Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Series: now useful for comics?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (last edited Aug 24, 2010 11:09AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments What do people think of this idea: In addition to tracking the series information for trade compilations, we could use the series field to indicate which individual comics issues are contained within collections. Even though individual comics issues aren't part of the database as books, series listings for the individual comics series would enhance the books which collect them.

For example:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

This is clearly (Batman: New Gotham #2) as its primary series and should probably have (Batman) and/or (DC Comics) as its franchise series, but it could also have (Batman #issue 587) (Robin #issue 86) (Birds of Prey #issue 27) (Catwoman #issue 90) (Nightwing #issue 53) (Detective Comics #issue 754) (Batman: Gotham Knights #issue 13). When the series information was unlinked there was less than no reason to put this in series format as opposed to putting it in the description field, but now this could become an incredibly useful resource.

I think that it does work with GR's focus on books precisely because most comic book databases focus on individual issues; comic book readers like me who prefer to read in trades tend to scramble for this information and find it lacking in particularly the areas where GR is strong: multiple editions, purchase/swap sources, and trade-based reviews. If I could look at a series listing of, say, Catwoman, and have at a glance all of the trades which collect Catwoman issues? That would be exactly what I want from a book site which includes comics trades.

It'll be a lot of librarian work to set it up, of course, but -- well, the intersection of GR librarians and comic book fans is likely to have that enthusiasm, yeah? :)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments Interesting idea. What would you do for more general comics collections though? For example, Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman is the first Sandman "book" and thus "The Sandman, #1". But the book itself is really an omnibus collection of comics and therefore represents "The Sandman, #1-8" at the individual comic level. How do you distinguish between these?

message 3: by Cait (last edited Aug 24, 2010 12:05PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Perhaps a prefix or suffix on the series name would be a good idea, to distinguish between the series of trades and the series of issues which are numbered differently. (Sandman #1) (Sandman: Single Issues #issue 1-8)? Would that double "issue" be redundant?

My initial thought is that we should probably try to put something in the numbering box for single issues even if the series name makes it clear, but I could entertain arguments on that score....

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Probably more collections would need this series differentiation than wouldn't; I deliberately picked a complicated example here, but something like this is the same scenario, where the single issues and the collections have the same series name.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I wonder if it should go the other way. The comic series gets the base name (since it had it first) while the book collection gets the amended name. Something like (The Sandman, #1-8) and (The Sandman [Omnibus:], #1) or (Birds of Prey, #56-61) and (Birds of Prey (Collection), #3)

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments The individual runs may have had it first, but I think GR likes the book runs better. :)

I would argue that the "cleaner" name should go with the more important object, the book, for several reasons: one, most series are already set that way; two, new books are likely to be imported that way; and three, it makes the books the central objects.

message 7: by Cait (last edited Sep 01, 2010 09:06AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I did up three small series this way (I'm trying to start small) with naming convention "{Comics series name} (Single issues)" and the standard description:

Collected as books in the series {name of the book series as a link to the series page}.

Note: single issues of comic books are not listed individually on Goodreads, but are listed as parts of collections.

Then the book series has the following in its description:

Collects issues of {name of the comics series as a link to the series page}.

Examples:
* Teen Titans Go!
* Tiny Titans
* The Batman Strikes

Thoughts?

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 158 comments That looks pretty good. It might be useful to have the series info like that, and the information at the top works.

Here's a thought though. Do we need two lists for each series, where the actual books are identical? I thought maybe you could combine them, and for the book #, maybe have something like this:

book 5; issues 21-25

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments That does look cleaner for simple series like this! It won't handle the general case, but it would be a good format for small, self-contained series, I agree.

message 10: by Cait (new)

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 158 comments Yes, exactly. That looks good.

message 12: by Cait (last edited Sep 01, 2010 03:40PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I've added this information to the thread collecting policies for the manual, here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Preludes & Nocturnes (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Neil Gaiman (other topics)