Amazon Kindle discussion

How does the number of books available on Kindle compare?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments Specifically, to other readers? I read recently that there were over 630,000 books available on Kindle. How many can you get through ibooks, Kobo, Nook etc?

Best to you!

message 2: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I don't even bother to try to keep track of actual numbers, but I do occasionally try to recommend books to my friends who have the Nook. The ebooks have either not been available for Nook, or are significantly more expensive than the Kindle versions.

I'm sticking with the Kindle.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments i'm not sure...but i think over on the kindle boards on amazon, Bufo Calvin is tracking...especially when people try to argue that Nook has more books because B&N counts all the freebies whereas Amazon doesn't

message 4: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Chase | 3 comments I think Kindle has more titles, but they certainly seem to have a larger range of titles and a lot of classics that are not yet in the public domain.

J.R. Chase
Author of the mystery thriller Chicago Squeeze.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments I am new to this whole iread gig, It will never replace the feel of pages in my hand, but it is great for that grab and go, and I find it overwhelming the amount of books Kindle has to offer, I just go by the suggestion list Amazon provides when picking a new book.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (zaratyst) | 3 comments Stephanie wrote: "I am new to this whole iread gig, It will never replace the feel of pages in my hand, but it is great for that grab and go, and I find it overwhelming the amount of books Kindle has to offer, I jus..."

Not saying there's anything wrong with this, everyone selects new books in their own way. I'm just curious though, are you overwhelmed by all the selection of normal books if you go into a bookstore, or is there something about the electronic format that makes it harder to deal with than regular books? I'm always interested in the way people's minds work! Thanks.

message 7: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I download a lot of books and tuck them away for later reading, then read them as the mood strikes me, especially when the books are free promotional copies. I've discovered a couple of new authors that way.

I am not overwhelmed by wanting them all. It's just easier than what happens to me in physical bookstores, where I have a hard time leaving without spending $75 - 100.

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Just remember, the counts are only from the official sites - Amazon, B&N, Borders, etc. It doesn't count books available from other retailers - Fictionwize, AllRomanceeBooks, Smashwords, plus the publisher's websites. My romance books aren't available on Amazon's website, but they're able to be purchased from the publisher's website in a Kindle format.

message 9: by Robert (last edited Aug 26, 2010 11:14AM) (new)

Robert | 58 comments Actually, it seems I was wrong on my original estimate. Kindle is showing nearly 680K books at this time: http://www.amazon.com/Books-Kindle/b?...

Number of books available is important to me. But I would think Kindle has the highest availability of any ereader.

message 10: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) If availablility is important, I recommend doing a search in the genres you like to read, the books you read in the past 6 months and plan to read in the next 6 months. Are these available on the ereaders you are considering? I did this last year when shopping for an ereader and hands down Amazon had more in what I was reading at a better price. I recently redid my experiment in June, same results. But perhaps there are genres and books better represented by B&N, Borders or Sony. :)

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments Zaratyst wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I am new to this whole iread gig, It will never replace the feel of pages in my hand, but it is great for that grab and go, and I find it overwhelming the amount of books Kindle h..."

I think it is because I am still new at figuring out how it works. I can just walk into a book store, look at the sign and know where to go to look for a book,most of the time, I just go to the suggestion table or look at the most sold list and go from there. Like I said, that is what I haven been doing with Kindle, I get frustrated when I start digging into the different sections if I dont know what it is that I want to read.

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments I think Kindle/ereaders provide a different kind of ease of use. You don't have to travel to the book store and can download/sample books immediately. That said, it is nice to visit a comfy book store filled with books you love. I find both experiences to be pleasant, if the ereader is a bit easier for me.

message 13: by Bakari (new)

Bakari | 22 comments Robert wrote: "Actually, it seems I was wrong on my original estimate. Kindle is showing nearly 680K books at this time: http://www.amazon.com/Books-Kindle/b?...

Number of books available is i..."

I would think Kindle has the highest number as well. I’m not sure it matters, though. I think what matters is that e-reader devices and apps should be able to accept nearly any format of e-books that are on sale.

I’ve been a loyal Amazon customer for years, but I think it’s kinda limiting that their e-books can only be read on their device and app. If I purchase an e-book, it should be available in various formats. O’Reilly Books does this, and I think that should be the future of e-book publishing.

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments Bakari wrote: "Robert wrote: "Actually, it seems I was wrong on my original estimate. Kindle is showing nearly 680K books at this time: http://www.amazon.com/Books-Kindle/b?...

Number of books..."

Do you think there's a chance they'll go no-DRM?

message 15: by Amber (new)

Amber Adamchuk (celticstorm76) This site might help answer your question...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/tec...

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments Amber wrote: "This site might help answer your question...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/tec..."

Thanks Amber! Huge help :)

message 17: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
That article is a year out of date, so it's numbers aren't going to be accurate.