message 1: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Use this thread to comment on:
- THE RULES OF THE CHALLENGE (rev. 2)
- Posting Requirements
- Community Guidelines
- Guidelines for Task Creators
- suggestions about the challenges

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments one suggestion looking at the books that were annouced as winners for the group reads...2 of the 3 were book 3 in a trilogy, so if you haven't read the previous books then you either have to find a way to squeeze the other series books into challenges, or read them and not count them. There were several other books nominated that were part of series - I would propose that maybe limit group reads books to non-series to allow those of us who have not read them (and I haven't read either) more opportunity...as it stands right now...unless I can find a way to fit either hunger games/catching fire or the millenium trilogy into challenge categories (which I know can be done), i have like one book for group reads to pick from

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15618 comments Mod
Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "one suggestion looking at the books that were annouced as winners for the group reads...2 of the 3 were book 3 in a trilogy, so if you haven't read the previous books then you either have to find a..."

actually, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest is not a winner - there was a tie in that category.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments but if it wins, then its the same sit...I'm just recommending that maybe books for group reads not be in a series

message 5: by Barbara VA (new)

Barbara VA (barbarava) Totally agree with Delicious Dee! I love series as much as the next person. I am already going to read the next book in each of my own particular favorite series and find a way to fit them in, or read and not count points (why I only get to 350!) Books 1 and 2 in a new series is asking a bit much!

message 6: by El (new)

El I see Dee made the comment already about the series. It did seem there were more suggestion this time around for later books in an ongoing series or trilogy. For those of us who don't read series often it's unfortunate to see those options - I felt the options were actually pretty limited once I removed all of those that required reading other books in a series. That in addition to the actual task that requires reading books much later in a series (#s 9, 10 and/or 11) seems a bit much.

message 7: by Petra (new)

Petra I also agree. I've been watching the Polls and hoping that the Series books won't win. Not because they aren't worth reading but it limits the number of people who can participate in that Task.

message 8: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I agree though I did vote for Mockingjay *sweatdrop*. I love that series! But otherwise, I've read Hornet's Nest and I would NEVER EVER want someone to jump to Book 3 without reading 1/2. It isn't the same suspenseful build-up.

So maybe in the future for the Group Reads -- can they be stand alones? If it's a book in a series that can stand alone by itself like Discworld, Nancy Drew, etc, I can see that as being alright. But I sincerely feel bad for everyone else who hasn't read Book 1/2 or even Books 1-8.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz Agreed! I actually voted for The Passage even though I would more likely read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest just so it opens up another reading option for those who haven't already read the first books in the series.

message 10: by El (new)

El Thanks, Liz! I actually did read the first book but really have little desire to read the second book for the challenge in order to be able to read the third if it wins.

message 11: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Making restrictions on the type of books for anything is not a road I'm willing to start down.

The top 30 players on the Readerboard at the Midpoint WIN the right to pick books. They can pick any type of book they want (except for children's picture books).

message 12: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I just want to add that if it was the most voted for books then there obviously were enough people that actually want to read the book.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

The other problem is that, as the comments in the help thread for task 25.1 show, there are numerous opinions on what is a series and on whether a particular series needs to be read in order or not.

If there was a rule like this, in order to screen out series books, I'd have to evaluate 30 books, figure out whether they were part of a series, then figure out whether it was a series that had to be read in order. And even if the nominator and I both thought you could read the particular book without reading the earlier one(s), there would be other people who didn't agree.

Of course, people who nominate can take things like this into account, and so can the people who vote for the final books.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments I would agree to that with long runnign series...i.e. Agatha Christie etc...however, the two books specifically mentioned are parts of trilogies and therefore most definately interconnected

Sandy wrote: "The other problem is that, as the comments in the help thread for task 25.1 show, there are numerous opinions on what is a series and on whether a particular series needs to be read in order or not..."

message 15: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Absolutely! ^.^

But I think it's good people are voicing this opinion. It simply makes others more aware when it comes to the initial Group Reads voting time to possibly consider the "series" issues.

And yeah, Meghan. I did Mockingbird b/c I know there's likely to be a LARGE amount of folks who'll want to read the novel. I'm wondering if I can hold out from reading it until September! *giggles*

message 16: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments 23. THE 25 POINT TASKS – Other players who complete the challenge get the opportunity to create a 25 point task for the next challenge.
NOTE: If no one completes the challenge then the 3 top point earners get to create a 25 point task for the next challenge.

I have what may be a stupid question...who are the "other players" and why do they get relegated to 25pts? I'm asking because I noticed we seemed to have listed 1 25 pt task before we finished the 30 pt task list? I'm also asking because I recycle the same spreadsheet every quarter, and I need to know should I shuffle my headers if we won't have 10 25 pt tasks every time???

message 17: by scherzo♫ (last edited Aug 26, 2010 09:10AM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) In previous challenges, tasks for the first players to finish the challenge were posted as 25 point tasks and then moved to 30 point tasks as more players finished the challenge.

We're trying to avoid moving TASKS which required everyone to change their spreadsheets and plans.

Seems easier to add or delete columns than move TASKS and books from 25 to 30. It's definitely easier on the Moderators.

The earliest finishers still get 30 point tasks and later finishers still get 25 point tasks.

Until the Spring Challenge, there were only 3 20-point tasks. Having less than 10 tasks for other points is the same situation.

Elizabeth (Alaska) pjreads wrote: "Until the Summer Challenge, there were only 3 20-point tasks. Having less than 10 tasks for other points is the same situation."

And until the Summer Challenge, Cynthia wasn't completely overwhelmed. I wonder if there's a connection.

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "who are the "other players" and why do they get relegated to 25pts? I'm asking because I noticed we seemed to have listed 1 25 pt task before we finished the 30 pt task list?.."

"other players" are those who finished the challenge after the 21st, rules now say that those who finish the challenge by the posting date for the 5,10,15 pointers will do 30 point tasks.

The only reason that a 25 point task showed up before all the 30's is that not all the 30 point task creators had worked up their tasks. It had nothing to do with finish order, just to do with how quickly people got their tasks in.

message 20: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "pjreads wrote: "Until the Summer Challenge, there were only 3 20-point tasks. Having less than 10 tasks for other points is the same situation."

And until the Summer Challenge, Cynthia wasn't co..."

I am sure Cynthia was overwhelmed and spent lots of time on this before Summer. She (according to her own posts) had lots of personal and work issues during the summer that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Thus the reason for having more than one moderator and all the praise for the ladies who have done an awesome job keeping this Challenge going for all of us to enjoy.

Thank you again....

message 21: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments OK, so it is 30 pts, then 25, then on to 35 if that is necessary? That will help me set up my spreadsheet. There was mention of 35 in one of the rules, that was part of what confused me. Thanks.

message 22: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) 30 point tasks for early finishers, if more than 10 early finishers then 35 point tasks.

25 point tasks for later finishers ... may be more than 10

message 23: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I do like the change with the early/later finishers. I noticed it this season and smiled since it DOES make it easier for me spreadsheet wise -- no more flipping things around. Just add rows! YAY!

message 24: by Tami (new)

Tami P | 240 comments does anyone have a good spreadsheet format they can share? I actually ended up doing one task twice because I didn't keep good enough track...thanks.

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments Tami if you pm me your email, i can send you mine tonight when i get home from work

message 26: by Foxy Grandma (last edited Aug 26, 2010 10:02AM) (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Tami wrote: "does anyone have a good spreadsheet format they can share? I actually ended up doing one task twice because I didn't keep good enough track...thanks."
Here is the one I use:

Fall 10 Spreadsheet

If you can't get to it, I will gladly email it to you.

message 27: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Tami, this is the one I use
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...

message 29: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 243 comments This is the spreadsheet I'm using: Fall 2010 Spreadsheet

message 30: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) I guess this is the best place to ask about the logo design contest. In the future, would it be possible to require designers to post where they got any resources they used? It's just a matter of copyright violation and the potential for it doing something like this. I know the bulk of what I have designed for others I have always had to include links to where I got certain elements of my designs, and I just feel more comfortable having some sort of rule like that in place for the logo design contest. I would even post links to the resources I used right now (well, after I sleep since my head is spinning a bit right now) so people could see where I got my inspiration/ideas/whatever.

message 31: by scherzo♫ (last edited Aug 27, 2010 02:10AM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Caity wrote: "I guess this is the best place to ask about the logo design contest. In the future, would it be possible to require designers to post where they got any resources they used? It's just a matter of c..."

Good idea! Always important to credit the creators/ inspirers, especially on a site like this.

Post 1 in the current Logo Contest thread does state:
"Pictures and anything used to create the logo should be original material (i.e. no copyrighted images)."

I added the following to Post 1 for the next Logo Contest: "Include links in your post to resources modified for elements of your design."

(Note: The Logo Contest is not addressed in the rules which are focused on the Challenge.)

message 32: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Thanks to everyone who gave a link to their spreadsheet designs for the challenge. It is going to help this newbie get her reading set out neatly as I have a memory like holy cheese!