AP Chiefs discussion

Morals

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kallie (new)

Kallie | 11 comments I think part of the reason Peekay wasn't influenced by racist opinions was because the ones who showed him racism, prejudice, and hatred were the people he resented himself. For example, the Judge was hateful and prejudice, but he was hateful and prejudice against Peekay. Peekay knew what it was like to be on the other side of ridicule. Therefore, he didn't judge people. Also, I think it is good that Peekay didn't bond with his mother. Her dedication to religion was corrupt. She was just as prejudice as the others. Her heart wasn't pure; it was confused and desperate for belonging. Peekay is a truly good person. The people who mentored him had pure hearts and they taught him moral reasoning.

message 2: by Jake (new)

Jake Dragonetti (jakedragonetti) | 9 comments I have to agree with you on this, except for one portion. Not every one of his mentors were innocent of moral misgivings. Hoppie is clearly shown as harboring ill feelings toward people of color, which was seen when he took Peekay to get new tackies at Patel & Son. He showed no respect for them and stereotyped them. But overall, I agree with the reasoning that Peekay is not racist because of the people in his life's effect on him. Geel Piet and Doc both were persecuted as well, and can be seen as positive influences on Peekay's morals, while The Judge was clearly bigoted and helped to make Peekay even more understanding of differences in people.

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt Ripkey | 7 comments I agree with you, Jake. However, also remember that Peekay's biggest childhood influence was Nanny, a person of color. Early childhood is the point at which I beieve his basic morals were shaped, and his experiences early in the book with Inkosi-Inkosikazi and other natives may have showed Peekay that they are all the same people. Peekay respected Inkosi-Inkosikazi for his beliefs. This is a signal to me that he was brought up more open-minded than his peers.

message 4: by Yenifer (new)

Yenifer | 12 comments Peekay had always loved his Nanny (I believe more than anyone in is childhood). At the beginning of the book when he had to go to boarding school and he was in the "slaughterhouse", he thought about praying to Nanny not to God (pg 4). Throughout his boarding school terms he only dreamt of getting back to her. When returning and discovering that his mother had sent her back to Zululand because of her new found religion, he said, "the Lord is a shithead," again showing his love for his Nanny is greater than God or religion.

Most people that touched Peekay did not hate, or the contrast the Judge was hate. Peekay seeing both sides night/day, and his love for Nanny (others hated just because of her being a kaffier) it seems to shape his morals. His Nanny was his "mom"; she was his comfort as was the kaffier chicken he loved much.