Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Who is your favorite True Crime author?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifersternberg) | 16 comments I thought it would be interesting to see which authors everyone liked. I used to prefer Ann Rule, but recently I have discovered Gregg Olsen, M. William Phelps, and Diane Fanning. They each write the types of books I like to read full of juicy details.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (deegracie) | 1 comments My favourite is Ann Rule .. but most likely because I haven't read anything written by anyone else. lol

I am going to look up the authors you have mentioned ... Thanks for posting this discussion.

Dee

message 3: by Dero (new)

Dero | 36 comments Another great author is Jack Olsen.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tjohn33791) T.J. English gets my vote. I have yet to be disappointed.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Kathryn Casey, Gregg Olsen, M. William Phelps. Just discovered a new one: Glen Puit.

message 6: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) Has anyone read Harold Schechters books? I'm thinking he did the "Depraved" "Deranged," "Deviant" and some others. I have always wanted to try his but haven't yet.

message 7: by Alie (new)

Alie | 37 comments Kelsey wrote: "Has anyone read Harold Schechters books? I'm thinking he did the "Depraved" "Deranged," "Deviant" and some others. I have always wanted to try his but haven't yet."

Unfortunately, most true crime writers are not 'writers' per se and many of the books are poorly written(i.e., they aren't at all like In Cold Blood or Mailer's book on Gilmour, James Ellroy writing about his mom (?) the Black Dahlia, or even to a lesser extent Ann Rule - Small Sacrifices will make you cry, especially if you go on utube and do a diane downs search) . That said, doesn't mean that I don't read them anyway. Schechter chooses good cases but are poorly written so if you want juicy details w/o fully fleshed out (sic) story, they are a fine two hour read.

message 8: by Alie (new)

Alie | 37 comments The best true crime books I've read are In Cold Blood and The Executioners Song so Capote and Mailer are my favorites but they aren't prolific (ha ha) so I have to say that it is Sebastian Junger who wrote about the Boston Strangler and a Mormon case. His books are very well written with much back story so they work for someone like me who really likes to look at the whole picture of the community etc. I also really like Virginia McConnell who wrote about the SF Durrant case.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (chrstjoy) | 4 comments Koren wrote: "Kathryn Casey, Gregg Olsen, M. William Phelps. Just discovered a new one: Glen Puit."

I have read the book "Deviant". It is very well written, but if you like true crime such as Ann Rule (like me,) you would probably not like him. I thought it was really dry and it focuses more on the sociology aspect of the case than the actual case. Only about a chapter is given to the actual crime while hundreds of pages are given to the trial and the reaction of the town.

message 10: by S. (new)

S. K. | 2 comments Jack Olsen, hands down

message 11: by Micky (new)

Micky Lee (micky1964) | 12 comments Ann rule & mailer & olsen but ann comes 1st for me

message 12: by Cece (new)

Cece (cwrob5) | 4 comments Kelsey wrote: "Has anyone read Harold Schechters books? I'm thinking he did the "Depraved" "Deranged," "Deviant" and some others. I have always wanted to try his but haven't yet."

i am reading his a to z serial killers book right now.... alittle different but good. i wish he would of kept more to the actual people alittle bit. you know- mr.A did this crime. mr.A found guilty and went to prison for this amonut of years.
that kind of stuff

message 13: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) I have that book on my to Read list! Thanks Cece (and everyone else) that gave me some feedback! :)

message 14: by Dero (new)

Dero | 36 comments I have read "Deranged" but it was a long time ago. I remember that I liked the author and looked at some other of his books but he isn't my favorite. I like M. William Phelps and John Glatt. I used to really love Ann Rule but have not been in love with her last two books. I think the one that wasn't solved bothered me. I like to think that the bad guy didn't get away with it.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy (mommy_of_angels) | 28 comments Is that a good book Marge? I have it but I haven't read it yet.

message 16: by Alie (new)

Alie | 37 comments Marge wrote: "I think Truman Capote is the best true crime author, and he only wrote "In Cold Blood." I once read that he was describing the murderers as being murdered "in cold blood," which shocked me. The p..."

I agree but ya know, general word is that Capote had an affair with Perry Smith while writing the book and then was impatient when the appeals went on because he couldn't publish until they were put to death. When I first read the book and was unaware of that, it had alot more impact. Later, when I reread with that knowledge, it just creeped me out. Turns out Capote used everyone from the lowest (Perry would probably fit that bill) to the highest (ladies that lunch) but I have some sympathy for Perry because he seems to have had a generally awful life.

message 17: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3390 comments Mod
My favorite hands down is Peter Maas. Maybe because my first TC was Serpico, but when you think about it, if it hadn't been so good, would I have stuck with the genre?

message 18: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 576 comments Alie wrote: "Marge wrote: "I think Truman Capote is the best true crime author, and he only wrote "In Cold Blood." I once read that he was describing the murderers as being murdered "in cold blood," which shock..."
I agree with you on several of the points you made. Truman Capote got me hooked on true crime eons ago.

message 19: by Fishface (last edited Jan 09, 2017 11:30AM) (new)

Fishface | 12709 comments I am struggling to pick out a favorite. So many have written only one book! But here are some faves:

Vincent Bugliosi
Molly Lefebure
Truman Capote
Gregg Olsen
Jack Olsen
Linda Wolfe

People think Capote and Smith had an affair??? That's a little hard to pull off when you aren't even allowed to meet privately. I agree he wasn't very objective about Perry, but an affair?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.