Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 BR & Challenges > The Moonstoone Narratives 5-Epilogue

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) (last edited Aug 24, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) We will be commenting here on the Narratives of 5 through the Epilogue. If possible please post what narrative you are writing of.

message 2: by Meera (new)

Meera I am done with the book. ***SPOILERS***
I did not see the opium thing as part of the solution coming at all. I was confused as to how Franklin could have stolen the diamond without him sleep walking. I knew that he had been suspected. Of course once it was clear that he had not really stolen the diamond, I thought it would have been Godfrey who had ended up actually stealing it since he seemed to be in need of money. He was really the only other suspect left.

I liked the way it ended. I had wanted the diamond returned to it's rightful place. Of course, murder hadn't been necessary. The priests could have just tied up Godfrey.

message 3: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments Finished Narrative 5, the thief is unmasked. I sort of suspected it may have been Godfrey. Very fitting considering Collins' dislike for religion. There's not much left to the book, so I'll probably finish it today.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) MG wrote: "I am done with the book. ***SPOILERS***
I did not see the opium thing as part of the solution coming at all. I was confused as to how Franklin could have stolen the diamond without him sleep walki..."

Good for you MG! Did you like the book overall? I am almost done, just dragging myself along. I seemed to remember liking it better the first time I read it in high school. I really think that age effects ho0w you feel about books and your opinions often change in a rereading. Not to say, I didn't like it, just not what I remembered.

message 5: by Shay (new)

Shay | 284 comments I'm done. I like your point, Marialyce, about how age affects perceptions. I would say that I liked it better the first time I read it, but I think it's a better book now. I really appreciate now how well written it is and how revolutionary it was. It's interesting that the narratives are set up so that we don't know any more than the narrator (Blake). I read a lot of mysteries and that is kind of atypical- usually the reader has the most information about the mystery. It's so technically perfect in many ways and yet, I prefer Dickens. (Read Drood and you'll see how infuriating that was to Collins.)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I have that on my list, Shay. In fact I have a library copy upstairs that I may begin soon.

message 7: by Meera (new)

Meera I did like the book overall Marialyce. I think what I like about Collins style is that it is very easy to read for being a classic. It feels very modern. I have read The Woman in White which is darker and I might have liked that a little bit more because it was my first Collins. I have to say that The Moonstone has been sitting on my shelves since January and this buddy read gave me the push I needed to read it. So that was nice.

I think age does matter in what you like. I loved To Kill a Mockingbird in high school but when I reread it couple of years ago, I still liked it but not as much. I reread The Great Gatsby this year and I didn't hate it as much as I did in high school.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I finished the book as well. I really like the full circle concept that ended it with Betteredge having the last word....and of course there was Robinson Crusoe's word and prophesy as well. Can't say I was surprised by Geoffrey though. I did suspect him after the Rachel affair.(but that was much further into the book then 100 pages! :))

I am so glad we have read this book together. I think it is a great example of what make the classics classic.

Thanks everyone for joining us and making this another great buddy read!