Cozy Mysteries discussion

Buddy Reads > The Woman in White

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 18147 comments Mod
Umm, that's The Woman in White. Singular, not plural. You might want to edit the thread title. ;-)

message 2: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 27 comments OOO Look forward to this discussion I LOVED this book!

message 3: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 97 comments I'm in! I've been meaning to read this for years and it sounds like the perfect creepy Halloween read :)

message 4: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) My thoughts exactly, Nairabell. I'm in!

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Curtis (cjccur) | 68 comments If anyone has a nook or wants to use the free nook for PC app. this book is one of the free downloads from Barnes and Noble this week. http://bn,com/freelibrary

message 6: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Aug 27, 2010 10:43AM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 18147 comments Mod
Chris - your link won't work as you have a comma instead of a period. Anyone interested in the free book try this:

http://bn.com/freelibrary

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Curtis (cjccur) | 68 comments Sorry! I should have put my glasses on.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lissieb7) | 80 comments Sounds good! I can't wait for October!

message 9: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments Everyone knows that they can usually download public domain books right from the GR page, right? If you go to the page for The Woman in White, or any public domain book, there's a button on the left. It will either say "download ebook" or "preview ebook." If it's preview, then click on it. The ebook will open, click on the download ebook button. It will take you to a page where you can download different formats. If you click on the link that says "manage your ereaders" and input yours, it will put a checkmark near the compatible formats. Then, just click on download.

message 10: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) Oh, that's so cool. I didn't know that, Shay. Thanks for the info.

*hungrily searches for all the classics on her TBR list*

message 11: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) IT HAS BEGUN!

*lightning flashes across the sky*

The month of October, that is, and as a result our Wilkie Collins' buddy reads for this month. Woo hoo!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 71 comments I'm looking forward to this one! Also used it in the clue challenge. Nice!

message 13: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) There are days when I feel like that myself. Like the old governess.

message 14: by Lisa (last edited Oct 21, 2010 06:58AM) (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 71 comments When I found out that Collins was good friends with Dickens, I trembled, but the book is, surprisingly, easy to read. *phew*

message 15: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments Oh, phooey--didn't know about this challenge in time--no time to get book and read it--catch you in Nov!

message 16: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments I just ordered a copy from half.com this afternoon but it won't be here for almost two weeks--at so many pages you all will have forgotten it by the time I get it read! LOL But that is okay--there is another group reading for Nov so I'll have currency with them and ancient history with you guys!

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 71 comments What a fun book! It does leave you on the edge of your seat!

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments Kari wrote: "Even though it took awhile I finally finished this book. I really liked the way it was written. And everyone got what they deserved."

Funny--what do they all deserve? Don't tell me!!! Laura will, hopefully, get her drawing master but I don't know what I think the others deserve yet. Isn't that uncle a hoot? How funny it would have been if the Count had brought his white mice along for the visit! I bet Louis would be grinning from ear to ear whilst listening with his ear to the keyhole!

message 19: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments The uncle drives me mad! But, without giving anything away--one down and two or, is it, three to go!! The end is nigh!

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 71 comments I must agree, that uncle drives me CRAZY! My nerves, my nerves!

message 21: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) I loved it. Not as much as The Moonstone but very close to that. Speaking of which...

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 71 comments This was great book. Enjoyed everything about it. I'm going to put The Moonstone on my TR list.

message 23: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments Lisa wrote: "This was great book. Enjoyed everything about it. I'm going to put The Moonstone on my TR list."

Me,too--now to find a copy. For the time being I am going to read something a little shorter.

message 24: by Paula (new)

Paula | 104 comments I had a problem getting into the book. I read 50 pages and put it aside, I just couldn't get into the writing style. I read something else then picked it back up. I ended up really liking the story, but this seemed like the lonnngest book I've ever read. : ) I know the language in the 1800's was much different than it is today where you can set something up in a couple of paragraphs rather than pages and pages. Once I got into the writing I enjoyed the characters more and what was happening in the story.

I could have hung the Uncle, he was a piece of work. I really liked Marion, she was such a strong character.

message 25: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments Paula wrote: "I had a problem getting into the book. I read 50 pages and put it aside, I just couldn't get into the writing style. I read something else then picked it back up. I ended up really liking the story..."

I agree with your comments on need to set up scenes in lengthy pages in 19thc works. But when one thinks of the forms of entertainment that have arisen since the days of reading as the only escape, it is certainly understandable. Radio gave a voice to images and TV and movies provided the images. By serializing the reading became more tenable and indeed kept the reader anxiously waiting the next installment. Keeping that in mind, I've developed more tolerance for the form.

message 26: by Sukhi (new)

Sukhi (svgoomer) I understand exactly what you mean, Paula. When I first started reading Victorian novels, I had the same problem. I couldn't understand why it had to take a lifetime to develop a scene. Katherine's suggestion is great, to keep the era the novel was written in mind.

What I also find helps is to remind myself to be patient and enjoy the progress, slow as it may seem. I remind myself that I read purely for the pleasure of it, and half the pleasure is in knowing that there's no need to rush to the next scene, and to savour each word as it appears on the page. Or at least I try to. It's like Zen-reading. :-P

One of the differences I found between White and Moonstone is readability. I thought Moonstone was a little more readable than White. It might be because the type of mystery was different. The former was more gothic, and the latter seemed a little more like a cozy mystery. Did anyone else feel this way?

message 27: by Paula (new)

Paula | 104 comments Bookworm, that's very true about books written back then. I normally get right into them but this one was difficult. I think part of it was the fact I had just finished reading a fast paced thriller which really was a contrast to "Woman". After putting it down and returning after reading something a little slower paced, I think helped. We also have to remember that books in that time would not as plentiful and the language was so much more proper. You really did get a lot out of your reading back then.

Kari, I think that's why I liked Marion's character, she didn't fit the fragile female of the day and was more assertive.

message 28: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments I felt that way, too, Kari right from the start of her appearance in the dining room. Again, considering when Collins was writing this, it may have been to only way for his readers to accept her outspokeness. I'm sure it was a bit scandalous nonetheless. I wonder how many of the women following the story secretly admired her, too and wished to be more like her?

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan (susangrimes) | 19 comments I read Moonstone in the 90's--and loved it. I immediately bought Woman In White as I read it was Collin's favorite. Have never read it, so thanks for the gentle nudge to finally open this book.

message 30: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice I read 'The Woman in White' last year when a friend loaned it to me. I could not put it down. I loved it. I haven't read 'Moonstone' yet but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

message 31: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 451 comments I started Moonstone and do like it but haven't had time to read it and will probably have to start over. I loved WiW which is why I moved on to this one.

message 32: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice I guess I'll have to start reading my copy.

message 33: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 630 comments I read Moonstone a while back, and thoroughly enjoyed the layout of the book. Woman in White is along the same guidelines. Am reading Woman in White along with the Bros. Karamazov.