Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Author Self Promotion > Self Promotions Rules & Guidelines

Comments (showing 22-71)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 71: by Diane (new)

Diane Meier (goodreadscomDEMeier) | 1 comments No Kill Station: Murder at Rehoboth Beach
My book is for people who love animals. The animal shelter director known as the Grim Reaper is beaten to death on the first page. That was fun.

I worked in animal rescue for years and the book royalties are going to Home for Life, an amazing no kill sanctuary in Minnesota. Many of my experiences are reflected in the book. It's not a memoir although there is a ghost who blogs about the animal shelter. I wrote the No Kill Delaware blog for 4 years that criticized the state for not enforcing its new law intended to prevent convenience killing. The book's primary purpose is to entertain people with a good mystery, but hopefully, people will also learn a bit about animal shelters and how 98% of the animals could be adopted instead of killed.

Here's the book description:

The Rehoboth Beach animal shelter director known as the Grim Reaper is beaten to death. When Matt investigates, he is thrown into a nightmare that ends the peaceful new life with his son at the beach.

“Dog Killer” is scrawled at the murder scene so Matt searches for people who hated the victim because of the shelter’s treatment of homeless animals. Matt is shocked to learn of the shelter convenience killing, the slaughter of Pit Bulls, and the roundup of feral cats. His landlord Clara has two Pit Bulls and a cat colony that Matt and his son have come to love like family.

Matt wants to find the animal rights blogger who pours gasoline on the flames of community outrage. Because of the shelter director’s cyberbullying and use of animal control to harass people, the blogger writes anonymously. Clara knows the blogger’s identity but won’t tell Matt – for good reason.

Matt discovers a criminal conspiracy but cannot get politicians to do anything. Despite the warnings, he is unable to allow this evil to continue. As he works to solve the murder and stop the animal cruelty, Matt comes to a new understanding of life and death. At the same time, he discovers love, hope, and a new calling.

Find out more about how convenience killing and animal cruelty was stopped in Delaware. www.NoKillStation.net

message 70: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ann (DarkMatterRevealed) | 6 comments The Butterfly Child

What can a deep and abiding love withstand? When you keep a secret that has the power to bring two worlds together, which are being torn apart by an evil so abominable you cannot call it by name—and you are being hunted—what do you do?

In the second novel of the Butterfly Prophecy Series, Belinda, now a mortal with a secret of her own to protect, sets off in search of her centuries-old protector, Michael, who is in Italy trying to stop Mordecai from destroying the Group of World Servers—the immortal society dedicated to protecting mortals from Mordecai’s evil. Parted from her true love, Damien, who is forced to travel to France with Thomas, Belinda is taken from the Group Estate for her own protection; or is she a prisoner?

The Butterfly Child follows Belinda to her one true destiny where she must finally face a truth that will set her free or it will endanger everything she holds dear—even the greatest love of her life!

message 69: by Arun (new)

Arun Ellis | 34 comments The book 'Insurrection' will be FREE on Amazon for Kindle download until Wednesday 15th March 2017
Insurrection by Arun D. Ellis
Amazon .co.uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insurrection...
Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Insurrection-A...
Hi

Just to let you know that my book 'Insurrection' will be FREE on Amazon for Kindle/PC download from Saturday 11th to Wednesday 15th March 2017. All I ask is that you tell your friends and leave a review.

A group of well-heeled, geriatric friends, all ex service men and women, are so incensed at the callous and sustained ruination of their country that they resolve to make a stand, to arm themselves and to fight, to rid the land of their greedy leaders, to attack the political elites in their haven, the Houses of Parliament, even if it means making the ultimate sacrifice - will they go through with their murderous plans? A mad-eyed Preacher - is he all that he seems to be? What links them? Where will they all end up?

Sample below:

All around him lay his comrades, brave men of the 24th. The crack of rifles mingled with the cries of the wounded. He loaded a cartridge into the breach of his Martini-Henry and levelled the bayonet to meet the oncoming Zulus. He felt the warmth against his face, eyes closed he smelt the dry air, a slight breeze ruffled through his hair as he slowly exhaled. He heard the tune of Hound Dog and Elvis blasting away, then a heavy banging...

"Alb, you alright in there?"

"What the...?" he mumbled, rubbing his forehead, "Bugger."

"Alb?" Gerry sounded concerned; next step would be the warden and the master key.

"Yeah, yeah," he responded, struggling out his chair. His current favourite book, 'The Washing of the Spears ' slid off his lap and onto the floor, "Coming, give us a chance, won't you."

During the years they’d lived in the Eden Hall Retirement Village, as residents died and apartments became vacant, Alb Rayner and Gerry Arbuthnot had contrived re-locations until they now lived next door to one another; best friends as children, best man at each other’s wedding, they’d billeted together in the army and saw no reason why they shouldn’t support each other in their dotage. (Alb’s words)

Now Gerry's hands trembled slightly as he put the two mugs of tea on the low table and slumped gratefully into the armchair. He looked across the room; at the lines of bookshelves that held the non-fiction that had sustained his friend for all the years he'd known him. For once Alb had no book in his hand, although one was lying open nearby, instead his attention was fixed on the TV, a large flat screened, surround-sound, effort bought so recently that the excitement of watching even boring shows on such a large and loud scale had yet to wear off. Alb had justified the purchase with the stridently voiced comment that since 'not a lot else' was going on in his life except counting the days to death and since he'd no-one to leave his money to even when that happened he would spend it while he could.

“You're just in time, some people’s issues programme's about to start," he muttered, remote in hand, "that poncey prick Tommy Boyle.”

“Ah, the lie detector show, that crap, turn it up, will ya.” There was apparently even less going on in Gerry's life.

"Did you see old Pete died?" Alb was a font of local knowledge, mostly from reading the obituaries.

"A real shame, he wasn't that old either," said Gerry, for once he too had heard the gossip.

"76 next birthday," said Alb; to them at 80 and 81 respectively Pete had been a mere stripling. "Not yet 76 and his bloody kids bunged him in a dump like that." He shivered; 'that' had been a state-run nursing home and could've been his fate too if it weren't for his Army pension and some good investments. His greatest terror, something that could wake him at night sweating, was the loss of his freedom and his beloved books.

"You'd have thought they could've looked after him, bloody selfish little shits." Gerry was instantly outraged, like blue touch paper lit on a firecracker, "You remember, when my old mum moved in with me and Gwen after dad died, we knew how to look after our own in those days."

"Yep," said Alb, who'd done the same for his dad, "it wasn't all me, me, me back then, people were a community."

"We looked out for each other," Gerry was warming to the theme; though they'd gone over the ground time and again, "no-one would've put their parents away, even in places like this."

He waved his hand to take in the whole set up; thirty-two separate one bedroom, ground floor apartments, arranged in a figure of eight around two central courtyards. Each had its own kitchen and lounge but there were communal facilities; a kitchenette, a sun room, a casual dining area and a large TV lounge. The Eden Hall Retirement Village was well equipped with all manner of amenities; available to all with the money to pay for it.

They fell silent, both taking a sip of tea and staring at the TV, the music started and they were entranced in an instant, part of the show, ready to be introduced to the mess-ups some people call their lives, ready to be entertained.

The host of the show, Tommy Boyle, tall, debonair and utterly lethal, his frame dominating the scene, turned to the large, amorphous mass on his right, “Felicity, please, tell us why you’re here.”

“Well, Tommy,” Felicity (all 22 stone of her) bounced in the chair, her arms gesticulating this way and that, “I’m pregnant right an’ Randall, my boyfriend won’t believe I ‘aven’t ‘ad sex wiv no-one else, just ‘im.”

"Bugger me, I'd believe her," Gerry was leaning out of his chair, nearly spilling his tea, "I'm surprised she's had sex with anybody, I mean who the hell could fancy that?"

The crux of the story laid bare the audience relaxed, waiting for the maestro to begin his dissection; “So for you, Felicity, it's clear, it's your boyfriend's baby.”

“Yeah,” said Felicity, the coquettish look she produced sat uneasily on her shapeless face.

"Right, let's get him in here," said Tommy. He put out one arm in a welcoming gesture and onto the stage slouched a tall and skinny youth with a spotty complexion. He made a face at the audience, some hissing at him having already made up their minds, and slumped into a chair.

"Okay Randall," started Tommy, "Felicity has told us that she's pregnant and that you don't believe it's yours."

"I know it ain't," spat Randall, adjusting his position, angling his body away from Felicity's.

"Gawd, will you look at that," guffawed Alb.

"What a bloody mess," said Gerry, trying to make up his mind if the youth's hair was wet or simply greasy. "A quick spell in the army wouldn't do him any harm."

"Too bloody right," agreed Alb, "reckon that goes for most of the lay-abouts."

"Yor a liar," barked Felicity, rising monstrously from her chair. The two book-end bouncers waiting in the wings moved closer at a quick signal from Tommy but she subsided into her chair as quickly as she'd risen from it.

The argument raged back and forth on screen, the all too familiar pattern of lies and deceit; baring your lives to the studio audience's ridicule as well as that of the watching millions, all in the name of entertainment.

Gerry sighed heavily; the repetition was depressing, "We got any biscuits?"

"No, you got any in your place?"

"No," said Gerry, "but I bet Ken has."

Ken Grewcock lived in one of the apartments along the way, a mere minute's walk yet neither could summon the energy to move; they continued to stare at the TV.

Tommy was in command again, doing his showman bit, playing to the audience, "Okay, Randall, we get the general idea, you don't trust Felicity." He paused for effect, “So, if you don’t trust her, why is it that you’re still with her?"

Randall fidgeted in his seat and played with his nose, then picked it with his thumb, "'Cause I luv 'er, doan I." The camera homed in on Randall's tears and then cut to Felicity. She put out a chubby arm and looked tenderly at him.

"Well, if you love each other so much, why are we here?" asked Tommy, "Surely you can make it work together, for the sake of the baby."

"It ain't my fuckin' kid," retorted Randall, tears dried.

"What makes you think it isn't?" asked Tommy.

"I just know, ok," sullen now, head on chest, his voice a low mumble.

"It's your baby," Felicity's voice was ragged with tears, "I love you an' I ain't been wiv no-one else, on my muvver's life."

"Well, we can establish the truth of that statement," said Tommy, stretching his hand out for the 'golden envelope of truth' in a theatrical gesture, "Felicity took the lie detector test this morning and we asked her 'have you had sex with anyone else since dating Randall?'"

Both Gerry and Alb had leaned forward, breath bated, in an unconscious mirroring of the studio audience's reaction.

Tommy glanced round at the audience and then looked at Felicity, ".....and she said 'No'."

He paused for effect and the audience, expectant, leant further forwards in their seats, a pin dropping would have caused mayhem, "and the lie detector test said.....she was........LYING."

At that the audience erupted with gasps, groans, laughs and general abuse directed at both individuals on the stage. Gerry added his own tirade to the general cacophony.

"D'you know," Alb's voice sounded strained, "I blame Thatcher, her and her 'no such thing as society'. We used to look after each other, in the old days, but it's different today." Gerry had half an ear on the TV and half on Alb, never a good thing to do as he would keep talking until he got proper acknowledgement of his point. "No-one looks out for anyone anymore, as soon as you're old they bung you somewhere to die, 'cause that's what they want to do... forget us until we die, then they whisk us away and bung us in the ground, just like that."

"Yeah," said Gerry, "know what you mean."

"And everything we were, everything we stood for, our experiences...."
Gerry caught his drift, "Yeah ...it's a real shame, a man like Pete, all his memories and now they're all gone, lost forever."

He was now quite depressed and was about to say more when Alb, in one of his quick mood changes muttered, "Still, no use cryin' over spilt milk," whilst pulling himself up and out of the chair. He fiddled with the remote, turning off the TV, "Come on; let's go see about those biscuits."

Happy reading, hope you have a good week.

Cheers

Arun

Amazon .co.uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insurrection...
Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Insurrection-A...

message 68: by Jenovva (last edited Mar 01, 2017 12:32AM) (new)

Jenovva Baeli | 1 comments Hi everyone!

I published a fantasy book name 'Three Kings (God of War, #1)'. You can check it out here for an unpredictable and complex story that will capture your attention.

He was a great and brave king who conquered and ruled three adjacent lands. One day, he divided and gave the three lands to his three commanders to go to a faraway land where he built a new kingdom, Esquil. Thirty years had passed, and the three new kings decided to assassinate his son, so he sent his agents to these kingdoms to take revenge on them and reshape the territories. Their mission was to destroy the kingdoms from inside, but their specific plans were hidden from one another.

https://www.amazon.ca/Three-Kings-God...

Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 67: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Stevenson | 15 comments The Floozy in the Park by Ellie Stevenson

Hi, I'm Ellie Stevenson, and I’m delighted to say that my third novel The Floozy in the Park is now out as an ebook.

Think murder, mystery, a beautiful but sinister island and the chance to shop in Edwardian England! You can find more about the novel on its book page:

http://bit.ly/2g0lKt1

Available from Amazon at just 99p/99c until 27th. Don’t miss out!

http://amzn.to/2eyjfQ6 (UK) or http://amzn.to/2gyXz8k (US)

message 65: by Edmund (new)

Edmund Kelly | 1 comments Hi, my name is Edmund Kelly and I just released my first novel Addiction & Pestilence which is the first book in my Slaying Dragons: A Journey Through Hell series.

Slaying Dragons is a term used to describe, in this instance, someone who has overcome their battle with addiction to drugs and/or alcohol as well as defeating evil or the Devil.

Synopsis:
Brian Phillips lies alone in the Lumpton Treatment Center, reflecting on the poor choices that lead him there. When a deadly virus is unleashed, Brian must flee for his life—aided only by a strange, otherworldly figure …
Meanwhile, Drew’s life is turned upside down when his wife walks out following an explosive argument about his drinking. The next morning he receives an untimely phone call, sending him to his ailing mother’s bedside.
As Drew arrives in Florida, a horrifying plague spreads at an alarming rate throughout the Earth. He must now make the long journey home on foot, encountering others along the way—each with their own hidden addictions. As the world is plunged into chaos, can those remaining fight through a disintegrating humanity and overcome their demons … or will they simply succumb?
A compelling look at addiction and the perseverance of the human spirit, Addiction and Pestilence is the exciting first installment in Edmund Kelly’s Slaying Dragons series.

Addiction & Pestilence can be found on Kindle and paperback coming soon! Amazon.com/author/edmundkelly

http://www.edmundkelly.com

Thank you,

-Ed

message 64: by Kaylee (new)

Kaylee Dolat | 10 comments Good Morning Everyone!
My name is Kaylee. I have a book I am self promoting called Codename: Alexander. He is by far my favorite written work right now. He is my third book, but my most notable one. I already have fans requesting a sequel!

A little information:
Alex is a military brat that gets stuck in a town he learns to adapt to. That is, until he starts seeing things from the corner of his eyes. Dark shapes, shadows, whispers of forms lurk in his vision and he feels as if he's going crazy. Luckily for him, there are others that see the same thing. Unluckily? The shapes he's seeing are demons. They plague his school and set out to make his life miserable. Why? He is the new wielder of a mystical weapon that has changed shape throughout history.

I'm going to stop right there because otherwise I'll spoil the ending! Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or give my new child some much deserved cuddles.

Thank you!

He is available on Amazon Kindle, in paperback, and in hardcopy.

message 63: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JMcKeit) | 2 comments Hi all! I'm a clean historical fantasy romance author currently obsessed with Atlantis! My book is Atlantis On the Shores of Forever. Here's an excerpt:

A princess seeking to balance duty and her tempestuous heart...
A wanderer searching for a purpose...
A soldier destined for glory...
A doomed civilization.

The princess of an exiled kingdom, Gwenwhyfar's marriage was decided at birth. Enter Marcus Duilius, a career soldier with an eye for beauty. Although drawn to his fatal charms, she knows this son of a Roman naval hero will never allow a woman to stand in the way of his ambition. With her husband's untimely death, she discovers a freedom she never imagined possible.

Ready to make her own destiny, Gwenwhyfar finds she must put aside her desires once more and reforge ties with the mighty Atlantis. Mysterious ships have arrived from the east, leaving destruction in their wake. The known world is threatened. To complicate matters, her former Norse bodyguard has suddenly returned to claim her for his own.

Can she uphold her duty, save her world, and still find true love?

If you're interested in reading, you get get it for FREE on Smashwords from now until July 31:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

message 62: by Arun (new)

Arun Ellis | 34 comments My book Corpalism will be FREE for Kindle download from Amazon 15/6/16 to 19/6/16
Corpalism by Arun D. Ellis
Amazon .co.uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...
Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Corpalism-Arun...

Hi

Just to let you know that my book 'Corpalism' will be FREE on Amazon for Kindle/PC download from Wednesday 15th June to Sunday 19th June 2016. All I ask is that you tell your friends and leave a review.

Set in a dystopian future; all wealth is in the hands of the Corporations, the 1% whilst the 99% live in economic debt or poverty on sink estates in the North. Terry works for Relocations, his job is to relocate undesirables to these estates. Unfortunately for Terry he is late for work once too often and is himself relocated to a sink. But Terry is not all he seems. Why is he there and who does he really work for?

Meet Sir Phillip Blackmore, head of British Secret Intelligence, a Machiavellian character with plots more devious and unpleasant than even the Prime Minister is allowed to know about.

Delores Grey is a successful singer and the victim of a kidnapping; she has been missing for forty days and forty nights. Before she disappeared she was a flighty superstar who thought little of the world around her, on her return she is much changed, she now cares about things to the extent that she is willing to lecture her interviewers. Why has this change come upon her? Where has she been? Has she in fact been anywhere, could it be that it is all in the mind of Stephanie White and if so, who is Stephanie White?

It's Fancy Dress Night down the Dog n Duck. A group of young friends share a table for the night; Hiawatha, the Lone Ranger, Charlie Chaplin, Pirate, Mr Spock and a transvestite. They ramble through their usual debates and discussions. During the course of the evening their real identities are revealed as well as where they fit in the story.

The Independents are a new force in politics. Free of any lobby group, party bias, or corporate interest, they are determined to avert the looming catastrophe. They are on a headlong collision course with Sir Phillip Blackmore.

Naz and the other young Muslims are hatching a plot to bring home grown terror to an iconic building, one held dear to the hearts of many British people, including some of the would-be terrorists themselves. Will they be able to bring themselves to do it or will the plot be foiled by Blackmore's intelligence network?

Happy reading and hope you have a good week.

Cheers

Arun

Amazon .co.uk
Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Corpalism-Arun...

message 61: by Arun (new)

Arun Ellis | 34 comments My book Daydream Believers will be FREE for Kindle download from Amazon 5/6/16 to 9/6/16

Hi -

Amazon.co.uk

Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

Just to let you know that my book 'Daydream Believers' will be FREE on Amazon for Kindle/PC download from Sunday 5th June to Thursday 9th June 2016. All I ask is that you tell your friends and leave a review.

It's about a bunch of old people, ex service men and women all, they find they are no longer willing to sit back and allow the politically corrupt to ruin their country. They resolve to make a stand, to arm themselves and to fight, to rid the land of their greedy leaders, to attack the political elites in their haven, the Houses of Parliament.

The workmen argue and bluster and generally mess up, the three fat ladies take advantage of the digital age to seduce their unsuspecting prey.

The superstar footballer and his trophy wife reveal the self destructive nature of their life together and their pointless marriage.

A lucky couple win the lottery and find the pressures of new found wealth and family envy hard to handle.

A young East European finds herself prostituted until she meets her chivalric knight.

A mad eyed preacher tries to lecture the world back from the abyss.

The avenging 'Hand of God' meets out justice against criminal pimps from his community.

A homicidal diarist decides he's had enough and plans to kill members of the selfish 1%.

And then there's the return of Blackmore, the spy master general.
Happy reading and hope you have a good week.

Cheers

Arun

Amazon.co.uk

Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

message 60: by Donald (new)

Donald Ha | 1 comments Hello. I'm Donald Ha the author of Korea.
This book started publishing a series of novels through a famous serial novel website in Korea. The creativity of our novels resulted in becoming a best seller author due to more than 680,000 readers subscribing in a short time span.
Title is Der Soldat: The Soldier series 1
There are a total of six . And now there is one piece for sale on Amazon.
https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin...
Please evaluate after reading my book.

In Korea, there’s a very famous serial novel website, where the book “The Soldier” was first published. Due to the creativity of the author, it became an instant hit with more than 680,000 readers. “The Soldier” is a fantasy novel with the World War II as its background. The story first generated from the question, ‘What if the world of the Wulin actually existed in real life?’ Through the authors imagination, readers are introduced to characters with supernatural powers that start to reveal their abilities when put under extreme situations and are willing to cast their lives to defend what they ought to protect.

Jackal, the main character, is a former German soldier. He’s a person of misfortune, swept up in war against his will and having to change sides multiple times. Coincidentally, Jackal meets Marie-Louise, a Jewish girl who holds an enormous secret. She holds within her the evil spirit of the Blood Demon, the most powerful martial arts wielder in history. Though the two first meet as enemies, they become allies through their fights together against the enemy. Through the heated battles, Jackal discovers that he possesses a miraculous power he never knew he had, which soon sets him in the crosshairs of the Blood Demon within Marie-Louise.

Will Jackal, who was once called the ‘War Devil’ during the WWII, be able to finally safely flee to Argentina and gain his freedom?

message 59: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ann (DarkMatterRevealed) | 6 comments Dark Matter: The Secret Revealed is the first book in the Butterfly Prophecy Series. It is a love story, a coming of age story and a story about uniting two worlds, the mortal and the immortal. Belinda, the heroine, must fight against a demented and dark foe who will go to unforgivable lengths to stop her from fulfilling her destiny. The novel was published in December 2015 and has received five excellent reviews so far! Please enjoy two excerpts on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/darkmatterre... or you can read several chapters on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019...

message 58: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ann (DarkMatterRevealed) | 6 comments Hello,

Immortals live among us. My new novel, Dark Matter: The Secret Revealed is now available on Amazon.com It is a fantasy/romance that promises a heroine who will surprise and charm you and a villain that will make your blood boil! Enjoy

message 57: by Ica (new)

Ica Iova | 25 comments Resilience by Ica IovaMy name is Ica Iova, I'm an award-winning author. My new romantic suspense, Resilience, will be released in January and is now available to pre-order.
hyperurl.co/al9tez

Blurb: Johanna’s custody battles are over or…the least of her problems.

Louis—her ex-husband—is dead, his girlfriend is missing, and Johanna is the prime suspect.

The detective working the case is not even looking for another suspect. Johanna’s only chance is to hire a highly skilled attorney, and the best she knows is a man from her past, who likely despises her.

Will he set aside his contempt to defend her? And if she didn’t kill Louis, who did?

Chapter 1

Any given day that Johanna White did not have to interact with Detective Louis White, her ex-husband, or Melinda Morton, his douchebag lawyer, was a good day in her book. By that rule, the past two weeks had been full of good ones. Today, though, was murky.
The only possible way to define it.
She rubbed her palms together as a nervous laugh bubbled up, almost erupting from her mouth. Not that there was anything funny, but because not knowing had that effect on her. It was almost like expecting a blow, of sorts, but not knowing when it was coming or the force of the impact—which made laughter all the more inappropriate.
She bit her bottom lip to stop it, and glanced at the stack of papers sitting on her desk in a state of half-organized clutter. It contrasted with the orderly room. She wondered why take the work home when she knew she wouldn’t be able to focus on it any better at home than she had at the office.
To calm herself down, she circled her desk and looked out the window. Thunder roared in the distance as a flash of lightning stabbed the ceiling of black clouds.
Nothing unusual about November downpours in Vancouver, she thought, still chewing on her lip.
Only today, Johanna’s mood seemed to mirror the weather outside. Like the thunder, her mind rumbled while waiting for the clock to tick ten o’clock—the time when Family Supreme Court in Vancouver opened.
She turned and glanced into the face reflecting from a six-foot crystal mirror propped against the wall. Staring back through shimmering blue eyes, was a young woman with long blond curls. A strand that refused to stay clipped back coiled around her ear. Her gaze glided from the top of her hair, down to the white silk blouse tucked in her black pencil skirt, ending with a study of her black leather shoes with three inch high heels. Fashion was not something that Johanna focused on, but she’d been told she had a natural flair for it.
On the surface, her smooth complexion and full lips looked calm and collected, but inside, a knot of nerves felt like a bomb ready to explode.
No, this was not her normal self. She hadn’t always been anxious. Fearful. Years ago she had been calm, optimistic, joyful. She had even been happily married, once. But that was a long time ago. Ten years, exactly. Ten years since Louis had charmed his way into her life—flirting with her and making promises he never intended to keep.
They used to be endlessly happy. She recalled how proud she was to be married to a cop. In fact, Louis’ direction in life was the first thing that had attracted her. But slowly, she had watched her loving husband morph into this deranged lunatic who treated her like yesterday’s garbage. “Our problems are your fault,” he’d told her time and again.
Even so, he had managed to string her along until he confessed to having an affair. That was the beginning of their end. He swore that the affair meant nothing to him. He didn’t want to lose her. He
suggested marriage counseling, and for a day or so, she even considered it, wanting to believe they could work out their problems.
But her instincts, trying desperately to block his pleas, pushed her to engage in a gut-wrenching scrutiny of her married life. The word enough kept slamming into her mind, crushing her attempts to find excuses for Louis’ behavior.
In the end, her common sense had won. Certain her marriage was over long before Louis’ affair, she had filed for divorce, and their happily-ever-after had ended too soon. However, memories of the good times still played at the edge of her mind. They were few and far in between, but that didn’t make them any less memorable. Not even the bitter divorce could wipe out those blissful moments. After all, her two beautiful children, Athena and Aidan, were there to remind Johanna she had been in love. Once. For that reason, she wouldn’t have it any other way.
But now, Louis was trying to take her children away from her. Well…he had been trying since they first separated, but this time, he might just succeed. And it was the reason Johanna’s nerves had knotted in the pit of her stomach.
More than four years of fiery court battles had culminated with another hearing where a crooked psychologist had testified that she was an irresponsible parent.

message 56: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (EffieKammenou) | 5 comments Evanthia's Gift (The Gift Saga #1) by Effie Kammenou
Hi all!
My book, Evanthia's Gift has been on Amazon since August. The reviews have been good and I've had quite a bit of correspondence from readers. Below is the back cover blurb and the first two chapters.

In the year 1956, Anastacia Fotopoulos finds herself pregnant and betrayed, fleeing from a bad marriage. With the love and support of her dear friends Stavros and Soula Papadakis, Ana is able to face the challenges of single motherhood. Left with emotional wounds, she resists her growing affection for Alexandros Giannakos, an old acquaintance. But his persistence and unconditional love for Ana and her child is eventually rewarded and his love is returned. In a misguided, but well-intentioned effort to protect the ones they love, both Ana and Alex keep secrets - ones that could threaten the delicate balance of their family.

The story continues in the 1970’s as Dean and Demi Papadakis, and Sophia Giannakos attempt to negotiate between two cultures. Now Greek-American teenagers, Sophia and Dean,
who have shared a special connection since childhood, become lovers. Sophia is shattered when Dean rebels against the pressure his father places on him to uphold his Greek heritage and hides his feelings for her. When he pulls away from his family, culture and ultimately his love for her, Sophia is left with no choice but to find a life different from the one she’d hoped for.

EVANTHIA’S GIFT is a multigenerational love story spanning fifty years and crossing two continents, chronicling the lives that unify two families.

Chapter 1

November 1955

The air was unusually chilled for early November in NYC, but despite the dropping temperature, sweat trickled down the back of Anastacia’s neck. Unable to wish away the nausea that was taking hold of her and too ill to sit through her last class, she’d left the NYU campus, hopping on an uptown subway to return home for the day. She’d been lightheaded and queasy the past few days, but nothing as violent as what she was currently feeling. Waiting at the crosswalk, the aroma of garlic and cheese permeating from a nearby café antagonized the volcano that was about to erupt in her belly, and she prayed she would get home without incident.
At last, Anastacia ducked into her apartment building, closing her eyes, and offering a silent thank you to the heavens for the safety and comfort of her home. Once inside her foyer, she removed her coat, hung it in the closet and glimpsed herself in the mirror hanging over the Bombay Chest. Pale skin and sunken eyes replaced her usual olive complexion and healthy glow.
I just need to sleep off whatever this is.
Her husband, Jimmy, was not expected home from work for several hours, and she hoped to be feeling better by then.
Suddenly, the sound of voices startled her. She walked through the living room, following the noise. She almost forgot the motion sickness that forced her home earlier than usual as the guttural sound of rhythmic moans grew louder, interrupted only by a woman’s shrill laughter. Anastacia forced her legs to follow the cacophony and found herself at the doorway of her bedroom. She stood there frozen. Seeing, but not believing. Tears sprang to her eyes and dripped down her cheeks, and she began to shake uncontrollably. Anastacia attempted to speak, but bile rose to her throat, rendering her incapable of uttering a word. Then, a cry that seemed to escape from her very soul, revealed her presence.
In that second, they knew she’d witnessed their betrayal. Anastacia was taken aback by the look of pure satisfaction that flashed across the naked woman’s face. A face that held not even a hint of guilt or remorse.
Her husband’s face told a different story. Shock, fear, maybe regret. For getting caught. It couldn’t have been more than a few seconds, but so many thoughts bombarded her mind that it was as though she were moving in slow motion. But then, the impact of it all slammed into her, and she ran.
Jimmy jumped up, wrapping himself in a bed sheet.
“Ana! Wait!” He pushed the woman off him. “Get off me! Move! Get out of here.”
Barely making it to the bathroom, Anastacia leaned over the toilet, expelling the contents of her stomach.
“Ana,” Jimmy pleaded, coming up beside her.
“Get away from me.” She wiped her mouth with a towel, straightened up and gathered all her strength to push past him.
Jimmy blocked the doorway.
“Ana mou, I’m sorry. Please. Let me explain. Sagapo. I love-”
“Don’t touch me or ever say that to me. You’re disgusting. You both are.” She ducked under his arm, but he grabbed her wrist.
His touch seared her to the bone and she pulled away. She was shamed, shaken—broken, but there was no way she was going to let him see it.
“I said don’t touch me. Never come near me again.”
“It’s not what it looks like. She… it was all her. I never meant to… Ana, please.”
“It looked like it was both of you. Now let me pass,” she spat. He lifted his hands in surrender and stepped aside as she pushed her way past him through the narrow bathroom doorway.
In the hallway, the woman stood, watching, gloating. Although she and Anastacia both had dark brown hair and similar Mediterranean features, she lacked the poise and grace that Anastacia exuded.
“Get out of my home,” Ana ordered her. “I never want to see you again.” Anastacia stormed out her front door, slamming it behind her. Doubling over, she thought she might heave again, but she drew in a deep breath and continued down the hall to Soula’s apartment. She frantically knocked on the door. When she opened it, Soula took one look at her best friend and she hugged her.
“Ana mou, what is it?
Between gasps and cries, Anastacia relayed the entire humiliating scene, as well as Jimmy’s despicable attempt to explain the unforgivable.
“What do I do now?”
“We go upstairs and talk to your uncle,” Soula said. “He will know how to handle this.”
“How can I tell him? What will my parents say? How could I be so stupid? What will Uncle Tasso think?”
“Of you? Nothing different than before. Of them? They will get what they deserve. Come. We will go together. I will tell your uncle if you cannot.”

A LOVE STORY SPANNING DECADES - DEEPENED BY TRADITION, HERITAGE, LOSS, STRUGGLE, PERSEVERANCE AND LOYALTY.
Evanthia's Gift

message 55: by Mystie (new)

Mystie Tempest (goodreadscommystietempest_novels) | 2 comments Hello Everyone!!! Mystie Tempest here providing updates for all the fabulous readers out there. Thanks for your support! Don't miss out on these Amazing deals and stock up on My books in time for the holidays!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnLS...
Check out the trailers for currently available novels! Patrick Bleu is now available for only $0.99 via Amazon Kindle! This price is for a limited time only so hurry and get it today! Don't forget to order Volume 2, featuring Felipe Bleu (Victims and Despair) and Hunter, Slayer of Covens all now at a reduced price via paperback.

message 54: by Mystie (new)

Mystie Tempest (goodreadscommystietempest_novels) | 2 comments Hello Everyone!!! Mystie Tempest here providing updates for all the fabulous readers out there. Thanks for your support! Don't miss out on these Amazing deals and stock up on My books in time for the holidays!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch
Check out the trailers for currently available novels! Patrick Bleu is now available for only $0.99 via Amazon Kindle! This price is for a limited time only so hurry and get it today! Don't forget to order Volume 2, featuring Felipe Bleu (Victims and Despair) and Hunter, Slayer of Covens now at a reduced price via paperback.

message 53: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ann (DarkMatterRevealed) | 6 comments Dark Matter: The Secret Revealed/Users/dgordon/Desktop/ButterflyTrilogy_origin/Users/dgordon/Desktop/IMG_3116.JPGal.jpg
In this first book of the Butterfly Prophecy Series, follow Belinda on her journey to her mortal life as Cerridwen, the High Priestess of the Isle of the Mists, where she will discover a secret she has buried for centuries --a secret that once revealed will help her discover her true calling and embrace the greatest love she has ever known.
Immortals walk among us. Their presence kept quiet by a secret society. A powerful force that binds the mortal and immortal worlds manifests, and the secret is revealed. In this first book of the Butterfly Prophecy Series, follow Belinda as she races against time to save her true love, Damien, and faces the ruthless Mordecai, an Old Immortal, who seeks to destroy Belinda and all that she loves.

message 52: by Robert (new)

Robert Eggleton | 3 comments “…Rarity from the Hollow is detailed, dark and beautifully written by a competent writer who injects plenty of satire, sci-fi and fantasy elements into a work of thought-provoking and meaningful adult/fantasy fiction at its very best….”

http://www.amazon.com/Rarity-Hollow-R...

http://walkerputsche.wordpress.com/

Lacy Dawn Adventures on Facebook

Rarity from the Hollow by Robert Eggleton

message 51: by Robert (new)

Robert Eggleton | 3 comments Rarity from the Hollow is Free!

Gold Medal Adult Literary Science Fiction

Visit http://susan-thebookbag.blogspot.com/... and check out the giveaway -- limited time offer.

Please share to be fair.

Rarity from the Hollow by Robert Eggleton

message 50: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (mudmule99) | 149 comments Vengeance of the Werewolf by Mercedes Fox Poaching the Immortal (Vengeance of the Werewolf, #2) by Mercedes Fox Life After (Werewolf Domination, #1) by Mercedes Fox

Howdy all! I love werewolves and all 3 of my books are about them. I'll keep this short, I'm sure the descriptions will help. Also, my books are for mature readers. They are very graphic in both violence, gore, and sex.

Vengeance of the Werewolf
Werewolves are living in town. Some are good, some are bad, some are really bad. Vengeance of the Werewolf is filled with suspense of the hunt for the werewolf, explicit sexual situations, gore as only werewolves can inspire. This book isn't intended for younger readers as it is rated R. Wolfcreek's werewolves are raw, dangerous, compassionate, vengeful, vicious, and human. There are no mad beasts here, these monsters know exactly what they are doing as they retain their human control when in beast form.

Poaching the Immortal
Welcome to Wolfcreek where werewolves are your neighbors and law enforcement. After the horrific events in Vengeance of the Werewolf, life for Ted Applegate is starting to get back to normal. He’s due for a vacation and he loves nothing more than hunting. His dream of hunting big game in Alaska comes true with luck of the draw. Soon after arriving in Alaska and meeting other winning hunters, things go astray. When the screaming begins blood will flow through the dark timber like rivers. People will die and they all deserve it. Extreme violence and gore. Not intended for younger readers.

Life After
People are changing into werewolves all over the country. Men, women, and children are being killed. The human population of the United States is plummeting.
Randi and surviving members of her family escape the city and take refuge in the deserted grasslands. They think they’ll be safe from the horrors destroying civilization until it comes knocking on their front door.
Many will die in the now apocalyptic United States. Many will be changed forever into something which shouldn’t exist. Love, death, and new life will be found in the wasteland.
This is the story of Randi and her family’s everyday struggles. Beware surviving in this new world can be very dangerous and bloody.

message 49: by Robert (last edited Oct 30, 2015 07:48PM) (new)

Robert Eggleton | 3 comments Rarity from the Hollow by Robert Eggleton

Rarity from the Hollow is adult literary science fiction with content that addresses social issues. Written in the colloquial voice of an eleven year old going of two million, this novel is not for the prudish, fainthearted or easily offended. It is a Children’s Story for Adults. Lacy Dawn is not a typical little girl, and if you think of her as such, you may be shocked.

She lives in a hollow with her worn-out mom, her Iraq War disabled dad, and her mutt Brownie, a dog who’s very skilled at laying fiber optic cable. Lacy Dawn’s android boyfriend has come to the hollow with a mission. His equipment includes infomercial videos of Earth’s earliest proto-humans from millennia ago. He was sent by the Manager of the Mall on planet Shptiludrp (Shop ’till You Drop): he must recruit Lacy Dawn to save the Universe in exchange for the designation of Earth as a planet which is eligible for continued existence within a universal economic structure that exploits underdeveloped planets for their mineral content. Lacy Dawn’s magic enables her to save the universe, Earth, and, most importantly, her own family.

message 48: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Mae (JackieMae) | 3 comments Hello I'm Jackie Mae. I currently have seven books published in different genres. Just recently I published 3 novellas. My novellas of the 'If' series delve into the possibilities of 'what if,' and when a psychic enters the picture all bets are off. All have romantic elements, all have a surprise ending.

Readers' Favorite gave it a 5-star review. Midwest Book Review gave it a stellar review as well. Here is a snippet from If... Second Chance:

“If,” could mean different things to different people. If—I were a better person. If—I were rich, thinner, or prettier. If—I were black, white, Asian, male or female, shorter or taller. If—I had been born to a different set of parents. If—I had more friends. If—I had a better job. If. That one little word can take you places or make you crazy…

"It was hard to believe Shona had once considered suicide. Not knowing how she would crawl out from under her financial woes, she had given it some thought. Her happiness hadn’t taken her plan very far. She always thought having a positive attitude would win the day. But one day, one moment in time, she couldn’t find her way out of the shadows. The shadows had slowly, insidiously crept its way into those empty spaces of her soul. Threatening to take her over, she had cast the shadows to the four winds. She had been safe until one day the greyness filled too many spaces. She lost her way. In fact, she had contemplated suicide late one evening after a particularly hard day at work.

Shona Forrester was an energetic go-getter. She preached faithfully that “you should not sit around and wait for things to come to you; you have to make your own success.” At 29 years of age, she had scraped by, saving every damn nickel and dime until she was able to buy a small hair salon over on Lakeview just this past year.

Even though she had a solid business plan, one the bank had whole heartedly approved of and was impressed with, she soon found out, unfortunately, that things didn’t always work out the way one dreamt they would."

If you are interested in this tale or any of my books, please contact me at jackiemae dot author at gmail dot com
and please put "Want to Review" in the subject line.

Thank you.

message 47: by Marshall (new)

Marshall Chamberlain | 3 comments Hello, Thriller Readers. I author the Ancestor Series of adventure thrillers and other action oriented suspense novels. My newly released latest is The Apothecary. Marshall Chamberlain

The Apothecary by Marshall Chamberlain

If you like action and adventure thrillers like the Indiana Jones books, or books by Nelson DeMille, or James Rollin and the Sigma Force—or the scary realism of author Michael Crichton—you're going to love The Apothecary, an extraordinary techno-thriller.

From a "Foreword Reviews," Award Winning Author, Marshall Chamberlain gives us another adventure into plausible reality. Set in Atlanta, Georgia, The Apothecary is a nano-technology thriller, exploring the heights of human degeneracy and the vile consequences of insane arrogance.

A TOP SECRET, DOD NANOTECHNOLOGY PROJECT IS COMPROMISED.
A ROGUE SCIENTIST EXPERIMENTS ON HUMAN BEINGS.
DESIGN OF INEXPENSIVE NANO-DRUGS TAKES OVER THE DRUG INDUSTRY.
THE NANO REPLICATION PROCESS CAN DESTROY THE PLANET.

message 46: by Black (new)

Black Dragon | 1 comments A Sci-Fi Romantic Drama about a female human Alien from another planet, Omnibus, which parallels the Planet Earth, arrives on Earth. The Planet Omnibus got destroyed by a great meteor. April Sancral’s spirit traveled to Earth and possessed someone’s body and lived the rest of her life on Earth. She discovered she has special powers including Telepathy. But at heart, she is just a girl from another planet looking for love.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W...

message 45: by Jim (last edited Apr 27, 2015 05:39PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic Levels , a novel by Jim Vuksic.
The end result of a 300 year social experiment in an effort to create the perfect world.
http://jimvuksic.tateauthor.com/

Available in: paperback (376 pages), e-Book download (Kindle/Nook/Tablet), audio book on CD (9 compact discs), and audio book download - 8 hours listening time, narrated by Stephen Rozzell.
Distributed internationally by Ingram/Spring Arbor

Available through the following commercial vendors:
Amazon.com (U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, New Zealand, and India)
Audible.com www.audible.com
Barnes and Noble www.barnesandnoble.com
Better World Books www.betterworldbooks.com
Books-A-Million www.booksamillion.com
Christian Book Store www.deepershopping.com/jim-vuksic/hom...
Fish Pond.com - Australia www.fishpond.com.au
Just Audio Books www.justaudiobooks.com/authors/jim-vu...
Powell's Books www.powellsbooks.com/

message 44: by Michael (new)

Michael Wood (goodreadscommichaeljwood) | 2 comments Hey everyone,

I'm holding an audience poll to decide my next novel between three choices, and I'd love to know your opinion!

Which of these three books would you most want to read?:

Dream On: A teenager on the verge of committing suicide is visited by his future self, who shows him what awaits him in life to convince him to keep living.

Pretty Lies: A lawyer wakes up after an alcohol blackout as the prime suspect in a murder, and has to retrace a night he can’t remember to catch the true killer before the cops arrest him.

Rap Game: A murdered rap music superstar leaves behind his diary to help a detective catch his killer – but can the detective trust the clues? Or did the musician have a plan of his own?

You can read more and vote at http://michaeljwoodwriting.com.

Thanks so much!

Michael

message 43: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Belson (marjoriebelson) | 6 comments Nothing Is Promised
Great News!
I'm now able to offer a limited number of free copies of my audiobook, "Nothing Is Promised" in exchange for an honest review.

In order to qualify, please visit my website:http://nothingispromised.com/
and message me with your email address.

Here's a short summary of the book:
"Although many Americans were touched by the tragedy of 9/11 or the deployment of loved ones to a far-away desert region or the crisis of breast cancer surgery and recovery - few dealt with all three at the same time. Even fewer were able to write about the experience in a voice that will help others with similar struggles. New York City native Marjorie Belson has captured the American spirit of recovery and redemption in her first novel by melding such a story in a brilliantly evocative tone while letting realism and her enduring spirit shine on center stage.

Set against the backdrop of September 11, 2001, Nothing Is Promised is a story of loss and personal chaos, which mirrors the dramatic changes a woman, and her city are forced to make during one of the most turbulent times in our nation's history. To survive in a world forever changed, each must reconstruct physically and emotionally."

It is the first person-account of a woman ultimately graced to transform her life and move forward with strength, humor, and wisdom. It is the story of a mother who would gladly endure any pain, if it spared her child and brought him home safely.

Written with brutal honesty, this memoir not only graphically illustrates the medical procedures she underwent, but also the pain and suffering her city endured because of the September 11, 2001, attacks. It vividly describes the gut wrenching awfulness one feels when a loved one is sent to do battle, and demonstrates the choices we can make to renew ourselves and move forward in our lives, though faced with horrific personal challenges. Nothing Is Promised has captured the American spirit of recovery and redemption, in an evocative tone."

To listen to a sample of the book, click this link:http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_h...+

message 42: by Evadeen (new)

Evadeen (EvadeenBrickwood) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Evadeen Brickwood. I write novels mostly about my experiences in foreign lands and interesting topics I research.
My latest novel Singing Lizards by Evadeen Brickwood
Singing Lizards
is set in Southern Africa and has a traditional African aspect.
In 1988, Bridget Reinhold's sister Claire disappears in Botswana under mysterious circumstances. Bridget rushes to Africa and is faced with age-old traditions and political change. Struggling to find her place in rural Africa and an urban society with its many distractions, she is getting no closer to the answers she desperately seeks. Should Bridget enlist the help of witchdoctors to find Claire or just accept and live her new exciting life?
I believe there is an excerpt of the book in my profile, otherwise Singing Lizardsis available as a free read on Wattpad until the end of April.
Happy reading

message 41: by Ajay (new)

Ajay Yadav | 1 comments Hi, I am Dr. Ajay yadav- consultants Anesthetist, Intensivist and pain specialist. I have recently written a novel “FROM WHERE I SEE” in genre of Religion/fiction.
It’s an exploration of intrapersonal, interpersonal, inter-social and inter-religious conflicts and hundreds of pertinent questions like “why in one religion it becomes so easy to get volunteers to blow themselves and others for the sake of religion? Does the religion divides or unites? What precipitates extramarital affairs? Does the immature and wrong interpretation of female emancipation the reason for 13 times rise in divorce rates in last 5 years? The issues are on the backdrop of very interesting murder mystery.
It’s not only a book; it’s the path to revolution, it’s a journey towards utopian world. If you feel that you are open minded, have courage to accept truth and have a desire to change the world then be the part of change.
Good read link: From Where I See
For more details visit- www.fromwhereisee.com
Book is available at amazon.in and flipkart.com

message 40: by Desmond (new)

Desmond Farry (desf) | 2 comments Hi Everyone, I'm Des listing my first book called Did Socrates Get Pissed? It was published early March and already has 3 5* Reviews on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk You can get it FREE on Kindle Unlimited on this link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Did-Socrates-...

I'm also giving away 20 FREE copies of the printed book on Goodreads Giveaways. Enter for a copy before May 1st .. it's already attracted about 130 entries.

Did Socrates Get Pissed? is a black comedy with a lot of laughs which starts in Camp Bastion in Helmand Province with the impending discharge, following Defence Cuts Review, of Fred .... his concerns about the job opportunities available to him in civilian life, his troubled marital life with Chardonnay, his friendship with Wily Sid, the Regiment comedian and can do man, and ends back in the Lower Pennines in the United Kingdom.

Here's Chapter 1 to read

Chapter 1
Helmand
It was during the daily inspection of both the surface and culverts on foot and in Mastiff and Jackal armoured vehicles for improvised explosive devices along Route 601 to Lashkar Gah when Fred’s Army career came to an end.
Not immediately but in a few months when he’d finished his tour of duty.
He was guarding the engineers putting in the roadside irrigation systems from the outward patrol base. In a strange way it reminded him of allotments back home …. with wide swathes each side of the highway now producing vegetables for the local farmers to try and reduce their dependence on producing poppies for the opium trade.
It was then that the text came through.
‘Following the Defence Forces’ Review of manpower requirements your unit is being reduced in size and merged. As a result of this you will be made redundant in three months following your return to the United Kingdom.’
Not totally unexpected … but it still came as a shock.
A career which had brought him to Northern Ireland, Belize, Germany and Cyprus was being brought to an end in the dust and chaos of Helmand.
Back at Camp Bastion he confided his worries about the future to Wily Sid who was a mixture of Private Walker from Dad’s Army and Fletcher from Porridge.
“They’ll probably reduce the Camp Bastion numbers through natural wastage by the Taliban”, he cheerfully told a startled Fred , “ ..or use our Allies” … pointing to the joke warning sign in the Mess .. “ Danger !!! Americans Working Overhead!!!”
His good natured spiv character and ladies’ man rolled into a cheerful wide boy who always seemed to be able to source supplies, official and unofficial with much appreciated tubes of Robert Mugabes to counter the Bastion dust (RM backwards is Yorkshire slang “E Ba Gum, Trebor!”) as well as solving colleagues’ marital problems in their correspondence with wives and partners back in the UK.
He was the cheerful guy who always kept morale going with his black humour.
It was the Christmas visit of the Prime Minister to Bastion and his rousing speech over the turkey and chipolatas to the troops that helped to unleash and sustain it.
“What we do for ourselves dies with us”, said the PM, “ What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. It is the Soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.” … to a rousing Hear !Hear and table banging from the squaddies.
“The PM has fired us all up tonight …I think we'd all kill for the Nobel Peace Prize for him after that speech”, Sid radioed his unit under heavy fire in Kandahar.
After the formalities the PM worked the floor … his easy social manner made conversation and contact with the squaddies relaxed.
He was highly approachable and even took a turn on the turntables as DJ.
“Any music requests … any favoured tracks? “ he shouted into the mike.
“ Can we have the Bee Gees Staying Alive ?”, retorted Sid.
They all laughed at the black humour.
He followed it up by dragging a large box in Christmas wrapping to the top table,
“Finally got the landmine that I’d ordered on eBay .. bloody expensive phew! Cost me an arm and a leg,”
It brought the house down.
Sid’s blagging skills and innate ability to get a copy of the Sun and pass it around the base and produce quality cigars for celebrations … at a price of course … made him popular… all over Bastion.
His knowledge about women had largely been cultivated from Deidre’s Photo Casebook in the Sun.
From this Sid deduced the following about women:
Women spent a lot of time in their under wear.
Women spent a lot of time on the phone.
Women cheated on their partners.
Women cheated with their friends’ partners as well.
It was this philosophy which underpinned his attitudes towards women and cemented his reputation as a womaniser.
He was the oracle on relationship problems within Bastion with the right word or phrase for a letter, text or phone call home.
Fred’s relationship with his partner Chardonnay was a bit like ships passing in the night.
On his last leave they had a short unsuccessful break in Benidorm.
Army married life was always difficult to maintain with frequent absences and separations preventing a settled routine.
By its’ nature, orders gave very little time with women expected to fall in line with Army requirements … their needs and careers etc. were rarely considered.
Fred had met Chardonnay at a local function . He had just joined the Army, she was a door to door sales and party organiser for Avon Calling.
Courtship was rapid.
The wedding soon followed … inevitably Wily Sid was his best man with a speech based on the Essence of Man Avon products.
The wedding dinner was at Fing’s All You Can Eat Chinese Buffet House .. with a short honeymoon in York, then it was straight into cramped married quarters at Catterick.
Chardonnay never really settled into Catterick, she was an urban dweller by instinct and by calling. Door to door selling and organising a sales team to do it needs a high density population to make it work.
Living in isolated rural North Yorkshire with its thinly peopled areas was not suitable for it .. she was used to being her own boss with her own part time team but the only areas where such opportunities , and they were few in number, existed at all were related to farming and farm equipment about which she knew nothing and had no desire to explore either.
Going back to being an employee did not appeal either with the area’s total lack of suitable jobs or things to do.
This deeply bored her and sent her down into a cycle of depression.
The Army does not cater for Army wives … only soldiers.
Army wives are simply the camp followers of their partners, expected to pack up their lives at short notice when new postings come through.
For the bulk of her day, television rather than Fred was her constant companion.
They stated to drift apart before they even got together properly …like ships passing in the night.
He wondered what would happen when he returned to the UK at the end of his tour of duty.
That was in the future.
Helping guard the engineers restoring the water and drainage facilities along Route 601 was the immediate task in the reconstruction of Afghanistan.. an area of about 500 metres wide running along each side of the route which was now well served with irrigation and producing healthy crops helped to produce a less hostile local farming population… who could also see the foundations of schools and health centres starting to be built in the area as well.
Aside from his normal duties Fred had also started to think about his future outside of the Army.
Security and personal bodyguard work were both obvious possibilities … so was being a mercenary.
There was always a demand for troops hardened by recent combat experience for similar conflict situations worldwide.
Watching the engineers working on the drainage systems in Helmand had also brought back memories of his old trade in plastering working with his father who was a small general builder before he’d decided to join the Army.
He smiled to himself at the memories … Fred the Spread.
The final remaining days flew past … suddenly, it was time to say goodbye to Helmand.. and his fellow squaddies at Bastion who were a closer family than he’d known in real life.
Back in the UK at Catterick there was no Chardonnay to meet him on the tarmac … she’d texted him to say she was at Bingo Bingo and couldn’t make it.

message 39: by Marjorie (last edited Feb 10, 2015 08:45AM) (new)

Marjorie Belson (marjoriebelson) | 6 comments Nothing Is Promised
Hello,
I am pleased to announce that I have listed 15, free, signed copies of my memoir "Nothing Is Promised" as a Goodreads giveaway. It is my first work, and a personal best.

Although many Americans were touched by the tragedy of 9/11 or the deployment of loved ones to a far-away desert region or the crisis of breast cancer surgery and recovery – few dealt with all three at the same time. Without being mawkish, I have tried to capture the American spirit of recovery and redemption in my first novel by melding such a story.

Please enter to win, as I look forward to your comments.
Best,
Marjorie

https://www. Goodreads.com/giveaway/show/123726-no... (less)
http://nothingispromised.com/

message 38: by Kenwuan (new)

Kenwuan Meeks | 4 comments Hello, I am Kenwuan Meeks, my novel is TRUSTWORTHY, Eyes Can't See Everything, my must read book, starts with the cover, you will be swept iffy of your feet, look closely. Inside my book is a story about differnt relationships, it will even make you want to look into your own life, this is a great read , Thanks in advance. Trustworthy, Eyes Can't See Everything

message 37: by Nicky (new)

Nicky Gardiner https://www.facebook.com/Nicky.P.Gard...

Please read a Newspapers full page article (above link) about my Ghost book The Showman And The Shade by Nicky P. Gardiner

message 36: by Brian (new)

Brian Aull | 2 comments For those of you interested in the topic, this 2-minute YouTube preview gives you a sense of the new book, The Triad: Three Civic Virtues That Could Save American Democracy:

http://youtu.be/iTqUZkbbZrw

The Triad: Three Civic Virtues That Could Save American Democracy

message 35: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Tyler (TylerBooksInc) Castle Bleu, The Beginnings

Patrick Bleu is the heir to The Bleu Family Castle, but is reluctant to accept this esteemed prize because of the disturbing secrets the castle has housed. He flees his European home, venturing to America in search of solace where he meets and falls in love with Michela. Patrick refuses to tell her much about his past and Michela begins to suspect him of being involved in the disappearances of people who have caused her grief, but the real terror..is just beginning.

Castle Bleu, The Beginnings...now available at

tylerbooks2014.wix.com/monica

Amazon, Barnes and Noble online, and createspace estore.

message 34: by L.V. (new)

L.V. (lvgaudet) | 1 comments Where the Bodies AreThe search for the killer will lead to his dark secret buried in the past, something much larger than a man on a killing spree. Driven by his obsession and haunted by a past he cannot remember, even the killer cannot stop himself from committing the very crimes that torment him.

Do you know #WhereTheBodiesAre ?

Available in ebook format on Smashwords for: epub (Nook, Kobo, Sony Reader, & tablets), mobi (kindle), and pdf (desktop)
Also available in paperback and ebook on Amazon.com and online at Barnes&Noble.com

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

message 33: by Jack (new)

Jack King (JackKing) | 3 comments Hi, I'm new here. My name is Jack and I have 2 new novels just out. Take a look below for more info!

Quest for the Middle Kingdom
Quest for the Middle Kingdom by Jack King

QUEST FOR THE MIDDLE KINGDOM by JACK KING - Scottish Highlander and China story of "betrayal, danger, high adventure, higher calling, and ultimately, beautiful romance” (unique twist, one subplot tells how basketball first came to China!) – Available now at Amazon.com or Barnesandnoble.com

=> To view exciting QUEST Book Trailer, click: youtube.com/watch?v=WafRx2VvqGc

=> To view the QUEST Sizzle Reel, click: youtube.com/watch?v=zjtffmtcWkE

ALSO, SEE . . .

TIME RIDER - Wildertrek by JACK KING – Young Adult adventure fantasy novel - Available now at Amazon.com or Barnesandnoble.com

“A bad present. An unforeseen past. Somehow he’s got to survive each for any future. Life sucks but it’s about to turn worse when a fantastic secret transports TJ back in time to the year 1802 where the world is raw, wild, and filled with relentless danger!”

=> To view TIME RIDER Book Trailer, click: youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ0vXGAPw6g

Sincerely,
Jack King, Author

Time Rider Wildertrek
Time Rider Wildertrek by Jack King

message 32: by George (new)

George Kos | 2 comments **FREE ON KINDLE UNLIMITED** **TOP 100 BESTSELLER IN UK**
Most innovative fantasy since HarryPotter! Immerse yourself into a fantastic world of magic, and discover the secret side of New York! WIZARDS' SECRET SERVICE Available now on Kindle and Paperback!
GRAB A COPY FOR YOUR KIDS! Wizards are among us!
KindleUS ONLY $2.99
Book1 http://amzn.to/1tb2k6Z Book2 http://amzn.to/1rEUVs8
KindleUK ONLY £1.92
Book1 http://amzn.to/1yCgDSi Book2 http://amzn.to/1yCsksb
Paperback US
Book1 http://amzn.to/ZSdd1O Book2 http://amzn.to/1oKCMgY
Paperback UK
Book1 http://amzn.to/1oL1OwB Book2 http://amzn.to/1tsvNut

message 31: by David (new)

David Bell (DavidEFCBell) | 2 comments In case you haven't seen it, Goodreads have a giveaway on 'The Dog Hunters'. The freebie is for the text only edition, but there's heaps of other goodies like signed original artwork from the the Illustrated version, plus postcards and bookmarks. The Dog Hunters Illustrated editionYou can check it out at http://www.davidnbell.com/The_Dog_Hun...

message 30: by John (new)

John Yantiss (jsyantissauthor) | 2 comments Planning for a good read this coming weekend? Curl up with an account of efforts to sabotage intelligence agencies around the world, in Code Name, Erelim (Sherrod Colsne Mysteries Book 2) by John Spencer Yantiss

http://www.amazon.com/Code-Erelim-She...

message 29: by John (last edited Oct 02, 2014 12:29AM) (new)

John Yantiss (jsyantissauthor) | 2 comments Hello fellow Goodreads readers, scriveners, and tome raiders. I am new here, and thought that I would introduce myself by introducing my Sherrod Colsne Mysteries series. When your coworkers ask what you did this weekend you can say you helped to discover the fiend who committed a series of bizarre murders, and witnessed a deep passionate romance flower, and be snuffed out, all for the price of $2.99 so 1-Click your copy NOW!!!!": Murder by Bequest , by me, John Spencer Yantiss, at http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Bequest-..., and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Murder-Beques..., http://www.amazon.in/Murder-Bequest-S..., http://www.amazon.fr/Murder-Bequest-S..., http://www.amazon.de/Murder-Bequest-S..., and more international Amazon sites. Just check out your country's Amazon!

message 28: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Stevenson | 15 comments Shadows of the Lost Child by Ellie Stevenson

**NEW RELEASE!**

Hi everyone

My new partly historical novel Shadows of the Lost Child is now out as an ebook on Amazon.

Would YOU rent a haunted house?

Shadows of the Lost Child is a ghost story, and a tragedy, that happened over a century ago. And a mystery - can you solve it?

When Aleph rents a run-down house, his whole life changes, along with the lives of the people he meets. This is their story.

The Present

Aleph Jones is running away but the house he ends up in turns out to be haunted. Or is it just him? For Aleph has a dark secret that’s changed his life.

Cressida Sewell needs Aleph’s help. Her daughter, Alice refuses to speak and a team of specialists don’t know why. But Cressida has a hidden agenda and Alice knows more than she’s letting on. About Aleph.

Guinevere James is not what she seems. Disguised as Aleph’s business client, she really wants to solve a murder that happened over a century ago. And what about the children who vanished? Aleph and Alice can hear them scream.

The Past

Miranda and Thomas live in poverty. Miranda wants to protect her mother but when she seeks help from friends Ben and Thomas, they set on a path to even more trouble.

Then Tom meets Alice and the past and the present begin to collide, with dangerous consequences.

Author’s Note: Shadows of the Lost Child is set in a fictional city, but draws for its essence on historic York (UK). Those of you who know York might want to see if it resonates with you...

You can find the ebook on Amazon at:

http://tinyurl.com/ks3ksng (US)
http://tinyurl.com/nbofbnv (UK)

Thanks for reading!

message 27: by David (new)

David Bell (DavidEFCBell) | 2 comments The Dog Hunters IllustratedI'm giving away three packages of 1x copy of my hefty new, lavishly illustrated edition of 'The Dog Hunters', including 3 signed prints plus a signed piece of original artwork.

It's a Goodreads giveaway, for one day only on August 5th, so you might want to watch out for it.

In a nutshell, 'the Dog Hunters' is a retelling of the classic legend of Gelert the wolfhound. It's as an epic medieval mystery adventure featuring Prince Llewelyn, Gelert, Feiyan, an enigmatic Chinese girl, and many bizarrely bred dogs. It was already getting great reviews in text only, but now it comes with with over 290 illustrations it's really taking off. More info on the book at http://www.davidnbell.com/The_Dog_Hun...

message 26: by Bill (new)

Bill Blodgett (Billblodgett) | 2 comments Hi all, I'd like to introduce my new book, Unrequited. Unrequited is a mainstream with romantic elements including just a touch of paranormal. Unrequited delves into the idea of what path a man might take if he were to lose his wife written from a man's POV because contrary to popular belief guys have feeling too! ;-) Be prepared to smile, laugh, cry and route for the survival of the main character Joe. Oh and don't forget to break out a box of Kleenex! Unrequited is published by Rebel Ink Press. Here's the back cover blurb:

Unrequited is a story of everlasting love, heartbreak, addiction, and courage of the human spirit to fight back against all odds.

Travel back in time to this peaceful New England community during the simpler days of the post WWII era of 1955, and join Joe on a reminiscent walk down Main Street America to the Five and Dime where he’ll ask Kathy out for the first time. Visit the Connelly’s home as Kathy and her family gather around their potbellied stove and trade stories of family values and of Chester, the fabled family protector.

It’s the picture-perfect family Joe’s always wanted and when he calls on Kathy, he’s welcomed with open arms. When he proposes and she says yes, their future promises them an idyllic lifetime together, but fate breaks that promise and Joe’s plans are turned upside down. Suddenly the peaceful 1950’s become his prison and the keys to his prison are hidden away in the true meaning of life as told to him by Riggs, a elderly black man with roots in slavery. Riggs shares his three truths with Joe as they’ve been handed down for generations, but there’s more to Riggs and his three truths than meets the eye.

There's not enough room to post Chapter one here so I'll upload it to my webpage. www.billblodgett.com.

message 25: by George (new)

George Kos | 2 comments Hi everyone, I'm George A. Kos and I'd like to introduce my novel Wizards' Secret Service: The Key of Radmar (Book 1) Children's Action\Adventure Fantasy.

Here is some description of the book: Twelve-year-old Nora lives in a world parallel to our own. A world where magic is a part of everyday life. Nora’s life is turned upside down the day she discovers that her father is an agent of the Wizards’ Secret Service and has disappeared during his last mission in New York City. Nora will stop at nothing to rescue him—even if it means traveling to the human world.
Nora, along with her best friend Tim, soon find themselves in New York where they unveil secrets beyond their wildest dreams. Clues unfold, revealing information on the mystery of the Key of Radmar, a relic sought after for centuries by the Union of Witches. Can Nora avoid the darkness that lives hidden among human-kind and rescue her father in time?

My book is available for Kindle: for $4.99 in US AmazonUS
Canada $3.32 AmazonCa
£1.86 UK AmazonUK
And for Nook $2.99 US Barnes & Noble
£1.86 UK Barnes & Noble UK

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim | 5 comments Amazing Grace Hello all! Get a free copy of my debut thriller this weekend and the next (28th, 1st, & 2nd) here: http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B006ZPQYNQ
Reviews and comments are always welcome!

message 23: by Casey (last edited Dec 29, 2013 04:49PM) (new)

Casey Bond (goodreadscomcaseylbond) | 6 comments Devil Creek
New NA Romance release! Devil Creek by Casey L. Bond is now live on Amazon for only $2.99! Less than a happy meal! LOL

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Nelson (AuthorYourReality) | 1 comments Happy New Year, Everyone!

Need an EFFECTIVE goal-setting book to get New Year Momentum off like a rocket?

Here's a NEW GOAL SETTING BOOK that really works! You can read the digital copy for free; and I am asking for reviews on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Newest-Secret-I...

Here's where you can get the complimentary Review Copy. (it takes about an hour to come to you)

http://thenewestsecret.com/?landingpa...

Deborah.

« previous 1
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Thus Bound: the story of Tadziu and Marysza (other topics)
Impeding Justice (other topics)
Shattered Earth (other topics)
Out of Time: A Time Travel Novel (other topics)
The Usurper (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Phil Truman (other topics)
Marshall Chamberlain (other topics)