Metafilter discussion

What is everyone reading this week?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 10 comments I've read Mary Karr's The Liars Club and Cherry and am in the midst of Lit. So much of it recalls my childhood.

message 3: by Lisamarie (new)

Lisamarie | 3 comments The brand new Scarlett Thomas, _Our Tragic Universe_. LOVE HER!

message 4: by Yousef (new)

Yousef (malapropist) | 1 comments I just finished Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer and Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, and I'm halfway through Ficciones by Borges but I've put it down for now. I think I'm going to start reading Generation X by Douglas Coupland, because I really enjoyed his Microserfs.

Natalie, did you enjoy that Murakami book? I've heard good things about him but I've also heard his books are overrated. I was thinking of buying a copy of one of his books because none of them are available on paperbackswap.com.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (chatongriffes) | 6 comments I just finished Android Karenina--by the same people who did Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It was better than P&P&Z, I thought, because it wasn't an exact facsimile of the story with some weird stuff thrown in. Though it was parallel to the real Anna Karenina down to the paragraph level, the setting was changed to an Orwellian dystopian future and there were some subplots dependent on that. It was different enough from the original that I actually finished it to see what would happen.

I think the rest of my reading this week will be to finish One Drop by Bliss Broyard. It's memoir interwoven with history, so it's taking me longer than outerspace robots.

message 6: by Ohenrypacey (new)

Ohenrypacey | 13 comments I'm reading Lowboy. Very quick read.

message 7: by Rob (new)

Rob (kanata) | 19 comments I'm reading Paul Is Undead. The British music invasion if John Lennon became a zombie shortly after birth and the resulting consequences.

message 8: by Greg (new)

Greg Erskine (gregnog) | 20 comments I'm reading Perfume. Great so far, though I'm only about 40 pages in. It was recommended to me by my ladyfriend, who was like, "It's about a guy who smells things and kills people!" I was sold!

message 9: by Joe (new)

Joe | 2 comments Nowadays, I'm reading Randy Wayne White's 'Dark Light,' Isa Chandra Moskowitz' brunch book and a couple '80s Diagram Group books about natural history.

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg Erskine (gregnog) | 20 comments What's the brunch book like?

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (metafiltersbrwife) | 36 comments I'm reading The Name of the Wind, The Kingkiller Chronicles, Day One, and listening to A Clash of Kings. And now and then I read a little more of Faithful Place. I guess I have an ADHD approach to my reading.

message 12: by Ohenrypacey (new)

Ohenrypacey | 13 comments I'm reading the Secret Knowledge of Water by Craig Childs, it's beautiful.

message 13: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 10 comments For the last month or so I've been reading a whole bunch of fairly entertaining crap given to me by my mum over the last year or so. After I get through it all and donate it, I'll go back to getting stuff from the library.

message 14: by Jill Heather (new)

Jill Heather (jillheather) | 3 comments I am reading Elizabeth I by Margaret George (which I am really enjoying), the Traitor to the Throne books by CC Finlay, and trying to get into China Mieville's Embassytown.

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg Erskine (gregnog) | 20 comments I'm about halfway through Game of Thrones, and I think I'm gonna give it up; I just finished Season One of the TV series, and I greatly prefer the visuals of the TV show to the prose of the book. So! I'm thinking I may finally give Murakami a try, as I've never read anything by him and constantly feel like I was supposed to at some point.

message 16: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (metafiltersbrwife) | 36 comments Greg, you might want to try Game of Thrones in audio form. I'm listening to the next book in the series, Clash of Kings, with Roy Dotrice narrating. That's how I "read" Book I of the series, too, and I think it may be the best of both worlds, because you get the dramatic performance aspect of the TV series via Dotrice's voicing of the characters, and the book subtleties about what everyone is thinking and back plots.

message 17: by Bitteroldpunk (new)

Bitteroldpunk | 2 comments Thanks to the recent MetaFilter thread, I'm now reading Josephine Tey's "The Franchise Affair". At the same time, I'm reading the latest Mira Grant zombie thrilled, "Deadline", which is proving to be, well, less than satisfying. Not bad, but not as gripping as the first book. Needs moar zombies!

message 18: by Lisamarie (new)

Lisamarie | 3 comments I'm on a Megan Abbott kick, just read "The End of Everything" and "The Song Is You" and now have "Die a Little" on order from the library.

message 19: by Greg (new)

Greg Erskine (gregnog) | 20 comments Ditched Game Of Thrones, figured I'd take a break from novels, so now alternating between the short stories in Gary Lutz's "Stories In The Worst Way" and the 2007 Best American Essays collection.

message 20: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (metafiltersbrwife) | 36 comments I finished Kingkiller Chronicles, Day One and am now zipping through Tina Fey's Bossypants, which is consistently cracking me up.

message 21: by Ohenrypacey (new)

Ohenrypacey | 13 comments I am breezing through "the Atlas of Remote Islands", dreaming of solitude.

message 22: by Joann (last edited Jul 17, 2011 05:37PM) (new)

Joann (joann_l) | 7 comments Atlas of Remote Islands!, now that sounds wonderful. I love maps, history and geography. I just finished "At Home" by Bill Bryson and loved it! The subtitle is A Short History of of Private Life, and from the foyer, down the hall and up the stairs to the attic it's fascinating. Also finished listening to The Monster of Florence, which was uneven but interesting. In the midst of 2 of the Great Courses series, The Joy of Science (part IV) and No Excuses-Existentalism and the Meaning of life (part II). I just love the Great Courses. About to switch to fiction and start Pharmakon then 'All We Ever Wanted Was Everything', which was recommended, then Freedom, by Jonathan Franzen, and the audio of Orlando. Barbara Rosenblatt is the reader, so I'm looking forward to this 'reread'. I have severe insomnia, and probably ADHD too although I never thought about that. How do you know?

message 23: by Rob (last edited Jul 18, 2011 10:03AM) (new)

Rob (kanata) | 19 comments I'm slowly working my way through the latest G.R.R. Martin book "A Dance With Dragons". I devoured the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire series in like three weeks but seem to find this one slow going.

message 24: by Joann (new)

Joann (joann_l) | 7 comments I often seem to have trouble with series fiction. I just can't seem to sustain interest.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellemoon) | 1 comments I'm on a New England reading frenzy sparked by the class I took last fall. Just finished "The Scarlet Letter" (need to review that) and am now in the midst of "American Bloomsbury."

message 27: by philipy (new)

philipy | 30 comments I'm re-reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It's an old favorite though a long time since I last read it.

message 28: by Dinesh (new)

Dinesh Rao | 4 comments I just finished Anna Pavord's The Naming of Names (a book about the history of botanical taxonomy), and will probably continue to read Russel Hoban's Kleinzeit

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I'm reading The Night Circus - fun so far.

message 30: by stephanie (new)

stephanie (sucktastic) | 1 comments I'm reading the complete Sherlock Holmes stories, which I can't believe I haven't read before now!

message 31: by philipy (new)

philipy | 30 comments stephanie wrote: "I'm reading the complete Sherlock Holmes stories, which I can't believe I haven't read before now!"

You lucky person! :)

message 32: by Ohenrypacey (new)

Ohenrypacey | 13 comments The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean . pop science about the history of the periodic table.

message 33: by Mr Grimm (new)

Mr Grimm | 14 comments I've got about 25 pages left (thought I might finish this morning before work) in 1Q84. (No one else?) For some reason, it's strongly reminding me of Infinite Jest for some reason I'm not sure of--probably the ghost dad. Very, very different styles and approaches, but there is a similarity in soul.

Also, it's got Carl Jung all over the places, so I wasn't surprised to see him make a literal entrance near the end. Highly recommended (barring a collapse in the final 25 pages), though I can't see a satisfying ending coming (much like IJ ...)

I'm obviously desperate to talk about it with someone, but I haven't found anyone reading it yet!

>> I'm thinking I may finally give Murakami a try, as I've never read anything by him and constantly feel like I was supposed to at some point.

DO IT. Though I wouldn't recommend 1Q84 as a starting point. It's been a lot slower than I expected, not that it's nearly as dense as the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

My2c: To start, try Hard-Boiled Wonderland or A Wild Sheep Chase (maybe those are just my 2 faves ;)

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  | 13 comments I've been trying to get through Stephenson's "Quicksilver" for ages but I've put it on hold to read some Terry Pratchett.

message 35: by Greg (new)

Greg Erskine (gregnog) | 20 comments For some reason, it's strongly reminding me of Infinite Jest for some reason I'm not sure of--probably the ghost dad.

I know I'm always recommending Bill Cosby's "Ghost Dad" to folks who loved Infinite Jest!

I'm reading David Graeber's Debt right now. I'd originally thought about reading it when dude's interviews were on mefi, but never got around to it. Then a bunch of people started mentioning it on twitter, and I was like, "Uh oh, what if I don't get their Graeber-related bon mots? Better read it to keep up with the zeitgeist!"

It's pretty great!

message 36: by Dave (new)

Dave | 2 comments I'm reading Tun-Huang by Yasushi Inoue. It's a strange book, to me -- a historical fiction that seeks to explain the mystery of Buddhist scriptures found in caves in Western China.

message 37: by Catherine (last edited Mar 06, 2012 10:27AM) (new)

Catherine (metafiltersbrwife) | 36 comments Still reading Everything is Illuminated to get set for Metachat discussion next week. I think Foer is talented but the book is flawed in many respects. I'm looking forward to picking up his nonfiction Eating Animals, which looks great. I'm listening to Under the Dome, which is gory and scary and great so far. Stephen King is one of my favorite light authors.

message 38: by Jon (new)

Jon (introp) | 1 comments Uncorking the Past: The Quest for Wine, Beer, and Other Alcoholic Beverages, which although a little dry, is a pretty good walk through the ancient human relationship with alcoholic beverages. He's known for doing chemical analysis of residues left in ancient pot shards and trying to determine from the remaining chemicals what sorts of brews were stored in the pots and how they might've been made.

message 39: by Chana (new)

Chana Oh, this is fun! I'm reading Hope: A Tragedy by Shalom Auslander, my first novel in a long time. It is snort-the-milk-through-your-nose hilarious. People who went to Hebrew school and made to feel personally responsible for preventing future Holocausts will especially enjoy it, I think.

message 40: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (metafiltersbrwife) | 36 comments Thanks, Cindy. That sounds great and is going in my "to read" list.

message 41: by Maisie (new)

Maisie | 1 comments The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta.

message 42: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (brooklynpisces) | 2 comments Cindy, that's among the next 2 or 3 books I'll be reading. Glad to hear you're enjoying it, I really like his writing.

I'm about halfway through Cold Comfort Farm which is thoroughly enjoyable, a parody of early 20th century British farm life and society.

message 43: by Jill Heather (new)

Jill Heather (jillheather) | 3 comments I liked but did not love Hope: A Tragedy. I think I had built it up in my head. I'm reading some combination of the sixth Simon Serrailler novel, the next Naomi Novik and the new Seanan McGuire series. (I just finished After the Golden Age and am not sure what I am in the mood for, but those are my next three.)

message 44: by Smn (new)

Smn (smni) | 1 comments Halfway through The Rook. Fantasy/supernatural. Very good so far, I predict I'll be giving this four or five stars.

message 45: by Lorinn (last edited Mar 07, 2012 06:42AM) (new)

Lorinn | 1 comments Rot & Ruin, and so far I like it more than Feed, by Mira Grant.

message 46: by Jon (new)

Jon | 3 comments I finished Iain M. Banks' Surface Detail last night. am struggling to complete Everything is Illuminated for next week's books club chat. I'm enjoying it less than I thought I would. Slowly plowing through McCullough's Truman. And am reading Tina Fey's Bossypants when I get bored with all the others.

message 47: by Jon (new)

Jon | 3 comments Cindy, thanks for that description! Definitely going to put it on my to-read list. :)

message 48: by Paul (new)

Paul (prbartel) | 2 comments Just started in on Peter Robinson's Aftermath; I'm seem to be on a binge of crime fiction at the moment.

message 49: by M (new)

M (bibliogeekgirl) | 3 comments I am reading Mudbound for a local book club, but to be honest I only read the jacket. :) The real book reading will start tonight.

My personal read is Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd. There are some really enjoyable geeky stories included and most a very fast reading. I haven't gotten enough sleep all week since it is my bedtime book.

message 50: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (metafiltersbrwife) | 36 comments I'm not really thrilled with Everything is Illuminated either, Jon. It is over the top satire of Jewish magical realism when it covers shtetl life. (I do love the language of the narrator, though, and some of the book is very funny, though in an a la Adam Sandler way.) I am looking forward to finding out what Professor Hungerford had to say about it.

« previous 1