Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2010 Challenge Archive > FAC: Tess Gerritsen (September 2010)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 148 (148 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Aug 24, 2010 12:52PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Tess Gerritsen

Tess Gerritsen left a successful medical practice to bring up her children and concentrate on her writing.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller, was followed by eight more romantic suspense novels. Tess's first medical thriller, Harvest, was released in hardcover in 1996, and it marked her debut on the New York Times bestseller list. Her books have been translated into 31 languages, and more than 15 million copies have been sold around the world. As well as being a New York Times bestselling author, she has also been a #1 bestseller in both Germany and the UK. She has won both the Nero Wolfe Award (for Vanish) and the Rita Award (for The Surgeon.) Publisher Weekly has dubbed her the "medical suspense queen".

Challenge Task: Read one book written by our featured author
Challenge Duration: The whole month

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book you are planning to read.

You must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book.

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Oct 16, 2010 03:30PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments *Participants' List*

A
Sheila - Harvest 9/7 A
Katherine - The Apprentice
Kelley - Body Double or Ice Cold:
Kim - Vanish 9/17 A
Vanessa - Body Double

B
Christine US - The Surgeon 9/30 B
Sallie - The Surgeon 9/30 A
Lindy-Lane - The Surgeon 9/11 A
Valorie - The Bone Garden 9/6 A
BJ Rose - Keeper Of The Bride 9/9 B
Raine - Body Double 9/3 A
Pam - Ice Cold: 9/5 A
Suza - The Bone Garden 9/15
Toni - The Bone Garden 9/25 A
Suzanne - Vanish
colleen - The Surgeon 9/29 C
Bridgit - Vanish 9/30

C
Delicious Dee the book slut - The Surgeon 9/15 B
Sarah~Sehrenity~ - The Bone Garden 9/17 A
Sandy - The Surgeon 9/13 B
Charlotte (Buried in Books) - Under The Knife
Yz - The Bone Garden 9/27 B
Jen ~ theMagicFaerie - The Surgeon
Fran - The Surgeon 9/6 C
Cher - Vanish 9/3 A
Lili - The Surgeon 9/25 B
Nook4b - Presumed Guilty / Keeper Of The Bride 9/5 B
Macwolf01 [Elise:] - Body Double 9/30 A
Tes - In Their Footsteps
Melissa - The Surgeon
Gaijinmama - Harvest
Photojim - The Surgeon 9/6 B
Debbie - The Bone Garden 9/5 B
Madonna - The Surgeon and The Apprentice 9/28
Buggy - Vanish 9/29 A
Mary
Chloe
Sara - The Surgeon 9/21 B
Patricia - The Mephisto Club 9/26
Lisa - Harvest / Life Support
Kimkirt - The Sinner
Nairabell -
Daffodil - The Surgeon 9/10 B
Carla - The Surgeon
Karen - The Surgeon 9/16 B
Mel W - Girl Missing 9/7 B
Joanne - The Surgeon 9/7 B
Mary - Body Double 9/3 A
Drq - Bloodstream 9/25 B
Becky - The Surgeon 9/11 B
Miss - The Surgeon 9/7 A
Jacqui -
Tania - The Surgeon
Melanie - The Surgeon 9/30
------

Lauren

message 3: by Dee (last edited Aug 24, 2010 01:02PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments ohh, I think I have a book by her on my TBR, however, i'm a C...seen her in the store and bought a book, but never read it (too many other books)

oh yeah, I think I have Vanish - but that may change if i find something else at the library

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments Ditto Delicious Dee for me. I'm C-Totally new, but I think I have one of the books on my TBR stack. I need to go home and look, but I'll post when I know what I've got.

message 5: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments I am a C -- never heard of this author but I will try one of her books!

message 6: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 170 comments I won't be doing this month since I don't have any of her books at the moment. But I do watch the TV show Rizzoli & Isles. Does that count? :)

message 7: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Crystal wrote: "I won't be doing this month since I don't have any of her books at the moment. But I do watch the TV show Rizzoli & Isles. Does that count? :)"

LOL...Nice try...but nope.

message 8: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 27 comments I am a B.
I have The Surgeon on my Nook, so I will use that.

message 9: by Sheila (last edited Aug 24, 2010 01:29PM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books. I'm enjoying her new TV show as well. I don't really think of her as a romance author though.

message 10: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments I'll read The Surgeon. Again, I'm a C.

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1073 comments I am going to read The Surgeon...I am a "B"

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 561 comments I'm a C, I've got 3 of her books on my shelves, so I'm going to go with Under The Knife.

message 13: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'm a C, too. Haven't decided yet which book of hers to read first.

message 14: by GinBee (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 24 comments I'm a C, never actually heard of her. I'll try The Surgeon as the library has this one!

message 15: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10940 comments I'm a C- I will try Presumed Guilty / Keeper Of The Bride - I will read one of those titles. My library has it so I will give it a try.

message 16: by Ѽ Cher Ѽ (new)

Ѽ Cher Ѽ  | 168 comments oh, I have never heard of this author and reading some to the summaries of her novels, this is definately not my cup of tea. However, I'm going to give her a try ... expand my horizon. I can definately get my hand on her books at my local library. Therefore ...

I am a C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.

I will be reading Vanish
Vanish (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #5) by Tess Gerritsen

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments question for those who have read her - do her books need to be read in any order...I noticed that Vanished is like book 5...so should I try to get the first one?

message 18: by Lili (new)

Lili | 343 comments I'll start as a C and... actually I had never heard of this author.. this is why I love this challenge.
All right, I'll read The Surgeon since it's supposed to be a great series and this first book has great reviews!

message 19: by Macwolf01 [Elise] (last edited Aug 24, 2010 10:14PM) (new)

Macwolf01 [Elise] (macwolf01) | 1012 comments I'm C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it, I found 2 of her books on my TBR so I'll read Body Double Body Double (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #4) by Tess Gerritsen

message 20: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 10940 comments Sorry to switch it Yz, but I picked upThe Surgeon this evening at the library instead. It got such great reviews I am going to try it- it's totally not my genre but I will give it a go.

message 21: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kebrand0112) In! I really enjoy her novels. I'm an A.

message 22: by Katherine (last edited Aug 24, 2010 03:39PM) (new)

Katherine (kebrand0112) In! I really enjoy her novels. I'm an A. I will be reading The Apprentice.

message 23: by Sheila (last edited Aug 24, 2010 05:43PM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I will be reading Harvest

message 24: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Sep 11, 2010 08:05AM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 452 comments IN! I'm a "B". I'll be reading The Surgeon The Surgeon (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #1) by Tess Gerritsen .

Finished the book 9.10 and I really enjoyed this one. Will definitley read my way through the rest of her Rizzoli & Isles books! I'm now an "A".

message 25: by Tes (new)

Tes I'm in. I always want to try new authors and with never hearing of her before, I'm going to read of them. Her books are different to what I normally read but I'll try it.

I'm C, totally new to her.

I'm going to read "In their footsteps."

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3 comments Ok, I'm in...I'm a C...this is a new author to me, but I have been thinking about picking up one of her books for a while..I will be reading The Surgeon (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #1) by Tess Gerritsen

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (Lillieblue613) | 86 comments I'm in - a B. I'll have to look and then decide as I've read quite a few of books over the years.

message 28: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 85 comments I'm in. I'm category C, never read her before.

I'll read Harvest since it's on my TBR.

message 29: by Kelley (last edited Aug 24, 2010 05:38PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 0 comments I LOVE Tess Gerritsen! Especially the Rizzoli and Isles books. I'm not toally sure I'll participate yet. Depends on the current lineup of audios I have from the library and if I get through those in time to pick up the Gerritsen I have next to read either in CD or on my iPod (Body Double or Ice Cold) during the month.

But I'm most definitely an A if I do participate.

message 30: by Kelley (last edited Aug 24, 2010 05:50PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 0 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "do her books need to be read in any order...I noticed that Vanished is like book 5...so should I try to get the first one?"

Depends on what books you read. If you read one of the Rizzoli and Isles, they are best read in order though each novel (except Book 1 The Surgeon and Book 2 The Apprentice) are stand alone. But the books do occur chronologically and you'll appreciate Jane and Maura better if you read in order. I actually started with Book 6 when I first started the series and I was OK with the story. But after I finished that one I read the ones after that all in order and went back to the beginning to start with book 1. (I only have books 4 and 5 and the newest one left to read.)

I you really want to do a Rizzoli and Isles book and can't get the first one, I'd recommend The Bone Garden. It's not part of the series exactly though it may be listed like it is. I can't remember. Maura does put in an appearance but it's more of a cameo than anything. Jane is not in it.

If you read a book not from that series, as far as I know they are all individual stories and none are connected.

If you want something more romance-y without being a romantic suspense, go with Girl Missing. Tess herself classifies that one as her "bridge" book where she made the transition from romantic suspense to thrillers. I read it earlier this year and it's really good though people familiar with her work can tell it is an older story. There is a love story in it that plays out something like a romance but it is definitely more thriller-ish than romance-y.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Solid C. I don't think I've ever heard of her. I'm pretty sure I've never seen her books. I'm moderately sure I've never even seen those syllables put together like that before.

I'm sure I'll find something.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I have book 5 in the series on my shelf...just wondering...it mentions jane (I think) is pregnant so just wondering if I need the back story...i'll see what my library has (since it is super awesome for getting books)

Kelley wrote: "Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "do her books need to be read in any order...I noticed that Vanished is like book 5...so should I try to get the first one?"

Depends on what books you read. If..."

message 33: by Kelley (last edited Aug 24, 2010 05:52PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 0 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "I have book 5 in the series on my shelf...just wondering..."

I actually was editing my post while you were writing this so go back and reread my post and then if you still aren't sure, let me know. I added some different recommendations depending on what you are looking for exactly.

message 34: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 2757 comments I will give it a try, never read anything by her (making me a C) but - that is the point of some of these challenges - to get us to read outside our normal authors/genres. Have no clue what to read though, I will look through Kelley's list again.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments Got it, Yz. The book I have on my TBR stack it The Bone Garden, so that's the one I'll be reading. I'm a C.

message 36: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 386 comments Crystal wrote: "I won't be doing this month since I don't have any of her books at the moment. But I do watch the TV show Rizzoli & Isles. Does that count? :)"

LOL! I was thinking the same, Crystal. :) Have fun, guys!

message 37: by Valorie (last edited Aug 24, 2010 06:37PM) (new)

Valorie  | 2218 comments I'm a B and I'm going to be reading The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments just realized a couple of these are set in Massachusettes for people doing the monthly challenge...

message 39: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I think all the rizzoli and isles books are in Boston

message 40: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 0 comments Sheila wrote: "I think all the rizzoli and isles books are in Boston"

Some of them go outside the Boston area with the case they are working on. But yes, they do primarily take place in Massachusetts, primarily Boston.

message 41: by Madonna (new)

Madonna | 28 comments I am interested, but C--a new author for me so I'm going to have to look for a book.

message 42: by Kelley (last edited Aug 25, 2010 01:45PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 0 comments I hope my suggestions are helpful for the new to Gerritsen readers. I do so love her books! I met her a month or so ago when she was in town for a book signing and I went all fan girl on her. LOL She was very gracious about it, even in spite of me tripping over my words since I was so excited to meet her. Very fascinating woman and she's SOOO intelligent!

I've not read any of her older romantic suspenses or medical thrillers yet though I have a whole pile of them waiting for me to get to them. So I can't make suggestions on those. But I do know all her recent books really well.

message 43: by Kelley (last edited Aug 24, 2010 07:18PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 0 comments Sheila wrote: "I don't really think of her as a romance author though."

No, she's not a romance author anymore. Though when she first started, she wrote romantic suspense. Harlequin has been reprinting a lot of her older books (that's where she was first published with) as two-in-ones combinations. The Keeper of the Bride combo a few folks have selected for their reads are some of her romantic suspense novels.

message 44: by Kim (last edited Aug 24, 2010 07:54PM) (new)

Kim Galla (catmommie) I'm in, as an A. Vanish

Her books are so intense that I run for a cozy mystery afterwards to unwind my brain.

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Willshire (lillyobrian) | 64 comments I'm in I need to find a book by her in my local library though. so the exact title of the book is TBA

message 46: by Buggy (last edited Sep 29, 2010 12:12PM) (new)

Buggy | 59 comments Thanks for the invite Yz. I'm a C -completely new to this author however I've had Vanish (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #5) by Tess Gerritsen sitting on my TBR shelf for a couple of years now so that's what I'll be reading.

Finished 09/29

message 47: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments Strong B for me - I have Keeper Of The Bride on my shelves, so that's what I'll read unless I pick up the next Rizzoli/Isles book.

message 48: by Mary (new)

Mary  (wimew) | 227 comments maybe. I've heard of her but never read any. I'll have to see what I can find at the library

message 49: by Chloe (new)

Chloe West (chlxee) | 61 comments I'm a C. Not sure yet what book I'm going to read.

message 50: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I've never heard of her either but I love trying new authors. I'll read The Surgeon.

« previous 1 3