Amazon Kindle discussion

How Many Sample Books on Your Kindle?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bakari (new)

Bakari | 22 comments I just blogged (http://allaboutereading.com/?p=20) about joys of sample chapters from the Kindle store and other services. I’m curious how much others are downloading sample books. About 95% of the books on my iPad Kindle are sample books.

message 2: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Chase | 3 comments Your link is broken.

Do you mean how many people are downloading sample chapters? For me it depends on price. The cheaper it is, the less I sample. As it approaches $10 or so, I'll sample carefully.

J.R. Chase
Author of the myster thriller Chicago Squeeze

message 3: by Bakari (new)

Bakari | 22 comments Yeah, I’m talking about sample chapters, which are free to download. Downloading sample chapters has actually kept me from purchasing books because I discovered the books where were not quite what I thought they would be.

message 4: by Redvolution (new)

Redvolution | 17 comments i sample every book prior to purchase and have a sample fiction and sample non-fiction collection. i have about 40 samples on my DX now.

message 5: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments I'm with J.R. - if it's under 3 or 4 bucks, I buy it. If not, I sample. I think I have somewhere around fifty samples on my kindle at the moment.

message 6: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I just started grabbing samples of books recently. They are usually for books that are $9.99. As of now, I have about 7. I am beginnng to think it is easier than creating a wish list.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments i'm with vanessa. if i see a book i read the sample first before deciding if its a good read. freebees 4 moms is always posting free kindle books, and that is how i have obtained most of mine, i dont think i have actually bought a book from kindle yet.

message 8: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I probably have about 130 or so samples on my KDXG. I use them more for placeholders than actual samples a lot of the time. I learned from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that the sample may not reflect the overall book. I probably wouldn't have read it based on the sample, in fact.

I think I may have bought two, maybe three books after finishing the samples so far.

A lot of what I buy I know I want and just buy it, and deal with my regrets later.

The samples I've read of a couple of Haruki Murakami's books don't really engage me, but I've heard he's awesome. I might eventually buy a whole book, but for right now I'm more than occupied with my existing content.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (zaratyst) | 3 comments I was using sample chapters as a kind of "wish list" when amazon wasn't letting us put mp3's or kindle books on our regular wish lists. Now that I can do that, I only sample rarely, read it, and then either buy it right away, or delete it.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments i only have 4 and i just added them...the brothers kamarazov; anna karenina; les mis and the count of monte christo...trying to decide which one i want to read for a big books challenge

message 11: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 42 comments I have 129 samples on my Kindle right now -- it's terrible, it would take longer to read them all to read a novel, I think! After I read them, I save them if they were intriguing at all so I can remember what I might want to buy in the future.

message 12: by Bakari (new)

Bakari | 22 comments Stephanie wrote: "i'm with vanessa. if i see a book i read the sample first before deciding if its a good read. freebees 4 moms is always posting free kindle books, and that is how i have obtained most of mine, i do..."

Stephanie, thanks for sharing this. I’ll check it out. Maybe write about it on my blog. Free is always good.

message 13: by Bakari (new)

Bakari | 22 comments I largely download and keep samples as a way to keep within my book buying budget. With the sample books on Kindle for the iPad, I don’t feel a need to buy a book until I actually have time to read it.

message 14: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "i only have 4 and i just added them...the brothers kamarazov; anna karenina; les mis and the count of monte christo...trying to decide which one i want to read for a big books challenge"

Why sample?

Les Miserables and Brothers Karamozov are around $1, Count of Monte Cristo and Anna Karenina are freebies.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments because i've had bad experiences with the cheap versions, so i'm actually going to pay the money for a good translation...the problem with the 99 cent ones...since they are in public domain is that anyone can take the book, turn it into text and sell it...i'd prefer to pay a bit more for a good translation

stormhawk wrote: "Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "i only have 4 and i just added them...the brothers kamarazov; anna karenina; les mis and the count of monte christo...trying to decide which one i want to read f..."

message 16: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments You don't necessarily get a better version by paying more.

message 17: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 25 comments I don't have any samples, yet. So far, I have been getting freebies or buying books that I know I really want. If there comes a time when I am not sure I want a book then I will get the sample first.

message 18: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (syar) | 142 comments I have about 15 samples on my kindle, I kind of keep them as reminders of things to be as I can get caught up in the idea of a book really quickly and so i'll sample it and if its any good then i'll buy it. I have brought quite a few books straight off if I know I will like it or really do want to read it though

I have actually been put off reading a book on the kindle based on the formatting in the sample. Might be stupid reason but I don't like it when they use unusual fonts or italicizes the text.

message 19: by Bakari (new)

Bakari | 22 comments stormhawk wrote: "Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "i only have 4 and i just added them...the brothers kamarazov; anna karenina; les mis and the count of monte christo...trying to decide which one i want to read f..."

I agree. You can typically find these kinds of classics for under $3.00. Nearly all my samples are pretty new books.

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments whatever you want if yoru choice, but for me when it comes to reading the Russians I want a good translation...and the ones I was recommended by someone who speaks russian and has read them are the ones I have listed...if the cheap ones had who did the translations listed then I might consider them, but they don't

stormhawk wrote: "You don't necessarily get a better version by paying more."

message 21: by Bakari (new)

Bakari | 22 comments The issue about translation is a very good point. Free or even paid classic books could be poorly translated, so it’s important to see who the translator(s) is. But that’s another good reason to download samples to get a taste of how the book is written before you buy.

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments admitedly...if i knew who the translators were on the cheap ones i might go with them, but they don't...even PG didn't from what I saw...besides 7.99 still isn't that bad for a 800 page book...

Bakari wrote: "The issue about translation is a very good point. Free or even paid classic books could be poorly translated, so it’s important to see who the translator(s) is. But that’s another good reason to do..."

message 23: by Raggedyann (new)

Raggedyann | 35 comments Bakari wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "i'm with vanessa. if i see a book i read the sample first before deciding if its a good read. freebees 4 moms is always posting free kindle books, and that is how i have obtained ..."

Freebees for moms? Who, what, where?

message 24: by Bakari (new)

Bakari | 22 comments Raggedyann wrote: "Bakari wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "i'm with vanessa. if i see a book i read the sample first before deciding if its a good read. freebees 4 moms is always posting free kindle books, and that is how i..."

Raggedyann, I believe this is the link to the site: http://freebies4mom.com/. I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet.

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments They are pretty neat, I follow them on Facebook as well, I have gotten tons of stuff threw them, rug runner, food samples, loads of coupons, dog treats, even the Kindle app and books for my BlackBerry, to name a few. Free magazines, music, sweeps, I just recieved a coupon for a free hair cut at salon chain, its a neat site.
That is the correct web address, but the way.

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments But watch, alot of books that they post for free has a shelf life, pardon the pun, meaning that it is free for a limited time. Most older books will remain free, but newer ones like the two I just loaded, Flowers For Elvis and A Little Death in Dixie are no longer. I have noticed that on my suggestion list on the actual Amazon page will provide Kindle reads that are free.

message 27: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments Right now about 20. Most are books on my to read list :).