Filmmaking Community discussion

Reveiws!

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Since we're all interested in movies, it seems like we should have an offical place to comment on them!
Sadly, I don't get to see movies in theaters very often (transportation issues) but I could say what I think about the trailers, since they are the things that help you decide to see the movie.
It doesn't have to be an new film, either, if you've got some old favorites. :)

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Oh, wow, this is a great idea! I'm sorry I've just realized you posted this thread! I'm going to round up some reviews of things I've seen recently and start posting here - :D

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That alright; I'm just to have people to take to. I'll have to try and think up some reviews myself; I think that there are supposed to be some good movies coming out this fall.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments I actually just saw something on Yahoo about the fall movies. Some I'm pretty excited to see, mostly I'm eagerly awaiting Harry Potter and I've got my fingers crossed that Tangled will be good!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes, I can't wait to see Harry Potter, but I know that every theater is going to be packed for the first week!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Probably. I don't know yet if I'll try to go the first week, or wait for the second... I usually go to the first showing of the day (not opening day, but the earliest play time) since they are typically the least crowded... I've never been to a midnight showing though.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Have you seen Inception?
I just saw it last week and was very impressed! I think there's a lot there to analyze from a screenwriting stand point, but I think it's a movie I'll have to see about three times before I can even begin to figure out how they did it! ;-D

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

If I went to a midnight show, I'd be afraid that I'd fall asleep during the first quiet part in the movie. ;)

No, I haven't seen Inception, but it looks kind of mind-boggling! The seeing it three times thing sound pretty accurate, though.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Lida and Jamie wrote: "If I went to a midnight show, I'd be afraid that I'd fall asleep during the first quiet part in the movie. ;)"

Haha! Me, too!! And I so want to ENJOY a movie and really soak it all in!! :)

Yeah, I wasn't planning to see INCEPTION because I thought it looked too confusing. And, well, my brain did sort of hurt by the end, but in a good way ;>

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

It must have had some really impressive stuff. Too bad I've only seen the trailers, and it seems like trailers always end up leaving something out.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Yes, this is true. I've recently found myself trying to critique trailers. It's interesting which ones really grab you and which ones don't. Then it's so frustrating when they are misleading. Like, what looks like a comedy is actually a drama...

Do you have a "favorite films" list? Mine is so long...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Most of the Disney movies--I love the animation when it's hand-drawn. I'll go through periods where I don't watch them, and then I'm always surprised that the plots can be so mature.

Did you see the new Harry Potter trailer? I can't wait for the movie to come out! It looks like it's going to be a lot better than the sixth one; I thought that one was a bit heavy on the subplots.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Ditto. I love that the Disney films can resonate across generations and ages. I think it says something about their quality and heart.

Oh gosh! I was glued to the screen watching the new HP trailer!!!! It looks SO good! I mean, I read the book, so I know what's going to happen, but when I'm watching the trailer I'm like, "Wow! What's going to happen!?" hehe! I'm thrilled the movies have done such a wonderful job of representing the books (at least, I think so. I know some don't, but given the films' time constraints I can really appreciate how they've done it). Did you see the JK interview with Oprah? I think there are clips on the Oprah website. :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I think they've done a great job with the movies, too, and I saw some of the interview. Do you think that she would really write another book? She's a fantastic writer, but I think the series ended perfectly where it was.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Yeah, it's hard to think of other HP books being written... then again, I can't imagine how hard it would be to go that many years living with those characters and then *not* write something more about them, so I can understand her not wanting to say "never" (though, I do think the series ended well, too!)

I do hope she writes *something* though - HP or not. I heard she was writing a political fantasy for MG, but that was a while ago and I'm not sure if it was true. I, too, think she's a fantastic writer! I'm always amazed at her ability to craft words and stories, characters and plots...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

That's true--it seems like if she's spent that long thinking about how they would act and talk, then they must still be having conversations in her head.

I'm really glad that they decided to make two movies, even though it means that I have to wait longer! I bet that before they decided, all the writers were panicing about how they were going to cut 800 pages into two hours. XD

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Haha! True!! I'm amazed they've been able to make the previous movies work so well - they are long books with loads of important stuff, and the adapters definitely have my respect!! :)

I, too, am glad they've decided to go to two movies. I think there's so little that they'd be able to cut and still have the ending be satisfying for both the book and film fans. Plus, it spreads out the joy and excitement just a little bit longer :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, they've done a fantastic job--to me, it seems like I'd have a hard time working in all the minor characters, but nothing in the movies feels excessive.

I think they're going to end the first movie after Voldemort takes the wand from Dumbledore's grave. I'm going to have to crack open my copy and see where exactly that happens!

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Yeah, I agree. I'm always happy when I see a little bit of Neville or Dean, or Flitwick :) I wonder how they manage it!!!

Oh yeah, I think you're right about the movie split! What a dramatic place to end it!! And I wonder how they'll start the second installment - whether it will just jump right in, or if there will be any recap...

I can't believe it's SO close to coming out! Only a few more weeks and I'll have to start watching for interviews, etc. :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, Flitwick! For some reason, when I was little and the first movie came out, I found it hilarious that he was standing on the desk.

I think it would be good to have some recap--that way they could show some Minor But Actually Important Detail that some people might have forgotten, or missed.

I know, less then a month now! It's really exciting.
By the way, did you that they're broadcasting recording of the Les Mis 25th Anniversary to some theaters? Even with Nick Jonas, I'm ecstatic that I'll be able to see it!

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Haha, yup! Flitwick cracks me up!!! :D I'm so anxious to see all the characters (hopefully) make appearances in the next two films! :)

NO! I did not know they are broadcasting the new Les Mis!! On PBS or...?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

It's coming to movie theaters! One night, on November 17th. I'm so happy that it's coming to one in my area!

message 23: by Candy (last edited Nov 18, 2010 05:18PM) (new)

Candy Reed (CandyGirl21) | 14 comments Oh, I just saw the Les Mis concert last night, It was great!!! Loved it! If you saw, what did you think???

I dont see movies alot in theaters, I always wait till they come out so I can get them at the Red Box :-)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I thought it was fantastic! The only one I really had a problem with was Nick Jonas, because he didn't really seem...I don't know...loud enough to be singing the songs, and he didn't really seem to put in much emotion. Oh, well, can't have everything. I really liked the new orchestrations, and a bunch of other things that I can rattle on about. XD

I heard they might be making a movie out of the musical, although the idea's been around for a while and nothing's come of it yet.

message 25: by Candy (new)

Candy Reed (CandyGirl21) | 14 comments Ew Nick Jonas, They Almost Completely ruined it with him, But Since its Les Mis, It think it was grand!

Ooooh Movie! Yay! I will definitly be going to see that if it comes out!!
Who is staring in it? Please dont let it be Nick Jonas!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's still in development, so no one's cast yet, although I agree on the Nick Jonas thing.

I hope that they spend a lot of time thinking it out, because it seems, at least to me, that you only really get one shot at turning a musical into a movie. I just can't imagine anyone making another Phantom of the Opera, or Rent, because there must only be so many ways that you can film those songs.

message 27: by Candy (new)

Candy Reed (CandyGirl21) | 14 comments Haha, My sister is OBSESSED with Jonas Brothers and Justin Beiber, I hate both.

I agree, Lots and Lots of thinking. If they ruin it, Its ruined, It will be THE Les Mis Movie. Sure, Some people will make other Les Mis movies, but Those will just be REMAKES, They cant screw up or they will be history!!!!!!

EEEK! I Love Phantom :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay, another Phan! I wonder if they'll make a movie of the sequel, Love Never Dies. It would be...interesting, at least. It might seem a little disconnected if they couldn't get the same actors as the first one.

message 29: by Candy (last edited Nov 29, 2010 03:39PM) (new)

Candy Reed (CandyGirl21) | 14 comments Yep, I'm a Fan of Phan! Haha :) Love Never Dies Is going to be great!!! I cant wait till it comes out! I dont think they are getting the same actors, but it will still be great!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, it sounds like it'll be really good! I've listened to some of the songs on the Internet, but not all of them. It's amazing how high people can make their voices go!

message 31: by Candy (last edited Dec 05, 2010 04:03PM) (new)

Candy Reed (CandyGirl21) | 14 comments Oh Yeah, Some of the songs are great!!!
Musicals are like Gods gift to freaks like me! Haha :-) Not calling you a freak or anything! You are perfectly normal.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

No, that's okay! I can be a little weird, in that I like to talk about dead historical people and book chararcters like I actually know them. ;)

message 33: by Candy (new)

Candy Reed (CandyGirl21) | 14 comments Haha, We can be freaks ( or weird-o's) together!! I always seem to find myself thinking of the perfect way to die, Even though Death is scary and there is no way to escape the pain. Im Weird haha

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Myself, I'd like to die of old age. ;)

message 35: by Candy (new)

Candy Reed (CandyGirl21) | 14 comments Wow I havent been on here In a while! haha, Merry christmas! did you have a good day?

Well I would like to die old, But I think a dramatic death would fit me great. Something like falling from a tall building or being murdered. Lol I am dramatic.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I had a great Christmas! Lots of nice books, and some about screenwriting that I'll have to reveiw.

I'm not very good about dramatic deaths--I'll probably never be able to write a good horror film. Oh, well, lots of other options. Is there a genre that you really like?

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Okay, wow! So, I finally saw that the new Les Miz concert was on PBS (yay!!!) and then I realized it's been AGES since I've posted here! (so sorry!!! I think I got behind on my posts - yet again - and just never got caught up). Anyway - did either of you see the PBS special?

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, yes I did! It's amazing. I've decided that Alfie Bo is the Valjean of this age, and Katie Hall is my new favorite Cosette.

message 39: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments I only got about half of it taped and have been wanting to watch with my sister, but I really enjoyed what I've seen so far! :D Pleasantly surprised for sure!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I was really pleased with it. I also like the Gavroche that they had--that little wink at the end of Stars! Cheeky fellow.

message 41: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments I haven't seen Gavroche yet, but that sounds awesome!! :)
How was the young Cosette?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

She was sweet--I like little kids with British accents. Except that Nick Jonas was /trying/ to do the accent, but it sounds really forced. If you've read the above comments, you know how I feel about Nick Jonas!

message 43: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Lol!!

And yes, kids with British accents are so great! They always sound so nice and proper, even when they're angry, hehe!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I really like British slang too. Like calling red hair 'ginger', I think it's really cute.

message 45: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Oh! I *love* that too!!! I think I adopted several new terms ever since I started reading Harry Potter ;-) Git and Prat are among some of my favs lol!
How about "Biscuit" instead of cookie - that's a great one :)

message 46: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Mm, and sweeties for candy :)

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes, biscuits are wonderful. And chips instead of fries. The British have great taste in food, in my opinion. :)