Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John | 20 comments Here's another "best seller" that everybody just HAS to read. Well, if you overlook the cliched writing style that emphasizes telling over showing, the boring characters, the fact that nothing interesting happens until you're halfway through the book, and that the main plot is resolved 100 pages before the end leaving the author to drag you through a forced and uninteresting resolution to a side story . . . you'd still be angry because the most interesting character in the book (Lisbeth Salander, she of the title) is absent for 75% of the prose! How is this the new standard in mystery excellence? I guess dying before publication helps to boost sales.

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 72 comments Two things to keep in mind.
1) Lisbeth Salander isn't the main character in the first book. She IS the main character in the two next books though. The title is vastly misleading in this regard.

Which brings me to...

2) The title - gah, I wish a better title had been found! It's misleading in so many ways. The book is not about dragons at all (as some people have assumed), the dragon tattoo is only mentioned once or twice in the entire book, it focuses on the wrong character, and it just has nothing to do with the book! The original title is "Män som hatar kvinnor", or directly translated, "Men Who Hate Women".

That said, I thought that TGwtDT was the weakest of the trilogy. I liked all of them, but found the two next a lot better.

message 3: by John (new)

John | 20 comments Well, Kiwiria, I'll keep that in mind, but the title is the least of my objections. Lisbeth is the (dare I say it) only sympathetic character in the story -- just about everyone else is either some level of dirtbag or unsympathetic to me. Then there's the amateurish writing . . . but I'll give the follow ups a look.

message 4: by Merc (new)

Merc (oswinssouffle) | 20 comments I doubt popular books because of Dan Brown. So, while I have this book on hold (1125 out of 1900) I am not expecting much from it.

Honestly, I stick with my first thoughts on this book. Well, I wouldn't call them thoughts. I saw the book, read the title and then walked away from it.

message 5: by Cobalt_Cin (new)

Cobalt_Cin | 23 comments I hate to always be picking on Laurell Hamilton but quite a few of her book titles are horrors. For example:

Swallowing Darkness - Merry Gentry Series - awful title, awful imagery.

Lick of Frost - Merry Gentry Series - same as above.

Skin Trade - Anite Blake Series. Yet again!

Hit List - Anite Blake Series. Not out yet, but will be her newest pile of rot.

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 72 comments Oh, I figured as much John. However, the title was the only place where I had an objective argument to make, as it has been changed in translation. Anything else would just be arguing opinions :)

That said, I've heard that the translation to English is really, really bad, so part of the fault of the amateurish writing may lie there as well. I've only ever read the Danish translations though, so I couldn't say.

message 7: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 38 comments I hated this book! I thought that perhaps the bad writing was due to poor translation but couldn't be sure. That wasn't the only problem, though. Totally agree with everything in JOhn's review. Why is everyone obsessed with this crap? I actually tried to read the second book because I thought maybe the trilogy improves, but after the preface which features a 13-year-old girl (Salander, I assumed) tied to a bed by a rapist kidnapper, I put it down and haven't picked it up again. Awful!

message 8: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 84 comments I liked this book way more than I should have although I fully realize this isn't outstanding literature. The digressions into the type of handheld Lisbeth uses. The ridiculous breakthrough in the case where Blomkvist's daughter realizes the random numbers he has found are references to Bible book/chapter/verse (NO one cites the Bible this way.) And Blomkvist's trouser-doffing effect on seemingly all women.

I think it's not the translation that is to blame for anything as I heard Henning Mankell on BBC World Book Club talking about how bad the books were.

message 9: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 79 comments I enjoyed this just enough to stay interested, but I loooooooved The Girl Who Played with Fire and the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest MUCH much more.

message 10: by Maudie (new)

Maudie (MaudieMac) | 3 comments Thank God it isn't just me that didn't care for TGWTDT. After listening to "You HAVE to read this!" and "Best Book I've read in Years!" recommendations, I was beginning to doubt that the same book I was "trying" to read was the same book they were heaping so much praise on. After a third go at it, I passed my copy along to a friend who is attempting to convince the world that it is somehow akin to Shakespeare.

message 11: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean This book was ok. But I agree that the title was misleading. I thought Lisbeth was the main character but she didn't really come in to the book until the middle of it. I was waiting for her the whole time which was what made me push through the book. I didn't hate this book. It was ok. I could of done without a few things like Lisbeth's rape and the psycho sadistic father and brother of the missing girl. Just ewww

message 12: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) I heard that the original book was a lot better than the English translation but since I don't know how to speak Swedish, I'll have to stick with the English version. Anyway, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was really tedious but the next 2 books in the series are much better!