Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
This topic is about Mockingjay
The Hunger Game Discussions > Mockingjay (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Anyone reading this book yet?

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Yes! on about page 150. Will make myself scarce until I finish it. I don't want to read any spoilers.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments I just picked it up I love my library i got it on the same day that it was released and i was like number 70 on the wait list. I have read chapter one but i am taking my time. :)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) And, it's not Mockingbird (a la To Kill a Mockingbird, but Mockingjay, named after a fictional bird. I'm about 1/2 through. If I'd read all day I could have been through tonight but took breaks. Plan to finish tomorrow.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments hahah thats a easy mistake I didnt even realize it said Mockingbird instead of Mockingjay. oh wellz! we all know what was ment :).

Kara (kara_writes) hehe I'm reading it at the moment :) :)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Oh, no worries. Definitely I think that almost everybody will know which book we're discussing. I'm 2/3 the way through. I'll read the last 1/3 tomorrow. Finally!!!

message 8: by Brenda (last edited Aug 25, 2010 05:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments I started it late last night (a mistake) and am only about a third of the way through. Am making myself go to work today at the library without it. If I would have brought the book, I know without a doubt someone would snatch it.

I have two books that I purchased from Walmart for the library students and am praying that my pre-orders arrive really soon as the waiting list is already HUGE!

Inkwaves I'm done! It was really good, just a bit slow in the beginning. :)

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I'm done too. I was satisfied. It was a tense read!

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

OH hahaha... you can tell I am reading To Kill A Mockingbird for this month's group read!

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Angie wrote: "OH hahaha... you can tell I am reading To Kill A Mockingbird for this month's group read!"

;-) hee hee

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments Finished late last night. I agree that it was a bit slow in the beginning but I felt the other two were the same way. I knew that it wouldn't be long before the action would start up.

I can't say that I loved the ending but I liked it. Nice that the author kept it somewhat real in that it wasn't all roses at the end (literally). I liked how the author showed that everything that happened affected Katniss deeply and for the rest of her life.

Sophia McCutchen (ireaduread) | 1 comments I LOVE THIS BOOK! Im on Mockingjay now, just started :)

message 15: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara Stayed up way to late to finish. I loved the book too. It was a departure from the formula of the the first two books, but I loved how complicated her relationships with Gale and Peeta became.
***Spolier***
It was a bit hard for me to see how much Gale changed throughout the book. I have always wanted her to be with Peeta, but it was sad to see how her and Gale ended up...So much history lost.

Mahina Finished this on Thursday - le sigh - I wish it wasn't over! I loved the book, even though I was hoping it would be longer.

*************************SPOILER**********************

I was also hoping for more romance despite the grim plot. This one was so much darker in tone than the other two. The darkness makes it much more realistic (despite they dystopic setting) because you are seeing the casualties of war - both in the loss of lives and in the aftermath. I hate that so many important people die - Cinna, Finnick, Prim - I think I was most saddened by Finnick and Prim. It's been my hope from the first book that in the end she and Prim would make it through and grow old together. It feels a little like Collins had her fated to die and just delayed it until the end.

I was really hoping for more at the end. Her and Peeta coming together finally was just too brief for my tasted. I wanted more than a line or two - at least a chapter! Despite that, I was pleased that Katniss got a happy ending.

Antonia | 8 comments I'm so glad that all the comments about mockingjay are good. I can't wait to get it. Tomorrow I'm going to buy the book. I loved the first two because so I hope Mockingjay is just as good or better.

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Antonia, Well, I loved it and most seem to love it, but I've also seen quite a few 2 and even 1 star ratings and at least one of my GR friends was disappointed and gave it 2 and 3 stars only. I hope that you like it. It's very intense!

Antonia | 8 comments Lisa, Would you say that Mockingjay has been your least favourite out of all the books?

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Antonia wrote: "Lisa, Would you say that Mockingjay has been your least favourite out of all the books?"

No, but that's partly because I consider it all one story.

Antonia, and All, How do you feel?

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I was a bit disappointed myself. I gave it 4 stars, because it IS part of the Hunger Games after all. But it was definitely my least favorite book. I felt like Katniss just wasn't written as strongly as before. I understand she had some injuries, but when has that ever stopped her? I don't know. Just not my favorite.

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Well, and to be completely honest, I almost gave this 4 and not 5 stars. But, the more I think about it, the more I admire what Collins did with it. The first book remains my favorite. But when I look at the whole arc of the story books 1-3, I just love it, and it's a 5 star story for me.

message 23: by Kara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (kara_writes) yeah, Same, I agree

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments I have to agree with you Lisa. The more I think about the book, and especially Katniss, the more I like it. Katniss at the beginning comes off a little too whiny when I first started to read it.....but then I came to the fact that of course she is whiny....she has just had her life dramatically changed/altered not once but twice, people that she loved has been killed, her whole village was wiped out and she is living with tons of guilt.....so yeah....it makes sense for her to be feeling the way she does.....and yeah....sometimes you just want to quit and let someone else handle it...

message 25: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Brenda, Exactly. If she'd been "fine" I'd have thought it was so unrealistic. She ended up being braver in every way than I could ever be.

Hweeps Mahina, yeah, right?! It was such an irony that

*SPOILER*******************************
Katniss volunteered to take Prim's place, went through SO much just to see Prim killed in the end, all the same.

It's actually a pretty nice touch though... If it was just all happily ever after.. I think I'd be touched but after a while, kinda scorn at it.. I agree with Lisa.

Great great GREAT series all the same. Had me crying on and on.

message 27: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments For me, I think the last book, Mockingjay, was the best in the trilogy. This will be a story that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

My husband TJ read Mockingjay before I did, and I asked him, "Was it a happy ending?" What I wanted was for Peeta and Katniss to be together. I was so worried about that.

TJ hemmed and hawed and finally said, "It was the right ending." And having finished it (last night at 3 in the morning), I have to agree. From who she ends up with to the deaths at the end to the struggles and the destruction and the final decision on who to execute, everything...

Laura | 3 comments *****Spoilers*****
It was the darkest of her books and so depressing in the end.....Prim and Finnick dying was so sad...especially Prim....so why were we cheated on the happy part.. I waited for her to be with Peeta for three books and we did not even get a chapter of their happines.....I will miss Katniss Everdeen...do you think there will be anymore???

Courtney (cklueh) I don't think there will be anymore. The ending was just perfect. It was final, this is what happens. Not many series end like that. The pacing and dark, dangerous feel of the book took up where the other books left off. Katniss grows into a woman and a leader. It goes right along with the other two books. The stakes keep getting higher, but the reward gets bigger too. First, Katniss had to fight an arena full of tributes. Second, she had to fight an arena full of the winners. Then, she has to face all of Panem, which becomes the ultimate arena.

I agree with PP, this is just one big story broken into three parts. As a series, it is just perfect.

message 30: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments The only way that Katniss could come back is if Panem faces a new threat. This would be a new story with old characters.

message 31: by Lani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lani (crahfty) I thought the ending was perfect.

*******SPOILER********(Mockingjay)

I don't mind using my imagination to fill in the blanks of Peeta and Katniss' relationship. I really enjoyed that Peeta saw Katniss for who she really was and still fell back in love with her. That warmed my heart...

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Laura, I am fairly certain that there won't be any more Hunger Games books. First, the main characters are all grown-ups at the end of MJ. And second, Collins is just not the type of writer to milk her series for all it's worth. In my mind Katniss' story is complete. I don't want her to suffer any more.

BTW, I thought the ending was perfect too. Not HEA perfect, but realistically perfect.

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments Tatiana: I completely agree with your assessment. Collins also wrote the Gregor the Overlander series and she is quoted as saying how sometimes it is best to stop the series as a certain point and move on to something else. What I love about her as an author is how she can completely change the genre and come up with something new than her other works.

Laura | 3 comments Well I guess I agree with all of you and look forward to her next series.....

Jason (foreverjuly) I too thought the ending was pretty definitive, whether or not you liked it. I think it's one of those things where it worked if you were into Mockingjay all the way through and didn't if you weren't. It makes sense for them to be together and left alone if that's what you thought was the solution through their entire ordeal. It's a little harder to swallow her abrupt exit from the limelight if you feel like after losing so much she's invested in doing something to change the world.

You can read more about my thoughts on my blog: "What Makes The Hunger Games So Amazing?" and "Mockingjay or Putting the Point in Disappointment." www.powerlessbooks.com/blog

Lacey | 12 comments I know a lot of people were disappointed with the ending to this series. I have to say thankfully I am not one of them. I enjoyed every bit of this series and it ended at least romantically in the most logical spot I would have hoped it to. I think these books are some of the best YA novels is awhile. They are well written and make people think. It should remind everyone how nice freedom is and why it is worth fighting for. I loved all the messages of the book and I hope that others in years to come with also love and enjoy these books as well!

message 37: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I want to read this book soooo bad! The library just needs to give it to me!

message 38: by Cortney (last edited Sep 27, 2010 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cortney | 37 comments OK. I just finished Mocking Jay and I absolutely love it! I was nervous that most of the book would be spent in frustration as Katniss tried everything she could to get back to Peeta and save him and I am SOOO glad that isn't how it went down.

********************SPOILER*************************

I knew one thing through most of the book- Katniss would kill Coin. As soon as she found her prep team in the "dungeon" it was obvious that there were some serious similarities between the capitol and 13 that couldn't be ignored. I kept expecting Katniss to find out more about the dark side of 13. I guess she did and it just didn't come right out and name it- Drugging patients to borderline addiction, making sure Katniss didn't know very much about what was going on, publicly making her look like a possible turn coat, another hunger games,etc.

I read someone's comment that they were frustrated Katniss was inactive for so much of the book and let herself be used by both sides. Now that I have read the book I think she acted how I would expect someone to act who had been through these things at such a young age. Crushed, empty, haunted, largely unreachable.

One last thing-- I love how Collins ended it with Gale and Katniss. I thought he was going to get killed... on the mission to get Peeta, when he got hurt and Kat's mom "was busy with a major surgery" but it didn't mention for who, or when he was captured. I love that it wasn't just one of those- She is in love with two men and has to choose one.oh, it's the last chapter and btw Katniss chooses Peeta.
This has been coming for a while. They grow apart. Still friends because of their deep roots but have completely different thoughts on lots of things. It is even thought out by Kat... 'Would I have ended up with Gale if I hadn't gone to the Hunger Games? No, because he is full of fire, and I have enough fire on my own. I need the dandelion in spring- Peeta, to level me out. '
Couldn't have ended better.

message 39: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments Cortney, I loved your comments. So many people were dissatisfied with the ending, but I loved how it all turned out.

Cortney | 37 comments Rita, thanks. To me the ending was realistic. That's why I liked it. Yea, maybe her and Gale had something, but a guy doesn't just wait around forever to find out if he gets chosen or not. People move on, and I think that's why I wasn't mad that Gale went to another district and let Katniss have her space.

Lost.in.a.Book (lostinabooktdavis) | 3 comments I absolutely loved this book/trilogy! I love how deep it was, and that every little thing effected something else withing the story line! I do have to say that I felt a little bad for Gale at the end! And I soooo did not see Prim Dying! ugh!

message 42: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Starting this book today!!

Julia | 432 comments I finished this 9/6/10, but I'm only today looking at this topic. I really liked the book. I thought the ending was perfect. It was what needed to happen. It was brutal, but that's what the story, the culture, the revolution demanded. The ending couldn't have been any happier, because of circumstances.

message 44: by Kara (new)

Kara Huffman (freelance-organic-whales) ****SPOILER******
Honestly? I felt it strayed a bit from the original feel. I'm not sure I liked or hated it particularly. But, I agree with the idea that it should have been darker than the previous books (it was), but I guess I wasn't prepared for it when I read the book. I hated how she ended it though. There wasn't enough substance to it. I felt like she pulled what Mark Twain did with The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn- coming up with an ending because it was required. It needed more. I'm not asking for a classic happy ending, but I found it lacking. Overall, though, the book satisfies.

Yvonne (The Shadow Realm) (vonnie20) I just finished it last night and I loved it! I was nearly crying most of the way through...poor Prim! :(
I thought the ending was perfect. It didn't give off a happily ever after feel (even though she did end up with Peeta)cause Katniss is still haunted by nightmares of everything even after 20 years. I'm so sad that's it's over. I just want to start reading it all over again.

message 46: by Suzi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzi (SuziD) | 4 comments I was SO disappointed with the ending of Mockingjay. It took me a few days to come to terms with it and release that really, this was the only way the story could have ended. The more I thought about it though, the happier I was with the ending. I wound up re-reading the entire Hunger Games series, knowing where it was heading and able to appreciate other elements of the plot more the second time around. Upon reading Mockingjay again, I actually enjoyed the ending! Strange how the mind sometimes works.
Overall though, I have to say that any ending that gets under my skin this much (I really was thinking about it for days afterwards) is a good ending.

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Suzi, I think many readers reacted to Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) the way you did. It was a very hard book to read, not bad. It gave me personally a lot of anxiety, but I didn't mistake it for disappointment, like many readers did. I believe if people give this book another try, they will enjoy it more.

message 48: by Suzi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzi (SuziD) | 4 comments Tatiana wrote: "Suzi, I think many readers reacted to Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) the way you did. It was a very hard book to read, not bad. It gave me personally a lot of anxiety, but I didn't mi..."

I agree - that's exactly what I found. The first time I read the series, my main interest was in the love triangle between Peeta-Katniss-Gale, so I think that's why I was so unsatisfied with how Mockingjay ended - it wasn't the ending I felt like it had been building towards. Upon re-reading though, I focused in more on the other (and ultimately, perhaps the more important) aspects of the plot, and that allowed me to more fully enjoy what Collins' was trying (and succeeded)to accomplish.

Colby (colbz) I finished Mockingjay days ago, and the ending is still making me think. That is a good thing. At first, I was unsatisfied. But now I realize that it was not what I had suspected, and that bothered me. When you think about it, though, it is beautiful. Because what Coin wanted to do, what Katniss agreed to, was evil. And if the books had not ended exactly as they did, evil would have continued.

Cortney | 37 comments The thing about Katniss agreeing to Coin, I think it was a plan. Maybe not a pre-meditated plan by Katnisss... maybe it was even just that she felt SOO powerless to stop what seemed to be a never-ending cycle of killing... but I think Katniss never really planned to go along with it.

« previous 1