Fans of Maps discussion

Getting Started > What have you been reading *and why* - any genre.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 206 (206 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 644 comments Mod
We don't have so many members that conversations need to be limited to being on-topic to avoid chaos, so chime in with anything that you've read recently, are currently reading, or are about to pick up - even if it has nothing to do with travels or maps. :)

I'm using my (son's) Sony e-reader to read some works by Richard A. Lovett that I downloaded from fictionwise.com. I discovered his short story "Bambi Steaks" in an old issue of the magazine *Analog* and loved it, but as you can see his books are related to his other passion, exploring the out-of-doors by muscle-power. Well as it turns out much of his SF integrates that passion for the wilderness - and it's really fun (and thoughtful) stuff. I contacted him and he appreciates hearing from a fan, but doesn't seem to be any big hurry to publish his SF as paper books.

I've read and loved most of Lovett's avl. fiction and one of his fact articles.

Now I'm reading some sf assorted sf anthologies because they take up so much room on my shelf, and can be read swiftly (all I have to do is skip the stories that don't grab me!).

I'm also reading The Moccasin Telegraph and Other Stories because somehow or other I have a bunch of stuff by W.P. Kinsella and yet (although he's interesting) he's not one of my 'favorite' authors. So I'll be trying to work through these collections in a timely manner, too.

message 4: by QuesterMark (new)

QuesterMark | 19 comments Lately (since just before I joined) I've been reading mostly Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon mysteries. I first read one because I saw Ms. Barr on "National Parks: America's Best Idea". I'd heard of her, but not read her stuff. When I found out her stories are set in various National Parks I gave her a try. I like the story so I've kept going. Each of the books includes a map of the relevant National Park and a closeup of the specific area of the story. That's a nice touch. I use flickr to look up photos of specific landmarks.

Oh that is cool that she sets these in Nat'l Parks. My husband has read a couple of books by Barr but hasn't mentioned this aspect. I see that the author herself was a park ranger, and so a 'sense of place' would be important to her. I also see that Firestorm is set near some of us, in NW Nevada.

Oh, and welcome to the group! Please start any topics or make any suggestions you want that have to do with travel, maps, or fans thereof! :)

message 6: by Maicie (new)

Maicie I'm reading Stigmata by Phyllis A. Perry. I picked it up at a garage sale because I liked the title. I just started so I haven't formed an opinion yet.

Maicie wrote: "I'm reading Stigmata by Phyllis A. Perry. I picked it up at a garage sale because I liked the title. I just started so I haven't formed an opinion yet."

I've been following your reviews (of course) and enjoying them. You do like Horror-type stuff, don't you? Do you have the same cover picture, the girl in shadow looking away to her left? If it's not too creepy or gory, and you like it, I think I'll put it on my to-read list.

message 8: by Maicie (new)

Maicie I love horror and good literature. The two don't always go hand in hand. :)

My cover has a woman wrapped up in a quilt. So far it's not creepy or gory. I't pretty good.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 22, 2010 07:34PM) (new)

I'm currently reading Indelible Ink. I picked it up as there is an Australian television programme called the 'The First Tuesday Book Club' that discuss books each month. This book is up for discussion on 5th October. The book is set in Sydney. I am loving reading it as I know all the places mentioned in the book, they are my old haunts. I wonder if non-Sydney-siders would get as much out of reading it as I am?

Well Gail, some of us might be interested, because it would be like armchair-travelling to Sydney. But we'd maybe have to keep asking you about the significance to the story of all the places, if the author assumes familiarity.

I actually think it looks like a very good book, even if a reader doesn't understand all the place or other specifically Australian references.

I'm also very intrigued by this TV show that discusses books. I don't think we in the USA have anything like that except maybe for Oprah - does anybody who watches TV know?

Maicie wrote: "I love horror and good literature. The two don't always go hand in hand. :)

My cover has a woman wrapped up in a quilt. So far it's not creepy or gory. I't pretty good."

I'm shelving it - thanks! :)

I'm enjoying Nation by Terry Pratchett. It's not a Discworld novel - and it's only clever in spots, not humor per se. I think it might be Young Adult. So far it's very interesting - with an almost 'alien encounter' sf feel. Maps would enhance it for sure.

message 13: by Saeyab (new)

Saeyab | 1 comments I'm currently reading Dan Brown : Digital Fortress
This is my 5th Dan Brown book...and slowly i'm finding myself able to figure out the plot, evil guys, etc. while i'm just half way through the book...i'm starting to wonder if his writing is starting to become predictable. Anyone else feel like that too? Any Dan Brown fans around, please don't misunderstand me...

I've not read Dan Brown, but I believe I have overheard readers say that there's a limit to how much of his work one wants to read in a space of time... I know at least one member of our group has read some of his work incl. Digital Fortress....

Fivesenses, I see you're reading The Wayward Bus. I've enjoyed several by Steinbeck but never heard of this. Is location or navigation relevant, or is it just about the characters? I would imagine there's *some* reason they're on the bus - ?

message 16: by Ralph (new)

Ralph McEwen | 46 comments Hey who's poking me? Oh it's you OK then. Yes I have read four Dan Brown books including Digital Fortess and I also think serial reading of the book would wear a little thin. But that's not a big problem since he has only written 5 books.

The Purple Cloud - because the print in the copy I own is so small that if I don't read it soon I'll be too old and blind to!

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie | 6 comments Dan Brown is rather predictable. Exciting, yes, since he keeps his protagonists on a knife-edge throughout, but ultimately predictable.

At the moment, I'm finding I keep going back to archaic literature, and I really don't know why. I recently read the 1544 translation of The Golden Asse and Edward Bulwer-Lytton's Night and Morning. (I love Project Gutenberg!)

Heh - good for you Julie. :) M.P. Shiel and Jules Verne are archaic enough for me & my ability to understand the writing.

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie | 6 comments I've found myself surprised....I was discouraged by Shakespeare, but I've learned that other writers of the same era are much more readable. And 18th century writing is very readable, even without standardized spelling.

I'll probably try someday - I do plan to get some Project G. stuff down to our e-reader someday. Thanks for the encouragement.

message 22: by Yvensong (new)

Yvensong | 33 comments I see a few more books to add to my hope-to-find-time-to-read list. :)

Currently I'm reading Aurora Wolf Literary Journal of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Besides loving SciFi and Fantasy, I'm reading this because a friend of mine has a story in it.

I'm also reading The Pit Dragon Trilogy by Jane Yolen. It sounded interesting, I like dragons and it's a BookCrossing book that's been on my shelves for awhile.

Gypsies. Memoir of a child actually running away from home (with parents' permission!) and living w/ the Rom for 10 years. Mostly pre-WWII - but in a sense still valid because the nomads (according to Yoors) live almost wholly in the present, w/ little history and little foresight. Lots of interesting ideas, for example just now I learned (according to the author, again) that there's actually no such thing as a King of the Gypsies.

I'm reading it because of the mess in France; trying to gain a little insight. Yoors says that even when he was travelling with them France gave them the most trouble with identity papers and visas.

Oddly enough, for a book about nomads, there isn't really much of what I would consider would qualify this as a travel book. No map, very few place names, no goal....

message 24: by Yvensong (new)

Yvensong | 33 comments C, let me know what you think of the book on a historical value. I need to find a few pre-WWII books that aren't too dry for research.

message 25: by Yvensong (new)

Yvensong | 33 comments I just started reading X-Rated Blood Suckers, well, because I needed to have a gritty vampire detective following up some murders in my life, what with having normal people filling my head most of the day for my NaNoWriMo story. :)

Even though there's no maps in the book, it's been kind of fun following him through the streets of Los Angeles. The map is in my head, and the writer's done a good job bringing back the seaminess of the underbelly of L.A. and the tree-lined streets of the San Fernando Valley.

I don't know whether Yoors is credible. And he really does focus just on the Gypsies, so we don't get much of the historical context. Sorry. I'll think on it a bit though.

Hmm... - Yvensong writing a story about 'normal' people, eh? ( )

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading Parrot and Olivier in America for a group read. While there is no map in this book it is covering a bit of the globe. France, England and I am now on a boat to America. 200 pages in and I am finding it a funny reasonably light easy read. The characters are delightfully colourful from the aristocratic French lordling Olivier to the mischievous servant Parrot.

I've seen a few people talking about Parrot... - it does look interesting.

I'm trying to savor a batch of Unshelved, Vol. 1 comic anthologies. Opposite of travel books, as they take place 99.95 in a library, but so much fun. My 14 yo son keeps laughing out loud, too.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 29, 2010 02:43PM) (new)

There is a map in Parrot & Olivier. It's a beautiful early map of Australia complete with the mythical inland sea. My apologies for the bad image I couldn't find a copy on the net. :)

description

Oooh, tempting... thanks for sharing....

message 31: by Madeline (last edited Nov 30, 2010 07:28PM) (new)

Madeline | 38 comments Hello! First post, I'm sure there's a "Hi My Name Is" thread but I didn't look for it yet. Thought I'd just jump in. Hope you don't mind.

Today I spent hours reading all about Gypsies (specifically the Roma's) and their history in Europe because of your post here Cheryl. Fascinating and heart breaking. Especially in regards to their treatment during and since the holocaust (or Porajmos as they call it, which translates to Devouring, strong image there). I can't believe the treatment of these people is so glossed over! Really, just wow.

At any rate, my reading has been fairly light lately. Brideshead Revisted, Which I liked until the end which kind of upset me. Dead Until Dark which was good fun, and being a True Blood fan, gratifying. Now I'm reading The Princess Diaries, which I regret choosing because I realize after Hillbilly vampires as my friend calls them, I actually wasn't in the mood for another light read and probably won't appreciate it like I might have if I was.

Haha, so I've written a novel, but you did say what and why! So there you go!

Welcome Madeline! Great post - I'm sincerely glad for contributions!

We have at least one other vampire fan on the list... Dead Until Dark

I had heard that the holocaust was directed not just at the Jews, but also the Roms, and homosexuals. I'd like to read more about the experience of those others some day.

message 33: by Yvensong (new)

Yvensong | 33 comments C, There's a book -- The Pink Triangle which I've been told is an excellent resource regarding homosexual treatment during the holocaust.

It wasn't at my library, but there's a copy on swap... oops, no longer, as I've requested it! :) Thanks Yvensong!

I'm reading The Greengage Summer because I've liked some of Rumer Godden's juveniles. This one's a little odd, though. Reminds me a bit of the ones by Bill and Vera Cleaver - written in a more adult style, with mature ideas, absolutely no didactism, almost no humor. Have any of you read it? -- The Greengage Summer

message 36: by Madeline (last edited Dec 08, 2010 03:56PM) (new)

Madeline | 38 comments I've not read it. It does sound a little like a french movie I once had to watch in high school french. I wonder if it's the same one. That movie was... rambling.

I'm now reading Love in the Asylum: A Novel which is good so far. It has this extra side to it where it's reaching back into the past of another inmates history, it's eerie and sad. I'm diggin it.

I was definitely in the mood for something more mature after Princess Diaries. I think I've successfully killed my mood for teen fiction for the time being.

Then you won't want to read what I'm reading:

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians. Heard about it here on GR. My son read it first and said it's worth reading but not great, and not funny. I'm finding it kinda funny, I think. The conceit that it's a true memoir is a little off-putting I think.

Actually, I loved The Princess Bride and The Little Prince, in part because of that conceit. Maybe Sanderson just doesn't have the knack to convince me to lose myself in the suspension of disbelief, or maybe I've grown too cynical... or maybe I just have to finish the book and then judge!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting, I have been meaning to read one of Bandon Sanderson’s books. He was commissioned to finish the Wheel of Time series on behalf of Robert Jordon. He has done an excellent job. (well I thought so anyway). So I purchased his book Elantris, I was hoping it would be as good as his efforts with TWoT.

I am currently reading Kafka on the Shore which I'm finding fascinating. Not a YA book by any means, but could easily have been if the sex was taken out. Is it just me or do all modern books have to have some hanky panky in them? Until recently I had really only been reading classics & sci-fi I wasn't used to reading raunchy bits in books.

sex and/or gore - I'd rather just read a good story, and let the 'exciting' bits be implied...

Sanderson is probably usually fine. I got to the end of Alcatraz and still don't think it's worth me putting up the link for y'all here, but that was because of the gimmick aimed at 'tweens.

I'm currently reading a lot of juveniles from the library to get them off my wishlist here, and I'm working (playing?) my way through the Summer Challenge books on Aussie Readers (great group!). Next up, I Saw Esau: The Schoolchild's Pocket Book.

message 40: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 38 comments I've been reading An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England. Which could have been wonderful, based on the premise, but the main character is an infuriating "bumbler" by his own description. How many times can you truly bumble things to death before you go, "Hey, Maybe I should think this kind of crap through a little better." The only way I might like this book in the end is if the guy makes a major breakthough in that direction.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I have finished reading Kafka on the Shore, there was a bit of sex and a bit of gore but the overwhelming story made it well worthwhile. The basic story is of a fifteen year old boy coming of age in a most unusual way.

I'm now reading The Thief. This book came highly recommended, it is a fun read but the humour is a little juvenile. The dialog is somehow not quite gelling for me. I keep expecting the thief to declare he's actually female. It is a YA book so perhaps I am being a little unfair.

message 42: by Madeline (last edited Dec 21, 2010 04:06PM) (new)

Madeline | 38 comments Oomph I finished reading Arsonist, and although the main character improved in an important way, the story didn't. Ugh.

Now I'm reading The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories. I loved Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, so I've had this waiting patiently on my shelf for a bit. Just like the novel I'm find her writing so easy to slip into. Calming and engaging.

Hmm. I didn't find JSMN easy at all. I suspect I approached it with an inappropriate set of expectations or something. Ladies looks interesting though.

H]as anyone here read Middlesex? I gave it up on p.54.

My son loved The Thief, and the next three when he was 13. Did your daughter read it? I wasn't impressed enough to continue - I don't like political intrigue at all and the rest of the ideas and characters weren't enough to work through the assignations and assassinations, etc.

message 45: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 38 comments I've never read Middlesex Cheryl, I remember choosing not to add it to my list, but I can't remember exactly what I decided disinterested me.

I finished Ladies of Grace Adieu and it was wonderful. Each story spoke very well for itself. For me personally I find that particular English approach to fairies and magic quite appealing, but I can see how others might have found aspects of Norrell and Strange difficult, it was certainly long and leisurely paced.

message 46: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 38 comments I've been working my way through Dracula lately. However, I've begun to wonder, did the movie makers even read the book? None of the characters are as I expected, they're fortunately far better developed and I'm really enjoying it, but like Frankenstein, I'm realizing that these two stories have been grossly misrepresented by the 20th century.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Madeline wrote: "I've been working my way through Dracula lately. However, I've begun to wonder, did the movie makers even read the book? None of the characters are as I expected, they're fortunately..."

Yes you think you know the story but the reality is a far cry from the 20th Century representation. Frankenstein in particular, it nearly broke my heart reading the tragic tale of the monster.

That's so true.

message 49: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 38 comments I was really surprised with Frankenstein, no lightning or castle. No Igor. These things are our cheesy cultural stereotypes! (I really was expecting cheese haha) So strange to instead find such a thoughtful and tormented story of men made monsters. At least I now see why they would inspire such B movie madness. Worth the obsession, despite the lack of accuracy.

Well said - I hope that you included those thoughts in your review!

« previous 1 3 4 5