SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

All Book Discussions > Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Here we can recommend books to others. And if you are looking for recommendations of any kind you will find it here :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

For a good laugh (but a bit to much detail I'm afraid) read Watermelon by Marian Keyes

message 3: by Nix (new)

Nix With Good Behavior by Jennifer Lane! With Good Behavior by Jennifer Lane

message 4: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Will put it on my to-read list :)

message 5: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2445 comments Mod
I think I mentioned these somewhere else, but I highly recommend the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. It was the first time in quite a while that I couldn't wait to finish all three books in the trilogy, one after the other.

The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1) by Brent Weeks Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2) by Brent Weeks Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3) by Brent Weeks

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I will definitely have to look into them! Maybe find a way to work it into my challenge :)

message 7: by Nix (new)

Nix Lu wrote: "Will put it on my to-read list :)"

Cool! :)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (wondrousreadings) I loved the Wicked Lovely series from Melissa Marr

message 9: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I loved the first book, but the second one lost me :(

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (wondrousreadings) Yeah the first book was my favorite one, I didnt like any of the others, Fraglie Eternity was my second favorite. I think I didnt like the others that much because Seth wasnt in them.

message 11: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
So best not to go on?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Cant wait to read it

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Seeing that these books were recommended to me By Lauren, I thought Id pass them on. If you like books with ,suspense, intrigue and a stellar plot that will keep you guessing til the end then try these books. I know a few of you in here read James Patterson, well if you like Patterson, you'll love Dennis Lehane.

They are the Kenzie & Gennaro Series. The series starts with:

A Drink Before the War (Kenzie & Gennaro, #1) by Dennis Lehane

Darkness, Take My Hand (Kenzie & Gennaro, #2) by Dennis Lehane

Sacred (Kenzie & Gennaro, #3) by Dennis Lehane

Gone, Baby, Gone (Kenzie & Gennaro, #4) by Dennis Lehane READ

Prayers for Rain (Kenzie & Gennaro, #5) by Dennis Lehane READ

Highly Recommended!!

message 15: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Shame on you Emma! There goes my plan of only reading books I already have. =)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Emma! If Dennis Lehane gets picked for Author of the Month, we'll have loads to pick from, thank :)

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Niecole wrote: "Emma! If Dennis Lehane gets picked for Author of the Month, we'll have loads to pick from, thank :)"

Well I am hoping he does get picked, although he does have some competition. It would be nice for you guys to get hooked on him too.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Tell me more about him?

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen "Fall on your Knees" by Ann-Marie MacDonald

message 20: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Thanks Karen! Will have to check it out :)

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

If you're a fan of YA fiction and/or fairytales, I highly recommend this. Buy/borrow/download the free ebook asap, it's such a wonderful novel.

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments The Giver By Lois Lowry

The Passage By Justin Cronin

message 23: by Shiran (new)

Shiran | 23 comments Lu wrote: "I loved the first book, but the second one lost me :("

I totally agree, the first one had me on the edge of my seat but then she just dragged out the second and the third was hard for me to finish.

message 24: by Shiran (new)

Shiran | 23 comments If you are a vampire fan take a look at the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost. You will become addicted from book one and you'll be on team bones in no time. :)

Also the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon is great if you like vampires and greek/roman mythology.

message 25: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I have been meaning to check out the Night Huntress series Shiran!

Love the Dark-Hunter series :)

message 26: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Sorry what Lu? Did you just say you have not read Night Huntress?? You HAVE to read it!! HAVE to! I loved it!

message 27: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Lol will do! Just so many books to read :(

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin By George R. R Martin

Best book I have read! Thats saying alot :-)

message 29: by Claudia (last edited Apr 06, 2011 10:29AM) (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger
It's better than chocolate.

message 30: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Oh Yeah, amen to that!

message 31: by Mike (new)

Mike | 2 comments I read something good. Here's the novel
http://novel-theservant.blogspot.com

message 32: by Mike (new)

Mike | 2 comments Sorry. I should have been more specific. If you're Afrikaners, I highly recommend this novel: http://novel-theservant.blogspot.com. It's about reverse-apartheid and "Superman" is on your side. Malema and Shoot the Boer is in there too as well as the attacks on white farmers. I have never cried reading a book but I cried on this one for little Maggie from the white squatter camp. Is the novel banned in South Africa by the ANC? Cheers.

message 33: by Michele (last edited May 30, 2011 05:42AM) (new)

Michele Brenton (banana_the_poet) I would like to recommend Saturdays Are Gold Saturdays Are Gold by Pierre Van Rooyen by Pierre Van Rooyen.

The novel is set in 1940s South Africa. Pierre grew up in Johannesburg during that time and so it has an authentic 'voice' in the narrator - Tadpole. It is a thriller/adventure with paranormal overtones.

It is to be released in hardback and ebook on Saturday the 25th June and there will be a Goodreads Giveaway running until the 25th July for 3 signed book plated copies.

Here is the book trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yma1hY...

I have reviewed it on Goodreads if you would like to find out more.

message 34: by Michele (new)

Michele Brenton (banana_the_poet) Saturdays Are Gold is now available as a special edition signed ebook :)

Saturdays Are Gold - Signed edition

If you go to the Amazon link on the US site there is a review up and some customer images of the 'extras' you get to make it a special edition ebook. It will only be available to buy in this edition for ONE month - after then a standard ebook will be put up for sale instead. You can download the first 5 chapters as a sample to see what you think of it. I'm pretty sure you'll be hooked!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

If you've ever read Memoirs of a Geisha, then please pick up this book, you'll love it.
The movie is also comming out this year

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Thanks Niecole for letting me know about the movie, I had no idea that they had one planned. Its one I will be looking forward to watching.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's going to be beautiful
I saw the trailer and it gave me goosebumps! I tried posting the trailer here but I couldnt find the right website again :(

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Johannes, we have a thread where authors can self-promote: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 39: by Johannes (new)

Johannes Gouws | 5 comments Okey Dokie - silly me, forgot to read the fine print.

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith It's ok, there's no real fine print. Rather, in online bookclubs and message boards, it's considered discourteous for authors to to (ab)use threads for marketing, especially when they don't normally participate in discussions.

This group is pretty lenient about it, but in others (especially sites like LibraryThing) you'd get flagged for spam and admin would delete your posts for not using the proper channels.

message 41: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Thanks for mentioning this Lauren, as I find it rather irritating, especially as you say the author is not part of any discussions and only here to promote a book.

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith No problem Emma; I don't like it either.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I just want to say thank you to all of you who recommended A Game of Thrones, it is an amazing book! I'm nearly done with book 2 and I'd recommend this book to EVERYONE!

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
Divergent
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
Seriously I know I have said this before but I don't feel like anyone is taking me seriously enough. This book is beyond awesome. Even if you don't like dystopian novels or are put off by the fact that it is YA just give it a chance. It is one of the best books I can ever remeber reading and as of last night I have read 1197 so that's saying something!

message 45: by Adam (last edited Apr 26, 2012 02:29PM) (new)

Adam (adam_yamey) | 19 comments Daar kom die Alibama

You know the song.

Now read about the history of the Confederate boat about which this song relates in the book "Here Comes The Alabama".

See:http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 46: by Adam (new)

Adam (adam_yamey) | 19 comments I have just finished reading Drawn in Colour: African Contrasts. Written in 1960 by a black South African, this book, amongst other things, compares the lives of 'blacks' living under Apartheis with those living in a much freer Uganda just two years before Independence. My review is on: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 47: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Murdoch-Eaton | 5 comments It looks like this thread has gone dormant which is a pity, I have been looking for somewhere to get recomendations for books others have enjoyed.

A book I read fairly recently - though it isn't a new release - that I found amazingly good (considering that it is not my normal choice of genre) was "The Help" written by Kathryn Stockett. The story is about black (American) maids working in white households in the '60s but it doesn't belabour the oppression and racism angle that we have become so tired of hearing (speaking for myself anyway).

It's a very well written book that I couldn't put down, I strongly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
If it is half as good as the movie then the book should be awesome!

message 49: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Agreed! :)

message 50: by Emma (last edited Nov 10, 2012 07:55AM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments The help is a book that i have had on my shelves for ages and just haven't gotten around to reading yet. I also just got the movie so wondering if iwatch the movie will it ruin the book?

« previous 1