of the details behind it at all.

And it really upset me when Katniss voted for doing one last Hunger Games.


message 47: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments *raises hand*


Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) Thanks Amber!
I mean, I so wanted Katniss to end up with Peeta, and I'm kinda glad she did, but...I don't really feel like the readers were given a reason WHY she chose him, except that Gale bailed and everybody else died, so might as well be with Peeta, eh?

And Rachel's right about the deaths, but they didn't bother me as much as Katniss' deplorable treatment of Peeta. That was the one thing I couldn't get over. The thing with the HUNGER GAMES felt weird too, but I can see why Katniss would vote that way. I don't think it ever happened though, did it? I was just skimming to be done with the dang thing.


Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) I know! I LOVED the first two...and I liked the ending here...I really should have just skipped to the last chapter and then made up my own rendition of the story :P

To me, Suzanne Collins pretty much committed character suicide TWICE here - first with the whole Jekyll/Hyde Peeta thing, and then with having Katniss fail at every opportunity to express feelings for EITHER of the two. The whole Pissy-Peeta thing would have worked beautifully if it had prompted Katniss to try and "win him back" somehow or whatever...but instead, she goes into blame mode and refuses to deal with anyone. I can't believe she actually got mad at Gale when she overheard him talking to Peeta about the whole "one she can't survive without" thing. Suzanne, you made me HATE Katniss! You made me actually wish President Snow would kill her or something... or at least say, "Hahaha it worked! Me torturing Peeta had the EXACT effect I wanted it to on you! LOL!"

But...alas.


message 50: by Kendall Anne (last edited Aug 30, 2010 07:45PM) (new)

Kendall Anne (dance4life) | 785 comments Amelia (Imagination in Focus) wrote: I just hated her after the way she treated Peeta. It wasn't his fault what happened to him! And she made next to no effort to help him because she couldn't be bothered! Ugghhhh Katniss! ZERO emotional development!

I know right? I felt the same way!! KATNISS, WHY ARE YOU BEING SO MEAN? ITS NOT HIS FAULT! Poor Peeta...and Katniss acted so unemotional!


« previous 1 3 4
back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

Misery (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephenie Meyer (other topics)