Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > [Sept & Oct 2010] The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments The official thread for the September/October Group Read.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I need to find a copy of this book!
If anyone has any idea where on the web I can find it, your assistance would be greatly appreciated! :)

message 3: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Wow... I guess I was doing some weird copy & paste things yesterday and left "To Hold The Crown" in the title... sorry. Might be a little easier for you to find now Niecole. Two days left until vacation so you'll have to bear with me and my fried little brain!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL no problem

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Totten (katherine42) I just bought a copy at Borders and I'm ready to read!

message 6: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) I read this earlier this year. Even though it got mixed reviews, I still enjoyed it.

message 7: by Sophiene (new)

Sophiene Just a question. Do we keep a schedule with the group read or do we just read on our own and discuss after?
Are spoilers allowed if you're farther on in the book then someone else?

Are there any other rules to think about?

Thanks,
Sophiene

message 8: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (last edited Aug 25, 2010 03:57PM) (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Hi Sophiene,

Feel free to post whenever and however often as you want. If there are spoilers in your post, just add a heading at the top saying where you are in the book (chapter, page number, etc.) and then go crazy :)

Thanks for asking!

message 9: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments So I started reading this, and decided I wanted to The Crimson Petal and the White first LOL (it was calling my name louder)

message 10: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Hmm... it's probably better, too! I'm sorry everyone... I love some of PG's books but this one, for me, just didn't live up to her other work :S

I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks about it though. It was a while ago that I read it (when it first came out I think) so maybe you'll even get me feeling a need for a reread... although at the moment I hope not! lol

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments Wait, so PG Has "The Other Boleyn Girl" and "The Other Queen" as two different titles for two different books, right? I have 8 days before vacation, so brain is very fried as well and want to be sure I'm straight on the title before I head to the bookstore - thanks! :)

message 12: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) Paula, correct. They are 2 different books.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I found the book! Started reading it, but its not capturing me as some of her other books do. Also, I dont have a particular interest of Mary Queen of Scots.

Does PG have any books on Mary Tudor? (Daughter of KA)

message 14: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments No, she doesn't. Or at least not specifically about her. I think it goes like this for her Tudor books...

The Constant Princess ~ Katherine of Aragon
The Other Boleyn Girl ~ Mary Boleyn
The Boleyn Inheritance ~ Anne of Cleves, Katherine Howard & Jane Rochford
The Queen's Fool ~ Set in King Edward's reign (Robert Dudley, Mary Tudor, Elizabeth I, etc.)
The Virgin's Lover ~ Elizabeth & Robert Dudley

Is that right?

message 15: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 66 comments Yup Jennifer. Isn't The Queen's Fool set in all three of Henry's children's reigns? I guess it'd be the closet to a book on Mary I, as she is in it a lot.

But I'm like you Jennifer, I didn't really care for this book. There was something weird about it.

message 16: by Kate. (new)

Kate. | 173 comments I couldnt stand the way she was written like a damsel in distress !

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, I would like to read more about Mary.

Kelly, Kate and Jennifer, I agree, I cant get going! With the BI and TOBG I got going very quickly and loved it.

I tried reading the Queens Fool also once but could not get going, the same with The Constant Princess

message 18: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments I had trouble with those ones too, Niecole.
As I've said repeatedly, loved TOBG and TBI but the rest just didn't live up to those ones. But TOQ... man, that one killed me. I remember having to force myself through it and then setting it aside and giving it a dirty look. LOL. My books and I have a strange relationship...

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Hehe I know how you feel!

I enjoyed The White Queen as well... I dont know how she does it, writing one book that is brilliant and the next is an awful mess!!!!

So while we're on the topic of good and bad books, any good books you can recommend?

message 20: by Jennifer, Mod #5 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 951 comments Hmmm... what subject are you thinking of?

message 21: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) Like Jennifer and Kelly mentioned The Queen's Fool covers Mary's reign. It is about a Jewish Fool who first serves Mary, then Elizabeth. I loved that book!

message 22: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) | 11 comments I read this book (The Other Queen)last year. I enjoyed it. I've also read the others listed EXCEPT for The Constant Princess, The White Queen and The Red Queen: A Novel. Hope to get to those 3 in the near/not so near future. I only have approximately 100 books on my TBR bookcase. :)

message 23: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I couldn't stand The Constant Princess. And I'm having a hard time getting into this book (part of the reason why I'm readin another one LOL). I don't have much interest in MQoS either. BUT I will read it and I will get through it LOL

message 24: by annie (new)

annie (tellsnoemotion) | 147 comments I bought this book when it first came out because I was still on a high from TBI and TVL. I couldn't get through it at all but I've been considering giving it another and since it is a group read, I guess I shall be doing that!

message 25: by Kate. (new)

Kate. | 173 comments I recently started on The Queens Fool. I couldnt get into it. Hopefully when i return to it someday it will be more engrossing...
I didnt love The Constant Princess either Aly.
PG can be hit and miss. Most of them are fun though.

message 26: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Rats... if Jennifer didn't like TOQ I may not either. Our book tastes are so right on sync.

message 27: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (avery123) | 4 comments I actually really enjoyed the Constant Princess. I also read TBI, TOBG and the White Queen. No complaints about any of them. I have the Queen's Fool, but I haven't started it yet. Hopefully I'll enjoy the Other Queen, like the rest of them.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 1 comments I already have the book and it's large print! Snagged it at a library sale awhile back. Looking forward to the discussion!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure what to think of this book...
I am slow at starting it, and I'm afraid that I might not like it! I have a few of PG books, but some I just cant bring myself to read...

message 30: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I'm slow at starting it too Niecole. I completely understand!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah I'm so glad there is someone else like me :)
I was starting to think there was something wrong with me hehe

message 32: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments Got the book, and ironically, just joined another group that is reading The Other Boleyn Girl in September, so will need to focus to keep them straight!

I won't be joining right away - still struggling through "To Hold the Crown" and its editorial issues :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Paula The Other Boleyn Girl is a great read! It was the first of PG books that I read and I loved it, I think thats why I was so dissapointed in some of the other work

message 34: by Colleen, Mod #3 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 1106 comments Paula, you must be talking about Everbody's Choice :)

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather (quidcogitas) | 90 comments OK, this morning I finished the other book I was reading, and have now finally started The Other Queen! I'm only on like... page two or something, at the moment, though.

message 36: by Paula (new)

Paula | 85 comments Colleen wrote: "Paula, you must be talking about Everbody's Choice :)"

Yes, I am! :) Just joined as they look like they read some interesting books.

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather (quidcogitas) | 90 comments On about page 50, and I can definitely already say that I don't think I'll like this one as much as TOBG. I don't know how well I like the first-person narration in this particular story, and I think PG is switching perspective a bit too often.

On the other hand, she does do a good job of creating tension in the story, which was one of my favorite things about her writing style in TOBG as well.

The jury is still out, this early in the book, on how I feel about her characterizations of particular characters. I've never been a big fan of MQoS, and my opinion of Elizabeth I wavers, so I'm interested to see how PG develops the characters.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm struggling with The Other Queen :(

message 39: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 854 comments I am too. I also have had a LOT of school reading to do all of a sudden, so all my recreational reading has gone by the wayside. It doesn't help that I had no interest after page five LOL. I just need to give this book some time. Once I get into it, I'll be ok. I hope.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I know what you mean, my exams are coming up and the time for reading is getting shorter, but I just have to start reading, but I feel the same as you, after the first couple of pages I dont want to read it anymore

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather (quidcogitas) | 90 comments I'm about 100 pages in, now, and I think it's better than it was at the beginning but... there are still a lot of chapters where nothing is actually happening and people are just musing about things. That's OK in small doses, but there seems to be a lot of it going on in this book so far.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok I'm going to trust you Heather... its just that in the beginning I cant really make out who hates who and all that :)

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather (quidcogitas) | 90 comments Ha ha, I feel you on that, Niecole. All I know for sure is that everyone except Bess hates Cecil!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

So I know this might be a silly question, but which one of the queens was said to have killed her husband?

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooh ok, that helps a little hehe, its very confusing in the beginning, especially if you dont know to much of the history...

message 46: by Heather (new)

Heather (quidcogitas) | 90 comments Well, Elizabeth I never had a husband, so by default it's Mary Queen of Scots who was rumored to have killed hers. He was definitely killed, but the question at hand was whether MQoS was involved in the plot.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I know she never had a husband, but the way the people talk in this book confuses me so much that I was doubting that :)

Thanks for clearing that up Heather... how far are you now?

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather (quidcogitas) | 90 comments I'm on pg 106, but I'm about to go curl up with my book until I fall asleep, so I'll get a bit farther tonight. Tuesdays and Thursdays I have class after work, so I don't get a whole lot of reading done on those days. But I totally feel your pain on the confusion. For me, a lot of the confusion is coming from the point of view changing with each chapter, so sometimes I find myself losing track of who's talking and who they're talking about!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I know!!!!

Have you read The Boleyn Inheritance? There the point of view changes as well, but its MUCH less confusing than this book...

Lucky you, going to bed, I'm at work :(

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm getting into it now, Aly all I can say is just hang tough, it gets better after a while...

« previous 1