Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > Bond...James Bond

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CaliGirlRae (last edited Aug 24, 2010 08:29PM) (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 274 comments In some ways, James Bond is the ultimate bad boy. I grew up watching and loving the movies with Sean Connery being my fave Bond and Timothy Dalton coming in a close second. I saw The Living Daylights again after missing it for a few years and I loved it all over again. It made me miss the fun, adventurous Bond with all the cool gadgets and those memorable themes. Not to mention the wild henchman (Necros was one of my faves but mainly because of awesomely yummy Andreas Wisniewski)

So how about you guys? Any other Bond fans out there??

Also, I'm not too keen on Daniel Craig as the new Bond (don't shoot me!) since he does nothing for me but I would LOVE to see Clive Owen as Bond. Talk about swooooon.

[image error]

message 2: by Mollie *scoutrmom* (last edited Aug 24, 2010 08:42PM) (new)

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments Sean Connery is pretty much a bad boy, if you know about his personal life. I liked him as Bond, but I find the entire series of movies fairly silly, (have you SEEN Octopussy?)

Anyone who hasn't read the original Ian Fleming books ought to do so, in my humble opinion.
His best book wasn't a spy novel at all, it was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming which is much much better than the Dick Van Dyke movie. See if your library has the older edition with the fudge recipe in the back, it's truly scrumptious.

You also might enjoy reading the book about the real-life person Fleming used as his model for Bond, it's Reilly: Ace of Spies which was made into a PBS series. A truly dangerous hero.

message 3: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments I'm all for the Daniel Craig ones, because he brought a total intensity to Bond.

My fave was the suave Pierce Brosnan, but agreed - Clive Owen would so rock the suit!

message 4: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 241 comments Agree on Clive Owen,

The Daniel Craig movies were a bit more grittier and relied less on gadgets and mre on more realistic ideas. This was all due to a certain other spy namely Bourne, Jason Bourne!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9694 comments Mod
I have to admit I have a serious crush on Daniel Craig. So far, he's my favorite Bond. I think Clive Owen would have made a scrumptious Bond.

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments I will always love Sean Connery, but I also love Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan. Haven't Daniel Craig as bond yet.

message 7: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee (zee_monodee) | 688 comments Yeah, Craig's persona was more in tun with Bourne than the typical ladies-man/gadgets Bond. Grittier but deeper too.

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) Sean Connery will always be my favourite James Bond followed by Pierce Brosnan.

message 9: by CaliGirlRae (last edited Aug 26, 2010 01:23AM) (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 274 comments Mollie wrote: "Sean Connery is pretty much a bad boy, if you know about his personal life. I liked him as Bond, but I find the entire series of movies fairly silly, (have you SEEN Octopussy?)

Anyone who hasn..."

Oooh yeah. Sean Connery as an actor I LOVE. As a person...not so much. He did rock that role in the early days though. :-D

Thanks for the recs! I have the series in my TBR pile and can't wait to get to them. I've heard the movies are considered an alternate universe Bond but it'll be fun to check out the differences and more details in the narrative versions.

Thanks for the heads up about the CCBB fudge recipe in the back. That makes me want to hunt for it even more! :-D

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Hyatt-James (sandyhyatt-james) Rae wrote: "Mollie wrote: "Sean Connery is pretty much a bad boy, if you know about his personal life. I liked him as Bond, but I find the entire series of movies fairly silly, (have you SEEN Octopussy?)

An..."

Yeah, Octopussy's stupid, and Sean Connery always wore a toupee, which put me off a treat! I do like Daniel Craig, though.

Parallel Triangle

message 11: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) | 1084 comments Mod
Sean Connery!! Then Pierce Brosnan for sure. I am not a Daniel Craig fan...he just doesn't do it for me.

Clive Owen could definitely rock it. He's what I like to call "a dude".